Adopting jUnit Attachments Plugin

peterjoh...@gmail.com

Aug 2, 2018, 6:41:25 PM8/2/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hey!

I would love to adopt the junit attachments plugin and get more involved with the Jenkins. I tried reaching out to the maintainer but I bet they are super busy: https://github.com/jenkinsci/junit-attachments-plugin/issues/20

It doesn't look like this plugin is being maintained though because it has stale PRs.

jenkins id: pjhampton

Happy to discuss

Thanks
Pete

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 5, 2018, 5:30:15 AM8/5/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hello Pete,

Thanks you for the interest! If you ping once in GitHub, the message may easily go missing.
Many people receive more notifications from GitHub than they can actually handle.
Do not hesitate to ping again.

I will ask Jesse to take a look at this thread.

BR, Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 5, 2018, 5:37:41 AM8/5/18
to JenkinsCI Developers, Jesse Glick
// Added the current maintainer to CC

We consider it is an ownership request, the maintainer has 2 weeks to reply.
Pete, if you do not get a reply within 2 weeks, please ping in this thread again so that we transfer ownership.

BR, Oleg

Peter John Hampton

Aug 6, 2018, 3:46:51 AM8/6/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Awesome. Thanks Oleg!

Jesse Glick

Aug 6, 2018, 10:01:41 AM8/6/18
to Jenkins Dev
On Sun, Aug 5, 2018 at 5:30 AM Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Many people receive more notifications from GitHub than they can actually handle.

In fact I do not see such pings at all, I am afraid.

As to maintainership, I do not consider myself a maintainer. I may
have cut a 1.5 release to get some particular fixes in, since nobody
else was doing it.

I *do* expect to be making (i.e., proposing) some substantial changes
to the plugin, probably in the upcoming weeks, in order to support
external test result storage. It is hard to say offhand if any of the
currently open PRs would seriously conflict with such work, though I
doubt it. More of concern to me is the high number of open PRs in the
`junit` plugin, which also seems to lack any active maintainer, but
due to its central place in Jenkins is quite sensitive—any regressions
will hit a lot of people.

Pete do you have some Jenkins plugin development experience? You may
want to start off by triaging existing issue reports (reproducible?
still valid? etc.), and working through the open PRs—if they seem to
be accomplishing something important, get them mergeable against
`master` and make sure they have test coverage (i.e., something that
fails if you `git checkout master -- src/main && mvn clean test`). Or
filing new stuff for issues that interest you, etc. At any rate,
somebody paying attention to the plugin and tracking outstanding work
is a lot better than nobody, so thanks for anything you can do!

Peter John Hampton

Aug 7, 2018, 5:22:32 PM8/7/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hey Jesse!

Thanks for getting back to me - that's fine re notifications. Yes, I do have Jenkins plugin development. I maintain a private plugin in work and I'm keen to get into more open work. Yeah, for sure - happy to help on both the jUnit and jUnit attachment plugins. I can indeed triage these and filter out the ones that have gone stale. See you on Github!

Pete

Peter John Hampton

Aug 8, 2018, 3:39:40 PM8/8/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys,

So I went through the open PRs and left some comments on the attachments plugin. Nothing will conflict with strategic work. Saying that, you one of you please add me as a collaborator to that repo - and jUnit so I can close stuff out that has went stale and rerun CI stuff?

Thanks
Pete

Jesse Glick

Aug 9, 2018, 12:36:48 PM8/9/18
to Jenkins Dev
On Wed, Aug 8, 2018 at 3:39 PM Peter John Hampton
<peterjoh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> one of you please add me as a collaborator to [junit-attachments-plugin]

Oleg probably could. I have lost my “voice” to do so.

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 9, 2018, 12:43:24 PM8/9/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
Hi Jesse,

I can do so if you explicitly approve it.

BR, Oleg

Jesse Glick

Aug 9, 2018, 12:51:06 PM8/9/18
to Jenkins Dev
On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 12:43 PM Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I can do so if you explicitly approve it.

Go for it. Note that release upload permission is separate, but IIUC
@pjhampton is mainly interested for now in being able to close
obsolete PRs, fix up merge conflicts, that sort of thing.

`junit-plugin` write access is a much higher bar I guess. There was
some talk of having an Essentials team with permissions across all
these plugins.

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 9, 2018, 12:57:18 PM8/9/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
Should I also change the default assignee in JIRA?

Jesse Glick

Aug 9, 2018, 4:47:21 PM8/9/18
to Jenkins Dev
On Thu, Aug 9, 2018 at 12:57 PM Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Should I also change the default assignee in JIRA?

I have no opinion about that. Generally I find the default assignee
option to be a bad idea—you should assign an issue to yourself if and
when you plan to actually work on it, or someone has a specific reason
to think you are the one who _should_ work on it (for example because
you introduced a regression). If a plugin has only ever had one
maintainer, maybe it makes sense to just assume that any newly filed
issue is going to be handled by them or not at all.

Baptiste Mathus

Aug 14, 2018, 11:56:17 AM8/14/18
to Jenkins Developers
+1. I think there should not be a default assignee. It conveys the wrong message:
* That the assignee is going to look into the issue
* It probably hence discourages some people to try and propose a fix when they see someone is already working on it (they think)

Slide

Aug 14, 2018, 11:59:40 AM8/14/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I somewhat disagree with this, as I generally only see emails about issues if I am assigned to it (maybe my settings are setup incorrectly somewhere?). If I don't get emails, the issue will sit without me looking at it for a fairly long period of time, which means the person could get discouraged in that case as well since no one sees the issue.

Peter John Hampton

Aug 14, 2018, 12:10:44 PM8/14/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I also disagree. I reckon the best way is to assign the maintainer (however, this word seems rather loaded in Jenkins world). If the assignee doesn’t want to work on it for whatever reason they could free it up by unassigning and labelling the issue appropriately.

This seems like a separate discussion though.

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 14, 2018, 12:12:16 PM8/14/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
I agree with Alex. I believe that plugin maintainers should be default assignees.
Maintainers should be triaging the issues, verifying their validity and then unassigning themselves when they do not plan to work on them.

Otherwise we get to the case when many issues are invalid or mis-reported. And it causes lot of problems:
  • People get discouraged, as Alex mentioned. When a user reports an issue, he is likely expecting some kind of response (at least acknoldgement)
  • Potential plugin contributors/adopters get lost in the tons of BS reports in JIRA, which have never been triaged
  • People do mess up components a lot, things like jenkins-* and pipeline are affected a lot
Alternative way would be to get all issues reported to the "_unsorted" component by common users (so a limited number of users can report to components directly). In such case a team of reviewers could be triaging issues and providing a first response. It would also help maintainers to work effectively instead of spending much time on invalid reports. Many projects use "_unsorted"-alike components in their trackers.

We have it as well, and I triage reports there. But it does not really work well when people report issues randomly. Nowadays I take a look at the entire list of incoming issues (on a ~daily basis). If we had a number of JIRA reviewers (e.g. 3-4 people), we could really change the model in JIRA and prevent random reporting at all. If there is somebody interested, I could create a writeup for such conversion in JIRA model.

BR, Oleg

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/5C1DA500-5BDC-4516-802B-5915D55A139C%40gmail.com.

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 23, 2019, 4:57:39 PM8/23/19
to Jenkins Developers