Proposal: Embedded and HW-and-EDA special interest groups

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 7, 2019, 7:33:50 PM1/7/19
to JenkinsCI Developers, Jenkins Users
Dear all,

I would like to start two new special interest groups in Jenkins: Embedded SIG and "Hardware and Electronic Design Automation" (HW and EDA) SIG. Just to provide some background, I have originally came from the Hardware/Embedded area, and industry-specific CI/CD is still one of my main interests. Since JEP-4 "Special Interest Groups" was proposed in 2018, I have had a number of discussions with Jenkins users in these areas. There is a LOT of them, Jenkins is a de-facto standard in the industry thanks to its flexibility and the framework nature.

Embedded/HW automation engineers are generally less active in Jenkins user/developer mailing lists, because in many cases their use-cases and demands differ from the Jenkins community mainstream (Java/Docker/K8s/etc/etc.). It would be great if we could offer channels for such area-specific discussions so that we can get more contributors involved in the community.

I would like both SIGs to be user groups focused on sharing experiences about Jenkins usage for specific use-cases and in the specific environments. SIGs may also work on improving documentation (e.g. solutions pages), and be a contact point for some development activities (plugins for development tools, etc.). Generally I would like to start from chats/mailing lists and monthly meetings in both SIGs.

Why 2 SIGs? Although hardware and embedded use-cases overlap sometimes (e.g. testing on hardware, mixed design), I lean towards having two separate SIGs. Embedded SIG would focus on embedded software and high-level devices for various areas (e.g. Automotive, IoT, etc.) while HW-and-EDA SIG would focus on the hardware design for ASICs and FPGAs.

I will appreciate any feedback. If somebody is interested to help organizing the SIGs and driving them, please let me know.

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

martinda

Jan 7, 2019, 7:51:37 PM1/7/19
to Jenkins Developers
Oleg,

I am definitely interested in joining the HW-and-EDA SIG. I do not have an interest in embedded at this time.

What does "driving one of them" imply? I do not want to over-commit and under-deliver.

Martin

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 7, 2019, 8:27:47 PM1/7/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Martin,

In this case "driving" rather means facilitating the discussions in the SIG, running regular meetings, and attracting people to the SIG so that it gets a critical mass to become self-sustainable. I would not anticipate a tremendous amount of time to be required there, especially if there are multiple SIG leaders.

For common SIG participants there is no specific time commitment at all. Any contributions will be  much appreciated, that's it.

BR, Oleg

Slide

Jan 7, 2019, 9:58:19 PM1/7/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
We do significant amounts of embedded work in my place of work, I would be interested in being part of that SIG. I would help drive it if no one else is available or wants to do that part.

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 8, 2019, 4:31:11 PM1/8/19
to JenkinsCI Developers, Jenkins Users
Hi all,

According to the feedback here and in the chats, I believe it makes sense to proceed with creating the SIGs. While we wait for the additional feedback, I have created the Gitter channels so that we can discuss next steps there:

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPiUgVfkFQe_fFZYEZ2X5wxcg3nsULTsBGckVm0vdvh8WNJE%2Bg%40mail.gmail.com.