Update center contains git release candidate that is not good enough

Mark Waite

Feb 7, 2019, 2:35:08 AM2/7/19
to jenkinsci-dev
I am on a much needed family vacation. Before leaving on that vacation, I wanted to deliver the latest pre-release of the git client plugin and the git plugin.  I chose a version string 3.0.0-rc for the git client and 4.0.0-rc for the git plugin.

Unfortunately, that version string caused the release to appear in the update center in addition to the experimental update center.

I'm grateful for the feedback from early adopters, even if some of the sarcasm feels a bit heavy handed.

If it is feasible, I would like to pull git plugin 4.0.0-rc and git client plugin 3.0.0-rc from the update center. Is that feasible?

My sincere apologies to the users suffering due to my choice of version string and my failure to read the experimental update center documentation closely enough.

Mark Waite

Baptiste Mathus

Feb 7, 2019, 6:37:13 AM2/7/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hello Mark,

If you have a quick look to approve, to check I didn't forget anything.

Please enjoy your vacation. We all know the hard work you're putting from your personal time into the git plugins. I am deeply sorry about the bad behavior of some entitled users who report their issue in an unacceptable way.

Thanks!

Mark Waite

Feb 7, 2019, 7:05:40 AM2/7/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks very much! Change reviewed and approved
>> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAO49JtF1DWabYBGT9fHz%3D81cZd0vTy-yd7Xw_V3eQTRb5Bno2g%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
>> .

Thanks!
Mark Waite

Robert Sandell

Feb 8, 2019, 6:59:51 AM2/8/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Adding -rc releases to the experimental update center might be a thing we should do?

/B

Robert Sandell
Software Engineer
CloudBees, Inc.
CloudBees-Logo.png
Twitter: robert_sandell

Baptiste Mathus

Feb 8, 2019, 10:08:29 AM2/8/19
to Jenkins Developers
Very good point. I've considered it very quickly but ditched it to support current state.
But it should actually be trivial to check which releases would become hidden with such a change, and decide what to do given that.

Also, I _think_ this wouldn't impact Incrementals anyway as anyway it's a different repo and not exposed already (Incremental releases contain rc). But a confirmation from Jesse would be good I suppose.