ANN: Agent Docker images renaming on April 12-13

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 10, 2020, 5:06:38 PM4/10/20
to JenkinsCI Developers, Jenkins Platform SIG
Dear all,

We will be renaming Jenkins agent Docker images on Sunday/Monday in order to get rid of the "slave" terminology in image names. Scope: current "jenkins/slave", "jenkins/jnlp-slave" and "jenkins/ssh-slave" images. The renaming will involve renaming repositories on GitHub and re-configuring repositories on DockerHub. See INFRA-1105 for more info.

Potential impact:
  • There might be some disruptions for developers who rely on the images or use GitHub APIs to fetch repositories (no all APIs and GtHub Apps handle renaming correctly).
  • There should be no issues for Jenkins users, we will keep delivery flows for old naming so they will have time to migrate.
    • Migration period is TBD, because many components will need follow-up updates (e.g. some Docker and Kubernetes plugins), not to speak about user. I would suggest to target 1 year of support
I will submit a blogpost with the migration summary once it is completed.

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 12, 2020, 3:13:48 AM4/12/20
to Jenkins Developers
While we are here, I suggest to rename "jenkins/jnlp-slave" to "jenkins/inbound-agent" instead of merely replacing a single term.
"JNLP" terminology is also deprecated, and with WebSockets support it creates even more confusion.

BR, Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 12, 2020, 4:12:27 AM4/12/20
to Jenkins Developers
Also, I am not sure about using "jenkins/ssh-build-agent" as an image name for SSH agents. Would appreciate opinions/suggestions. Maybe "ssh-outbound-agent" though it may sound greek to users?

Gavin Mogan

Apr 12, 2020, 4:36:19 AM4/12/20
to Jenkins Developers
sshd-agent?

Tim Jacomb

Apr 12, 2020, 8:33:35 AM4/12/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1 to inbound agent rename

What about just ssh-agent for the ssh one? We don’t need to worry about the plugin name clash here I think

Thanks
Tim

Marky Jackson

Apr 12, 2020, 8:47:45 AM4/12/20
to Jenkins Developers
+1 to renaming

Mark Waite

Apr 12, 2020, 9:51:33 AM4/12/20
to jenkinsci-dev
+1 for inbound agent rename.

I am not a big fan of "ssh-outbound-agent" and would find "ssh-agent" confusing with the ssh-agent command I use in my shell.  I like Gavin's suggestion of 'sshd-agent'.  That resonates with me because I recognize sshd as distinct from ssh-agent.  However, others may not find that distinction as clear as it seems to me.

On Sun, Apr 12, 2020 at 6:47 AM Marky Jackson <marky.r...@gmail.com> wrote:
+1 to renaming

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 12, 2020, 10:00:04 AM4/12/20
to JenkinsCI Developers
Thanks all! I will proceed with inbound-agent renaming tonight if no negative feedback.

Regarding the SSH agent image, will wait till tomorrow to get more feedback.

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAO49JtGi61_bhpiOkXLQtOXRQuL4fQq4m%3DGqw%2B-KRHUy4jdTwA%40mail.gmail.com.

Ivan Fernandez Calvo

Apr 13, 2020, 3:10:53 AM4/13/20
to Jenkins Developers
sshd-agent sounds fine to me

Daniel Beck

Apr 13, 2020, 6:16:25 AM4/13/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 12. Apr 2020, at 15:59, Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Regarding the SSH agent image, will wait till tomorrow to get more feedback.

The plugin is now called "SSH Build Agents", so it makes sense to me to call the corresponding image ssh-build-agent.

In fact, all the labels on https://hub.docker.com/r/jenkins/ssh-slave are already consistent with that. Any negative feedback on that since you introduced that?

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 13, 2020, 6:47:58 AM4/13/20
to JenkinsCI Developers
We did not receive any negative feedback about "SSH Build Agents" AFAICT. This is also my preference at the moment: https://github.com/jenkinsci/docker-ssh-slave/pull/50

Tim Jacomb

Apr 13, 2020, 7:40:53 AM4/13/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPfivLB%3DjiicZbY4GbdiKetK0H1rBMPEo%2Bonk_YoXAnm14eQjw%40mail.gmail.com.

Mark Waite

Apr 13, 2020, 8:04:58 AM4/13/20
to jenkinsci-dev
ssh-build-agents sounds great to me.  +1

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 13, 2020, 4:52:17 PM4/13/20
to Jenkins Developers
Just to summarize the vote for SSH images:
  • "ssh-agent" - (Tim, Jesse - in PR, Alex, Mark - in Gitter)
  • "ssh-build-agent" - (Daniel, Mark, Tim - in PR, Alex - in PR)
  • "sshd-agent" - (Ivan, Mark, Gavin)
After some consideration, I decided to abstain since I neither use nor plan to use this image.
My pull request is already built for "ssh-agent", so I will go ahead and setup DockerHub builds for this image.
If there are strong opinions, we have 1-2 extra days to revisit naming before the blogpost is shipped.

Best regards,
Oleg

On Monday, April 13, 2020 at 2:04:58 PM UTC+2, Mark Waite wrote:
ssh-build-agents sounds great to me.  +1

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 5:40 AM Tim Jacomb <timja...@gmail.com> wrote:
+1

On Mon, Apr 13, 2020, 12:16 Daniel Beck <m...@beckweb.net> wrote:

> On 12. Apr 2020, at 15:59, Oleg Nenashev <o.v.n...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Regarding the SSH agent image, will wait till tomorrow to get more feedback.

The plugin is now called "SSH Build Agents", so it makes sense to me to call the corresponding image ssh-build-agent.

In fact, all the labels on https://hub.docker.com/r/jenkins/ssh-slave are already consistent with that. Any negative feedback on that since you introduced that?

Marky Jackson

Apr 13, 2020, 4:54:28 PM4/13/20
to Jenkins Developers
I vote for jenkins/ssh-agent

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/bb22bf86-b71b-4627-9d66-d20ecf9bcf33%40googlegroups.com.

signature.asc

Oliver Gondža

Apr 14, 2020, 2:13:47 AM4/14/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I vote for ssh-build-agent as I find it a bit more clear next to
ssh-agent. The sshd-agent describes what is inside rather than what is
there for the customer.

--
oliver

Daniel Beck

Apr 14, 2020, 6:26:49 AM4/14/20
to JenkinsCI Developers
On Mon, Apr 13, 2020 at 10:52 PM Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
My pull request is already built for "ssh-agent", so I will go ahead and setup DockerHub builds for this image.
If there are strong opinions, we have 1-2 extra days to revisit naming before the blogpost is shipped.

AFAIUI, ssh-slaves wasn't called "SSH Agents" plugin less because of "SSH Agent" plugin, but more because of the confusion around "ssh-agent" the program.

Why does this not apply here?

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 15, 2020, 4:00:43 AM4/15/20
to Jenkins Developers
It applies there in principle, but I do not see a major use case for "ssh-agent" tool being ran as a Docker container. OTOH I might be wrong: https://hub.docker.com/r/nuodb/ssh-agent

Personally I do not feel strongly about the name, and I am ready to follow the majority here. So far we are at 50/50 without clear majority. How could we get it?
  • Governance meeting voting? The majority of contributors do not show up there nowadays
  • This mailing list?
  • Twitter poll? Can do it right away, but it creates more visibility than educated feedback by voters
Regarding the current status, we have already merged "jenkins/ssh-agent" and fixed the delivery Pipelines for it, for both Linux and Windows flows. Renaming is easy, because now we know all the pitfalls.

Best regards,
Oleg

Jon Brohauge

Apr 22, 2020, 6:13:39 AM4/22/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Oleg et. al,

Regarding the renaming to jnlp-slave -> inbound-agent, will there be a similar jnlp-slave-with-java-build-tools -> inbound-agent-with-java-build-tools?

I know that it is possible to do the "with-java-build-tools" part oneself, it is IMHO easier to rely on an image that already works out of the box.

Best regards,

Jon Brohauge

Jesse Glick

Apr 22, 2020, 8:43:35 AM4/22/20
to Jenkins Dev
On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 6:13 AM Jon Brohauge <jonbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding the renaming to jnlp-slave -> inbound-agent, will there be a similar jnlp-slave-with-java-build-tools -> inbound-agent-with-java-build-tools?

That is a `cloudbees` image. Not sure whether it is actively maintained.

Slide

Apr 22, 2020, 8:45:40 AM4/22/20
to Jenkins Developer List
Hi Jon,

I don't see such an image being already published by Jenkins. Can you specify where you are getting it?

Regards,

Alex

Jon Brohauge

Apr 22, 2020, 8:53:22 AM4/22/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Yup. I saw that after I posted.
Since we are relying on this particular image, we are on our own, as in "nobody did an image, yet".
I'll try to see if I can migrate the "with-java-build-tools" part into our own image.

Oleg Nenashev

May 7, 2020, 8:02:00 AM5/7/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

We have announced the renaming: https://www.jenkins.io/blog/2020/05/06/docker-agent-image-renaming/. After the discussion at the Platform SIG we went forward with the "jenkins/ssh-agent" image, but with a disclaimer that it might be changed again.If anyone is feeling strongly about the name and willing to make this change, please feel free to drive this story.

Since we are relying on this particular image, we are on our own, as in "nobody did an image, yet".
Better late than never, there is a https://github.com/jenkinsci/jnlp-agents repository with "convenience images" based on jenkins/inbound-agent. Maven/Java image is there, for example.
If you are interested, these images could be updated to include more tools if needed

On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 2:43 PM Jesse Glick <jgl...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
On Wed, Apr 22, 2020 at 6:13 AM Jon Brohauge <jonbr...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Regarding the renaming to jnlp-slave -> inbound-agent, will there be a similar jnlp-slave-with-java-build-tools -> inbound-agent-with-java-build-tools?

That is a `cloudbees` image. Not sure whether it is actively maintained.

Jon Brohauge

May 11, 2020, 10:55:40 AM5/11/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi All,

I've been mulling over my attempt to do a custom jenkins-agent for a few days now. Starting out by using the jenkinsci/jnlp-agent, and building stuff in on it from there. Creating my docker image is successful. Using the custom-agent in my ecs cluster works. Using it in my kubernetes cluster, not so much. I can see that the container spins up using "kubectl --namespace jenkins describe pods [custom-agent-instance]"

From what I observe my custom-agent gets spun up alongside an obligatory "jenkins/jnlp-slave:4.0.1-1". AFAICT trying to do a simple "java -version" does not show the version of java that I have inside my own agent-image, but the version in the jnlp-slave image. I followed the excellent video tutorial by Marky Jackson (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4hKSXjCqyI). I have even tried to do the same test "java -vertsion" with the jenkins/jnlp-slave:latest, which should show java 11. However same result as before. What am I doing wrong? Somehow pipeline does not get handed over to "my" image.

Any help is appreciated

Regards,
Jon

Slide

May 11, 2020, 12:31:13 PM5/11/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
It might be better to start a new thread instead or reusing this one. FYI, you should be using jenkins/inbound-agent instead of jenkins/jnlp-slave. The latest will be Java 8, not Java 11.