Proposal: Release Break during holiday season

Andres Rodriguez

Nov 16, 2017, 5:02:22 PM11/16/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi All,

IIRC in the last couple of years (at least) there have been a small break of the normal release cycles during the holiday season. I've seen no discussion on the topic yet so I would like to start it, as this information may be relevant for the planning of time off for many people involved or affected (directly or indirectly) by the release dates.

An initial proposal would be, as in previous years, a 2-week break. Looking at this year's calendar and the current planned schedule, my proposal would be to introduce these two weeks in the 2.89.2 RC testing period, so the schedule would be:
  • Dec 6th 2017: LTS 2.89.1 (as planned).
  • Dec 10th 2017: Weekly 2.94 (as planned).
  • Dec 17th 2017: Weekly 2.95 (as planned).
  • Dec 20th 2017: LTS 2.89.2 RC (as planned).
  • Dec 24th 2017: Skipped weekly
  • Dec 31st 2017: Skipped weekly
  • Jan 3rd 2018: Skipped LTS.
  • Jan 7th 2018: Weekly 2.96
  • Jan 14th 2018: Weekly 2.97
  • Jan 17th 2018: LTS 2.89.2
  • Jan 21st 2018: Weekly 2.98
WDYT?

I've proposed this topic for the agenda of the governance meeting of Nov 22nd.

Thanks!

Andres Rodriguez

Mark Waite

Nov 16, 2017, 5:40:27 PM11/16/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
That seems very reasonable to me.  Skipping those releases sounds find to me.

Mark Waite

Daniel Beck

Nov 16, 2017, 6:48:24 PM11/16/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 16. Nov 2017, at 23:02, Andres Rodriguez <arodr...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> IIRC in the last couple of years (at least) there have been a small break of the normal release cycles during the holiday season.

Correct -- 2015/2016 we delayed 1.642.1 for two weeks, and 2016/2017 we delayed 2.32.2 for two weeks.

We have the slack in the schedule -- so we should make use of it if we expect any impact on holidays on our ability to deliver solid releases.

> • Dec 20th 2017: LTS 2.89.2 RC (as planned).

Wouldn't it be advantageous to move this RC back to Jan 3 to allow for more flexibility in backporting late fixes? Or is there an advantage to having a four week RC testing period?

> • Dec 24th 2017: Skipped weekly
> • Dec 31st 2017: Skipped weekly

I don't think there's a need to plan to skip weeklies -- up to KK's availability and out ability to merge relevant changes during this period. I see this as independent from the LTS schedule.

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 20, 2017, 2:31:16 AM11/20/17
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

LTS release break looks good to me.
We have lots of pending  bugfix-alike changes in pull requests, and these 2 weeks also give a chance to integrate more into Weekly releases and then consider these changes for .3 backporting.

Wouldn't it be advantageous to move this RC back to Jan 3 to allow for more flexibility in backporting late fixes? Or is there an advantage to having a four week RC testing period?
+1, we just need to stay a bit conservative while backporting the things. Or we could have RC-1 and RC-2 (in the case we plan to do weeklies)

BR, Oleg

Oliver Gondža

Nov 20, 2017, 3:14:20 AM11/20/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On 2017-11-20 08:31, Oleg Nenashev wrote:
> Hi,
>
> LTS release break looks good to me.
> We have lots of pending  bugfix-alike changes in pull requests, and
> these 2 weeks also give a chance to integrate more into Weekly releases
> and then consider these changes for .3 backporting.
>
> Wouldn't it be advantageous to move this RC back to Jan 3 to allow
> for more flexibility in backporting late fixes? Or is there an
> advantage to having a four week RC testing period?
>
> +1, we just need to stay a bit conservative while backporting the
> things. Or we could have RC-1 and RC-2 (in the case we plan to do weeklies)

I have no strong feelings here. Given the number of potential candidates
Oleg mentioned, It would probably be better to extend the backporting
period so there is more time to integrate those changes. That would be:

* Dec 6th 2017: LTS 2.89.1 (as planned).
* Jan 3rd 2018: LTS 2.89.2 RC.
* Jan 17th 2018: LTS 2.89.2

I do not think 4 week testing window add much value if spread over holidays.

--
oliver

Andres Rodriguez

Nov 20, 2017, 4:40:51 AM11/20/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I had added the two weeks to the testing period assuming weeklies would be taking the break as well, but given that that is not needed, using them for backporting makes more sense as you all comment.

Thanks!

Manuel Jesús Recena Soto

Nov 20, 2017, 4:45:12 AM11/20/17
to Jenkins Developers
Hello,

[...]

It makes sense.

I've proposed this topic for the agenda of the governance meeting of Nov 22nd.

Thanks!

Andres Rodriguez

Manuel Recena Soto
* manuelrecena.com [/blog]
* linkedin.com/in/recena

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Nov 22, 2017, 1:01:19 PM11/22/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
My +1 absentee vote for this in case I miss that portion of the meeting today

Manuel Recena Soto
* manuelrecena.com [/blog]
* linkedin.com/in/recena

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Oleg Nenashev

Dec 18, 2017, 7:29:37 PM12/18/17
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

Just to make sure, do we plan to spin 2.89.3 and 2.89.4 according to this plan? There was an out-of-order release of 2.89.2, but I'd guess it does not change the 2.89.x lifetime for major releases.

If yes, then...
  • The new LTS baseline will be selected at the Governance meeting on Feb 14 (Valentine's day... hm...)
  • Target release date for the new LTS line is March 14, 2018.

Is it correct?

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

Daniel Beck

Dec 18, 2017, 9:06:40 PM12/18/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 19. Dec 2017, at 01:29, Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Just to make sure, do we plan to spin 2.89.3 and 2.89.4 according to this plan? There was an out-of-order release of 2.89.2, but I'd guess it does not change the 2.89.x lifetime for major releases.
>
> If yes, then...
> • The new LTS baseline will be selected at the Governance meeting on Feb 14 (Valentine's day... hm...)
> • Target release date for the new LTS line is March 14, 2018.
> Is it correct?

Yes. The schedule will not be impacted by the unscheduled release last week. All version numbers will just be off by one compared to the regular plan (e.g. mid January will be .3 rather than .2).