LTS next week to change repo signing keys

Mark Waite

Jul 22, 2020, 3:29:47 PM7/22/20
to Jenkins Developers
The core release automation process has been used to deliver weekly releases since mid-April.  It was used to deliver the weekly security release recently.  We are ready to deliver the Long Term Support (LTS) releases with core release automation.

Olivier Vernin has been the lead implementer of core release automation work.  He'll be unavailable in August.  We'd like to deliver an LTS next week, while he is still available.  We'll use that delivery to train others and verify the release process documentation.  We'll then run future core releases entirely from the core release automation.

Proposal:

Create Jenkins 2.235.3 LTS release the week of July 27 using core release automation.  We'll use the current tip of the stable-2.235 branch.  build the same code as was used for Jenkins 2.235.2 with a single .  The changes between 2.235.2 and 2.235.3 would be:
  • Increment the version number from 2.235.2 to 2.235.3
  • Use the new repository signing key for the Debian/Ubuntu, Red Hat/CentOS, and OpenSUSE repositories
  • Use acceptance test harness version as committed on the stable-2.235 branch
We've been using the new repository signing keys with weekly builds for the last several months.  It is now time to switch to the new repository signing keys for the long term support releases.

Proposed steps:
  • Oliver Gondza approve the plan (as release officer)
  • Mark Waite prepare a blog post announcing the change of repository signing keys and the steps administrators must take to install the new repository keys
  • Mark Waite prepare the changelog and upgrade guide for Jenkins 2.235.3 with instructions for administrators to install the new repository keys
  • Olivier Vernin and Mark Waite generate the 2.235.3 LTS build July 27, 28, or 29 using the core release automation based on the current contents of the stable-2.235 branch
Comments, concerns, questions?

Thanks,
Mark Waite

Tim Jacomb

Jul 22, 2020, 3:58:50 PM7/22/20
to Jenkins Developers
+1 would be great to do one release while Olivier is around.

Would be good to have at least one user facing change in it, but I guess not required.

Thanks
Tim

Vlad Silverman

Jul 22, 2020, 4:16:42 PM7/22/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thank you Mark for issuing this proposal and clarifying the steps.
+1 from me as well.

Please don’t hesitate to ask if any help is needed.

Thx, Vlad

Oliver Gondža

Jul 23, 2020, 2:51:55 AM7/23/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Beck
I like the idea of dry-running the release procedure with no fixes
included. Also, thanks Mark and Olivier for working around you schedules
to get this implemented sooner rather than later.

Do I understand correctly that you suggest to otherwise continue with
2.235 line as it was planned, 2.235.4 RC on 29th of July and 2.235.4
Release on 12th of August?

Are there any objections to Mark's proposal?

--
oliver

Olblak

Jul 23, 2020, 3:20:55 AM7/23/20
to Jenkins Developers ML
Obviously I am fully in for releasing the next LTS from the new release environment.
> an email to jenkinsci-de...@googlegroups.com.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/7a1143ad-c09d-4278-8802-8eb161b327d6%40gmail.com.

Mark Waite

Jul 23, 2020, 2:42:05 PM7/23/20
to jenkinsci-dev, Daniel Beck
On Thu, Jul 23, 2020 at 12:51 AM Oliver Gondža <ogo...@gmail.com> wrote:
I like the idea of dry-running the release procedure with no fixes
included. Also, thanks Mark and Olivier for working around you schedules
to get this implemented sooner rather than later.

Do I understand correctly that you suggest to otherwise continue with
2.235 line as it was planned, 2.235.4 RC on 29th of July and 2.235.4
Release on 12th of August?

Yes, that's what I intended.  Sorry that I didn't state it directly.  I think a 2.235.4 RC on July 29 and a 2.235.4 release on August 12 is exactly the right thing to do.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/7a1143ad-c09d-4278-8802-8eb161b327d6%40gmail.com.

Mark Waite

Jul 26, 2020, 1:42:23 PM7/26/20
to jenkinsci-dev, Daniel Beck
https://github.com/jenkins-infra/jenkins.io/pull/3563 is the pull request that combines the blog post, the Jenkins 2.235.3 changelog, and the Jenkins 2.235.3 upgrade guide.

I'd love to have more suggestions for "Frequently Asked Questions" that could be answered in the blog post.