Releasing JCasC support for ghprb-plugin

Oliver Gondža

Jan 6, 2021, 4:18:44 AM1/6/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, sam.m...@gmail.com
Hey, there is a long anticipated feature merged in in the plugin[1][2],
but no maintainer appears to be active to cut a release.

Are there any objections if I step in a do the release?

[1] https://github.com/jenkinsci/ghprb-plugin/pull/731
[2] https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-55793
--
oliver

Mark Waite

Jan 6, 2021, 9:02:05 AM1/6/21
to jenkinsci-dev, sam.m...@gmail.com
No objections from me.

Marky Jackson

Jan 6, 2021, 9:02:50 AM1/6/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, sam.m...@gmail.com
Same, no objections

Gavin Mogan

Jan 6, 2021, 11:45:23 AM1/6/21
to Jenkins Developers, sam.m...@gmail.com
If you do a release and there are new bugs are you going to handle them?

Without a maintainer it seems like deploying to prod and not monitoring afterwards.

Gavin

Matt Sicker

Jan 6, 2021, 11:53:37 AM1/6/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I'd prefer if this plugin has an actual maintainer. Otherwise, this
also seems like false advertising that the plugin is still supported
by anyone.

--
Matt Sicker
Senior Software Engineer, CloudBees

ogondza

Jan 22, 2021, 4:05:16 AM1/22/21
to Jenkins Developers
I understand it feels strange, though it is the second best thing we can do in case we lack a maintainer.

Matt Sicker

Jan 25, 2021, 12:56:03 PM1/25/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I'd argue that without a maintainer, a plugin would be better off
archived until someone with sufficient interest to maintain it
volunteers.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/8c9149bf-b71b-4184-a280-2280ad1eeb66n%40googlegroups.com.

Oliver Gondža

Jan 26, 2021, 4:34:10 AM1/26/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, b.ha...@rebuy.com
CCing the latest appointed maintainer.

On 25/01/2021 18.55, Matt Sicker wrote:
> I'd argue that without a maintainer, a plugin would be better off
> archived until someone with sufficient interest to maintain it
> volunteers.

We have plenty of plugins that are crucial to thousands of users with no
active maintainer. It is far from ideal, but yet the way it is.

I am concerned that if we insist of someone adopting plugins in order to
move some issue forward, we will only encourage people to make reckless
commitments and as a result have more plugins with _inactive_
maintainers appointed (since they would become maintainers to fix an
issue or two, but will not provide long term mainenance) and higher
maintainer fluctuation.
oliver