Request to become maintainer for docker-custom-build-environment-plugin

Jon Hermansen

Feb 9, 2018, 8:05:29 AM2/9/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

I'm a long time user of Jenkins. I've been involved somewhat in the community (was co-organizer of Los Angeles Jenkins Meetup), I've also submitted some minor bug fixes to various plugins on GitHub. Just yesterday, I ran into a bug in this plugin at $work, found that there's a PR open to fix it since April 2016, and I would like to get this fix in upstream if I could.

It looks like someone requested maintainership late last year, but the wiki page still mentions the need for one. I'd like to volunteer!

GitHub ID: jonhermansen

Jenkins ID: jh86

Please let me know what the next steps might be, and if I can do anything to help move the process along.

Thanks.

Jesse Glick

Feb 9, 2018, 8:27:12 AM2/9/18
to Jenkins Dev
BTW if I thought the plugin were maintained I might file an
integration with
https://github.com/jenkinsci/docker-commons-plugin/pull/67 (probably
easy).

Jon Hermansen

Feb 14, 2018, 10:45:35 PM2/14/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hey Jesse,

I'm not sure exactly what you mean. I'm managing Docker credentials using environment variables already, but I know this plugin does make use of some of docker-commons. I'm trying to get an existing functional bug fixed ( https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-34403 ), not necessarily add a feature.

Michael Neale mentioned that it's better for me to have the same Jenkins username as my GitHub account, so I created a new Jenkins user: jonhermansen

Sorry for the confusion. Let me know how I should proceed if posting here is not the correct forum.

Thanks.

Jesse Glick

Feb 15, 2018, 9:29:10 AM2/15/18
to Jenkins Dev
Posting here was correct. I was just adding a parenthetical comment
about extending a bug fix I had developed to work with this plugin as
well; you can disregard my message.

Jon Hermansen

Feb 16, 2018, 8:17:56 PM2/16/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Jesse. I'll look into the integration when I can. If you have any pointers on where to start, that would be helpful and much appreciated.

Jesse Glick

Feb 19, 2018, 10:44:53 AM2/19/18
to Jenkins Dev
On Fri, Feb 16, 2018 at 8:17 PM, Jon Hermansen <jon.he...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'll look into the integration when I can. If you have any
> pointers on where to start, that would be helpful and much appreciated.

As noted here:

https://github.com/jenkinsci/docker-commons-plugin/pull/67/files#diff-60b5ab8d453444035f0b8ba3f545e72dL208

you will need to edit probably one line like this:

https://github.com/jenkinsci/docker-workflow-plugin/pull/133/files#diff-e08bb051652127471aa34a2291b8fac2L65

here:

https://github.com/jenkinsci/docker-custom-build-environment-plugin/blob/c3d13510ee01733b82a81787768612afc5b76879/src/main/java/com/cloudbees/jenkins/plugins/docker_build_env/Docker.java#L67

(except your plugin is further behind so it was calling an even older
and more deprecated overload)

Probably what you will want is

registryEndpoint.newKeyMaterialFactory(build.getParent(),
build.getWorkspace(), launcher, listener, dockerExecutable)