Job Action that is initialized using SimpleBuildStep.LastBuildAction after Jenkins reboot

Tal Yanai

Sep 9, 2019, 7:32:25 AM9/9/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

I have a good working Project (Job) level Action that is being initialized by the build (yet an additional Action) as the latter implements SimpleBuildStep.LastBuildAction.

All works good after the pipeline steps are all done, and the build is over.  I see a link on the left menu (project), and as I clicked on it, there are some functions at the ProjectAction that are being called from within its corresponding index.jelly.

The only limitation is right after the Jenkins server restarts.  The link on the left sideline (produced by that ProjectAction) is still exist, although the Action was not yet initialized (as Jenkins was just restarted, and was yet to run even one build).

Is there any best practice to avoid this bad UX?  Either eliminate the link from the sideline till the build runs post restart, or somehow initialize the Action even without running the build (once I click on the link).

Thanks,

Tal.

Jesse Glick

Sep 9, 2019, 9:48:36 AM9/9/19
to Jenkins Dev
On Mon, Sep 9, 2019 at 7:32 AM Tal Yanai <t...@yanai.org.il> wrote:
> The only limitation is right after the Jenkins server restarts. The link on the left sideline (produced by that ProjectAction) is still exist, although the Action was not yet initialized (as Jenkins was just restarted, and was yet to run even one build).

If reproducible, sounds like a bug. I cannot think of any reason why a
Jenkins restart should affect the behavior here; the list of builds is
of course retained.