[PROPOSAL] Split js-libs repo in individual repos (one per module)

Victor Martinez

Nov 29, 2017, 6:47:36 AM11/29/17
to Jenkins Developers
Hi there,

I've seen when using maven multimodes git repos in Jenkins plugins are mostly based on the same general versioning, such as the previous pipeline-pluginblueocean, but I've found a minor discrepancy in that particular assumption and it's about the js-libs.

This particular repo combine different plugins and each plugin is a maven module with a different version, for instance:
I'd like to purpose to standardise as individual git repos therefore their release lifecycle and versioning can be independent and also get the benefits of using different parent POM versions. I know it might be a bit of overwhelming work (git repos, move history, Jenkins pipelines...), and no idea how to proceed (maybe raising a jira ticket in case we agree) but IMO it's worth to keep some homogenous standard. What do you think?

Cheers

Jesse Glick

Nov 29, 2017, 9:47:34 AM11/29/17
to Jenkins Dev, Tom Fennelly
On Wed, Nov 29, 2017 at 6:47 AM, Victor Martinez
<victormar...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'd like to purpose to standardise as individual git repos therefore their
> release lifecycle and versioning can be independent and also get the
> benefits of using different parent POM versions.

+1, makes sense. `maven-release-plugin` _can_ be run in subdirectories
but that is really not the conventional usage.

> I know it might be a bit of
> overwhelming work (git repos, move history, Jenkins pipelines...)

Probably not that hard. I would not bother moving history (i.e., `git
filter-branch` black magic) in this case, since there are only 126
commits, and the history is not all that interesting—it is not likely
someone three years from now is going to want to `git bisect` why some
version number was incremented in a `package.json`.

> no
> idea how to proceed (maybe raising a jira ticket in case we agree)

Probably just requires the usual `HOSTING` ticket if there is
consensus. Do you expect to help maintain this stuff? Adding Tom
Fennelly to CC.

Victor Martinez

Nov 30, 2017, 7:57:35 AM11/30/17
to Jenkins Developers
Awesome! I'm not really planning to do any maintenance though, let's see then what others think about this