Adopting xUnit plugin

Nikolas Falco

Apr 9, 2018, 6:35:41 AM4/9/18
to Jenkins Developers
I know that the xUnit plugin was already adopted on 15/11/2017 (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!searchin/jenkinsci-dev/xunit%7Csort:date/jenkinsci-dev/RROnSHD36-A/u4DcVHygAQAJ)

Jimilian, one month ago had ask news about movement on the plugin (for example pending PRs already approved by Oleg).
In my society we are using xUnit but recently we had a blocking issue. We already open a PR and a JIRA issue (JENKINS-50658) but from what I can see there are not commits on the plugin since 2016 and no response to any JIRA issue.

Maybe abayer is very busy in develop of other cloudbee plugins so if is not a problem I would be added as co-adopter (at least) of the xUnit plugin to manage and fix (at least) the actual approved PRs, move plugin under pipeline, update parent pom and other minor fixes.

Best Regards
Falco Nikolas

Andrew Bayer

Apr 11, 2018, 5:48:35 PM4/11/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
That'd be fine by me.

A.

Nikolas Falco

Apr 15, 2018, 3:32:25 AM4/15/18
to Jenkins Developers

Il giorno mercoledì 11 aprile 2018 23:48:35 UTC+2, Andrew Bayer ha scritto:
That'd be fine by me.

A.
On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 6:35 AM, 'Nikolas Falco' via Jenkins Developers <jenkin...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
[...]

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 16, 2018, 5:12:48 AM4/16/18
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks for it Nikolas!
Please feel free to ping me or code-reviewers if you need any help with reviews.

Best regards,
Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

May 2, 2018, 5:07:43 AM5/2/18
to Jenkins Developers
Today we were reviewing the XUnit implementation together with Chenyu Cheng (context - Code Coverage API Plugin GSoC project). We discovered that the extension points are defined in libdtkit which is a standalone library within Jenkins organization. So this plugin uses same approaches as EnvInject Lib and XTrigger Lib :(

Ideally this library needs to be also adopted and reworked to API plugin so that it becomes maintainable. DTKit Plugin and TUSAR Notifier plugin are the only usages outside XUnit plugin, but the latter one is depublished. DTKit could be made such API plugin, but I do not exactly understand what it does in Jenkins now.

BR, Oleg

Nikolas Falco

May 2, 2018, 9:29:23 AM5/2/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Oleg,
   I think the DTKit plugin library was done externally to make extension easier.

For example a plugin could extends org.jenkinsci.lib.dtkit.type.TestType other few interfaces to be added as tool type on xUnit plugin regardless of the version of xunit and its dependencies.
So you suggest to move code from DTKit into xUnit plugin in some org.jenkins.xunit.lib package?

I could adopt DTKit too in case some changes needed to make xUnit works.

Out of this discussion: in the organisation pom is defined jacoco, it is possible enable sites like coveralls to see code coverage of a plugin to manage better PRs? I permitted for the Jenkisci organisation do this?

<profile>
    <id>enable-jacoco</id>
    <build>
        <pluginManagement>
            <plugins>
                <plugin>
                    <groupId>org.eluder.coveralls</groupId>
                    <artifactId>coveralls-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                    <version>4.3.0</version>
                    <configuration>
                        <repoToken>${env.COVERALLS_REPO_TOKEN}</repoToken>
                    </configuration>
                </plugin>
            </plugins>
        </pluginManagement>
        <plugins>
            <plugin>
                <groupId>org.jacoco</groupId>
                <artifactId>jacoco-maven-plugin</artifactId>
                <version>0.7.9</version>
                <executions>
                    <execution>
                        <goals>
                            <goal>prepare-agent</goal>
                        </goals>
                    </execution>
                    <execution>
                        <id>report</id>
                        <phase>test</phase>
                        <goals>
                            <goal>report</goal>
                        </goals>
                    </execution>
                </executions>
            </plugin>
        </plugins>
    </build>
</profile>

Jesse Glick

May 2, 2018, 10:33:50 AM5/2/18
to Jenkins Dev
On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 9:29 AM, 'Nikolas Falco' via Jenkins Developers
<jenkin...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> So you suggest to move code from DTKit into xUnit plugin

IIUC the recommendation was simply to take the existing library and
repackage it as a plugin (with no user-facing features). That allows
it to be independently updated. `jar`-packaging means that every
plugin depending on bundles its own copy of the library, and
library-defined types cannot be shared. Switching to an API plugin
also avoids the need for special tricks to accommodate JEP-200 in
Jenkins 2.102+.

https://jenkins.io/doc/developer/plugin-development/dependencies-and-class-loading/

Nikolas Falco

May 2, 2018, 12:08:50 PM5/2/18
to Jenkins Developers
ok, there is already a plugin that include the libdtkit https://github.com/jenkinsci/dtkit-plugin.

Maybe I could move xUnit dependencies from libdtkit to dtkit-plugin

Oleg Nenashev

May 2, 2018, 12:13:14 PM5/2/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
Yes, that's what I meant in "DTKit could be made such API plugin, but I do not exactly understand what it does in Jenkins now."

Nikolas Falco

May 2, 2018, 12:24:45 PM5/2/18
to Jenkins Developers
I was confused because I always lookup at the wrong repository (dtkit-plugin).

Should be better change description of that plugin. Actually it appears like DTKit 2.1.3. In my opinion the plugin label should be something "DTKit API Plugin" and a little description.

Il giorno mercoledì 2 maggio 2018 16:33:50 UTC+2, Jesse Glick ha scritto:
On Wed, May 2, 2018 at 9:29 AM, 'Nikolas Falco' via Jenkins Developers
<jenkin...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
> So you suggest to move code from DTKit into xUnit plugin

IIUC the recommendation was simply to take the existing library and
repackage it as a plugin (with no user-facing features). That allows
it to be independently updated. `jar`-packaging means that every
plugin depending on bundles its own copy of the library, and
library-defined types cannot be shared. Switching to an API plugin
also avoids the need for special tricks to accommodate JEP-200 in
Jenkins 2.102+.

https://jenkins.io/doc/developer/plugin-development/dependencies-and-class-loading/

Nikolas Falco

May 4, 2018, 1:31:49 PM5/4/18
to Jenkins Developers
Please also make me the default recipient on JIRA for xUnit component otherwise I'm not advised on new ticket

Oleg Nenashev

May 4, 2018, 1:49:23 PM5/4/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
Hi Nikolas,