[GSoC 2019] - Promoted Builds plugin equivalent for Jenkins Pipeline (JENKINS-36089)

Oleg Nenashev

Jan 7, 2019, 8:48:47 PM1/7/19
to JenkinsCI Developers, jenkins-pipelin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I would like to share one of the project ideas we have proposed for GSoC 2019: Artifact Promotion plugin for Jenkins Pipeline. https://jenkins.io/projects/gsoc/2019/project-ideas/artifact-promotion-plugin-for-jenkins-pipeline/ .

This project idea tries to address JENKINS-36089: Pipeline support for Promoted Builds Plugin which is one of the most voted issues in Jenkins JIRA (119 votes). TL;DR: There is no good out-of-the-box solution for managing artifact promotions in a manual way for Pipeline jobs (CD Pipelines use input() steps & Co, but not everybody uses CD in 2019). The issue was around for a long time, and I believe it is still relevant for a subset of Jenkins users. And all other users would probably appreciate better REST APIs for promotion management and traceability in Jenkins. This is what this project is about.

Few years ago we had a discussion about the possible implementation with Jesse Glick, and we agreed that it rather has to be a new plugin instead of the Promoted Builds, because the existing plugin has some serious architecture flaws (e.g. JobProperty implementing ItemGroup which caused a lot of issues in the past). So the outcome of the project would be a new plugin which would still reuse Promoted Builds extension points to retain it's fancy UI and existing integrations in Pipeline. If BlueOcean extensibility JEPs are completed, some integrations with BlueOcean could be also cool.

I would appreciate any feedback about this project. Would such new plugin be useful for you? If yes, which particular features would you like to see in the plugin.

Thanks in advance,
Oleg

Jesse Glick

Jan 7, 2019, 9:10:14 PM1/7/19
to Jenkins Dev
On Mon, Jan 7, 2019 at 8:48 PM Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> a new plugin which would still reuse Promoted Builds extension points to retain it's fancy UI and existing integrations in Pipeline

Well, perhaps. I am not really convinced there is much to be gained
from even using the existing extension point. The implementor would
need to carefully evaluate the existing extensions to see if there are
actually any which would be _useful_ for Pipelines, beyond the obvious
manual promotion.