Backporting for LTS 2.414.3 has started

Kris Stern

Oct 2, 2023, 1:49:20 AM10/2/23
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

Backporting for 2.414.3 has started, and the RC is scheduled for Wednesday, October 4th, 2023.

Candidates: https://issues.jenkins.io/issues/?filter=12146

Best,

Kris

Jesse Glick

Oct 2, 2023, 7:50:59 AM10/2/23
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Kris Stern

Oct 2, 2023, 8:36:32 AM10/2/23
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Yes, my apologies, should be something like https://issues.jenkins.io/issues/?jql=labels%20%3D%202.414.3-fixed instead, otherwise the first issue looks like they don't belong.

Best,
Kris

Oct 13, 2023, 11:42:27 AM10/13/23
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I would like to propose backporting a documentation change [0], ensuring the installation pages match the instructions on jenkins.io.

Additionally, a remoting PR has been labeled as “backporting-candidate”.

Mark Waite

Oct 16, 2023, 9:05:03 PM10/16/23
to Jenkins Developers
On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 9:42:27 AM UTC-6 Alexander Brandes wrote:
I would like to propose backporting a documentation change [0], ensuring the installation pages match the instructions on jenkins.io.

I am "+1" for the documentation backport.

Additionally, a remoting PR has been labeled as “backporting-candidate”.

I think that the remoting backport should wait 2.426.1 and be backported there.  It hasn't reached a weekly release yet.

Mark Waite

Mark Waite

Oct 17, 2023, 3:59:03 PM10/17/23
to Jenkins Developers
On Monday, October 16, 2023 at 7:05:03 PM UTC-6 Mark Waite wrote:
On Friday, October 13, 2023 at 9:42:27 AM UTC-6 Alexander Brandes wrote:
I would like to propose backporting a documentation change [0], ensuring the installation pages match the instructions on jenkins.io.

I am "+1" for the documentation backport.

Kevin and I investigated and as far as we can tell, a backport is not needed because the master branch is used for packaging.  There are no recent stable-xxx branches in the packaging repository.

When the build runs tomorrow, the LTS documentation for Debian on https://pkg.jenkins.io/debian-stable/ will be updated to match the weekly documentation.

Mark Waite

Alexander Brandes

Oct 18, 2023, 4:09:37 AM10/18/23
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Packaging happens from the versioned stable-2.414 branch.

There's a stable- branch for every recent LTS release.

Mark Waite

Oct 18, 2023, 7:01:01 AM10/18/23
to Jenkins Developers
On Wednesday, October 18, 2023 at 2:09:37 AM UTC-6 Alexander Brandes wrote:
Packaging happens from the versioned stable-2.414 branch.

There's a stable- branch for every recent LTS release.

You're right.  I'm not sure how I made the mistake of not seeing that branch, but I clearly did not see it in the session where Kevin and I were investigating.

Unfortunately, I'm not available to create the cherry pick commit because I need to leave for the airport.

I'm +1 for the cherry-pick, but also have no problem if the curl based instructions remain so that we don't disrupt today's release.

Mark Waite

Damien Duportal

Oct 18, 2023, 9:11:14 AM10/18/23
to Jenkins Developers
PR for cherry pick created, please check carefully folks: https://github.com/jenkinsci/packaging/pull/439

Jesse Glick

Oct 18, 2023, 10:56:59 AM10/18/23
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On Fri, Oct 13, 2023 at 11:42 AM 'Alexander Brandes' via Jenkins Developers <jenkin...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
a remoting PR has been labeled as “backporting-candidate”

Reminder (since I am not sure if this is mentioned in the backporting guide): if and when this is selected for backporting, the technique is to create a branch in `remoting` from the release included in the core LTS branch, using for example https://gist.github.com/jglick/86a30894446ed38f918050c1180483e2, and you can then trigger the GitHub Actions workflow on the branch to produce a release you can propose to include in core POM. Analogous example from Stapler:

Basil Crow

Oct 18, 2023, 12:39:28 PM10/18/23
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
That is the ideal technique, but it might be a lot of effort for the
release team for minimal gain. In practice I think it would suffice to
simply upgrade Remoting to the regular 3160.vd76b_9ddd10cc release on
the LTS line. Yes this is pulling in a few unrelated changes, but as
long as they are shipping in weeklies I don't see a big risk here. If
the release team wants to go through the extra effort, I would not
stop them, either.