Fwd: Plugin Adoption: Google OAuth Plugin

Craig Barber

Jan 24, 2019, 4:34:09 AM1/24/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

---------- Forwarded message ---------
From: Craig Barber <craig...@google.com>
Date: Wed, Jan 23, 2019 at 2:41 PM
Subject: Plugin Adoption: Google OAuth Plugin
To: <jenkin...@googlegroups.com>, Andrey Stroilov <astr...@google.com>, Don McCasland <donmcc...@google.com>, Vic Iglesias <vigl...@google.com>, Evan Brown <evan...@google.com>

The GCP Cloud Graphite: Platforms team would like to adopt the Google OAuth Plugin so that we can take over support and provide future engineering investment into the project.

Github username: https://github.com/craigatgoogle

--
Craig Barber
Software Engineer

--
Craig Barber
Software Engineer

Baptiste Mathus

Jan 24, 2019, 5:07:23 AM1/24/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hello,
The usual timeout for this kind of request is 15 days.
Please have the current maintainer comment somewhere so we can see she or he is OK with this request.

AFAICT, it would be from https://github.com/astroilov. Ideally, just have her or him comment in GitHub somewhere confirming, so we can proceed here.

Thank you

Craig Barber

Jan 24, 2019, 12:45:54 PM1/24/19
to Jenkins Developers
Forwarded to astroilov@
Thanks!

Craig Barber

Jan 24, 2019, 1:32:21 PM1/24/19
to Jenkins Developers
Created an issue against the component to track the transfer: https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-55766

Andrey Stroilov

Jan 24, 2019, 1:37:02 PM1/24/19
to Craig Barber, Jenkins Developers, Don McCasland, Vic Iglesias, Evan Brown
I have now commented indicating approval of this request: https://github.com/jenkinsci/google-oauth-plugin/issues/27https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/JENKINS-55766. Thank you!

Craig Barber

Jan 25, 2019, 1:42:25 PM1/25/19
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks Andrey!

Baptiste, does the ownership transfer also handle transferring permissions for Artifactory?

Daniel Beck

Jan 25, 2019, 3:01:41 PM1/25/19
to Jenkins Developers

> On 25. Jan 2019, at 19:42, 'Craig Barber' via Jenkins Developers <jenkin...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> does the ownership transfer also handle transferring permissions for Artifactory?

Yes, in fact, we consider (co-)ownership and permission to release/upload to be the same thing.

Please file a PR to https://github.com/jenkins-infra/repository-permissions-updater to add yourself and your colleagues, referencing this thread and the issue with the approval comment, and you'll get Artifactory access. Add a note if you still need GitHub commit access, too.

Craig Barber

Jan 25, 2019, 6:56:08 PM1/25/19
to Jenkins Developers
PR Submitted: https://github.com/jenkins-infra/repository-permissions-updater/pull/1011

There seems to be something odd going on with the Artifactory ldap situation, please advise.

Baptiste Mathus

Jan 29, 2019, 4:33:34 PM1/29/19
to Jenkins Developers
All done, FTR.

Craig Barber

Jan 30, 2019, 1:16:38 PM1/30/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Baptiste,

I seem to be missing some permissions on the repo. On the other plugin my team maintains: https://github.com/jenkinsci/google-kubernetes-engine-plugin we have the ability to merge PRs, edit the repo, and add contributors. When you have a moment could you please assign those same permissions to my github user for the google-oauth-plugin repo. Thanks!

Baptiste Mathus

Jan 31, 2019, 3:09:32 PM1/31/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hello,

I'm unclear what you now have: do you have merge permissions? I granted them to you yesterday. https://github.com/jenkins-infra/repository-permissions-updater/pull/1011#issuecomment-458563660

We actually don't usually assign admin permissions on repos to maintainers. And for one, I don't have personally the necessary karma to do this anyway.
If you need to add members with merge permissions, I'd suggest just listing them here and we can add them through the usual process in the go.

Thanks!

Craig Barber

Jan 31, 2019, 3:30:04 PM1/31/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Baptiste,

I currently have need to create a new release, which the current permission set does not allow me to do. If I could get the same permission set as I have on this repo: https://github.com/jenkinsci/google-kubernetes-engine-plugin I'll be all set.

Daniel Beck

Feb 1, 2019, 12:44:29 PM2/1/19
to Jenkins Developers

> On 31. Jan 2019, at 21:09, Baptiste Mathus <m...@batmat.net> wrote:
>
> We actually don't usually assign admin permissions on repos to maintainers. And for one, I don't have personally the necessary karma to do this anyway.
> If you need to add members with merge permissions, I'd suggest just listing them here and we can add them through the usual process in the go.

I changed the team to 'admin' permissions (although I am _really_ curious why those should be needed to release things -- weird release automation that needs deploy keys?)

FWIW a long time ago we limited granted permissions because some of the admin operations were destructive (some of the 'danger zone' stuff). Since GitHub now allows us to restrict availability of those even to repo admins, we now grant admin by default -- it's just that many teams are still set to 'write' from years ago.

Craig Barber

Feb 1, 2019, 5:47:29 PM2/1/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Daniel, appreciate the help. Actually I conflated the releasing issue as it turns out "write" allows that, sorry about that. The need for admin is so that I can add my team mates as contributors and also modify the repo settings if necessary.

When you have a moment could you please flip the same switch for the google-storage-plugin repo as well. Thanks.

Daniel Beck

Feb 2, 2019, 1:08:33 PM2/2/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 1. Feb 2019, at 23:47, 'Craig Barber' via Jenkins Developers <jenkin...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
>
> When you have a moment could you please flip the same switch for the google-storage-plugin repo as well. Thanks

Done.

In general I recommend filing INFRA issues in Jira. In our experience it's too easy for emails on this list to get lost. Jira at least keeps things around until addressed.