Jenkins participation in Outreachy

Tracy Miranda

Sep 25, 2018, 11:58:51 AM9/25/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Not sure if folks have come across the Outreachy programme but it is one of the leading initiatives around for getting more marginalised folks involved with open source projects. It is similar overall to Google Summer of Code, except relies on external contributions i.e. not funded by Google.

The programme is currently looking for FOSS communities to participate. Communities would need to have funding for at least one intern ($6,500 USD), a coordinator, and at least one mentor with a well-defined three month project. A group of mentors is recommended of which I would be happy to be one.

So let's discuss, but here are my thoughts:

a) Funding - add to governance agenda to see if board can approve the $6500 ask.

b) Projects - look at candidates for one project from Gsoc list (projects can also be documentation I believe). See what fits a 3 month scope

c) Mentors - probably the biggest ask! Would need mentors to be available from October through to March. As mentioned I would like to be one, but can't do it alone.

If you have a specific project in mind or would like to get involved, let me know. For me I think this is a great way to open our community up to more diversity & inclusion (while improving code/documentation) so win/win.

Tracy

Matt Sicker

Sep 25, 2018, 2:47:11 PM9/25/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I'd be interested in mentoring, though that might depend on what projects we do as I'm still somewhat new around here.

Matt Sicker
Software Engineer, CloudBees

R. Tyler Croy

Sep 25, 2018, 4:55:45 PM9/25/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
(replies inline)

On Tue, 25 Sep 2018, Tracy Miranda wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> Not sure if folks have come across the Outreachy
> <https://www.outreachy.org/> programme but it is one of the leading
> initiatives around for getting more marginalised folks involved with open
> source projects. It is similar overall to Google Summer of Code, except
> relies on external contributions i.e. not funded by Google.

Thanks for taking this on Tracy, Outreachy is a good organization for us to
work with for sure!

With the bugdet request for $6500, does that cover one intern or what multiple
of interns?

Either way, I think this is a great idea and will be crossing my fingers that
we'll be able to fund some talented new contributors to the project.

signature.asc

arch

Sep 26, 2018, 4:26:28 AM9/26/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I'd love to participate.

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 26, 2018, 5:58:04 AM9/26/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Tracy,

Nice idea, I am +1 for participating. Maybe we could find some sponsorship to have more students. 6500 USD per student is a pretty big request. We could probably afford one student, but I would vote for looking for sponsors to get more.

FOSS communities need to have secured funding for at least one intern ($6,500). That covers the $5,500 internship stipend, the $500 intern travel stipend, and a $500 accounting fee. The accounting fee covers Outreachy's fiscal non-profit parent organization, Software Freedom Conservancy, handle sponsor invoicing, intern payments, W-9 collection, visa request letters, employment verification letters, student internship credit letters, and tax questions.

BR, Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 26, 2018, 5:59:28 AM9/26/18
to JenkinsCI Developers, jenkinsci-gsoc-all-public
// Added GSoC SIG to CC, maybe we could find some interested mentors there

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/f8db7d56-1c76-467c-aaca-573aceab4f58%40googlegroups.com.

Pham Vu Tuan

Sep 26, 2018, 8:22:06 PM9/26/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi, I am interested to join as a mentor.

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 27, 2018, 5:57:03 AM9/27/18
to Jenkins Developers
The main problem is here: "Oct. 2, 2018 Last date for FOSS communities to sign up to participate". So there are 5 days left. IIUC we need to have some budget approved before this date, and there will be no Governance meeting (there was one yesterday). Not sure which level of approval is required for such request tho.

Anyway, you have my +1 vote for a one student budget (6500 USD).

BR, Oleg

Andrew Bayer

Sep 27, 2018, 4:37:24 PM9/27/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Strong +1. If we have the cash available to approve the budget now, we should definitely move forward. And if we don't, well, we should fundraise specifically for that anyway.

A.

Mark Waite

R. Tyler Croy

Sep 27, 2018, 10:18:28 PM9/27/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
(replies inline)

On Thu, 27 Sep 2018, Andrew Bayer wrote:

> Strong +1. If we have the cash available to approve the budget now, we
> should definitely move forward. And if we don't, well, we should fundraise
> specifically for that anyway.

We definitely have ample budget for an Outreachy intern.

signature.asc

Baptiste Mathus

Sep 28, 2018, 1:09:43 AM9/28/18
to Jenkins Developers
+1 definitely worth doing.

Tracy Miranda

Sep 28, 2018, 2:44:59 PM9/28/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks for the awesome response all!

I seem to have miscalculated my week's as I thought the governance meeting was next week... never mind, I'll put in on following week agenda.

In the meantime I'll collate info from this thread to a shared doc and see how we can move this forward.

Tracy

Daniel Beck

Sep 28, 2018, 6:30:10 PM9/28/18
to Jenkins Developers

> On 28. Sep 2018, at 20:44, Tracy Miranda <tmir...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> never mind, I'll put in on following week agenda.

This will be well past the deadline that Oleg has identified, so it's unclear to me what the purpose of that would be.

Independent of this particular program, could we _please_ do future requests for funding so that there's sufficient time to discuss them? This is the second request in as many months that's coming just days before its deadline, and this really should not become a pattern.

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 2, 2018, 6:49:37 AM10/2/18
to Jenkins Developers
Apart from the process/timing concern, I believe that there is a consensus here about approving funding itself.
There is also a positive vote from Tyler, so I believe the Jenkins board is onboard.

IMO Tracy can just proceed with this request.

BR, Oleg

Tracy Miranda

Oct 2, 2018, 12:06:53 PM10/2/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks.

OK, as today is the deadline (deadline-driven-development!) I've submitted the application for Jenkins community to join Outreachy.
This is with funding for one intern tentative to approval on the 10th of October 2018 (i.e.next governance meeting).

Once this application gets approved the next thing is to get the project proposals and mentors signed up. Also might be useful to have somewhere to discuss things, maybe reusing the gsoc gitter channel (https://gitter.im/jenkinsci/gsoc-sig) where mentors hangout... or does this deserve it's own one...

Anyway, will follow up soon on this to let those who expressed interest know the next steps.

Regards,
tracy

Tracy Miranda

Oct 5, 2018, 1:29:30 PM10/5/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Good news, Jenkins has been accepted as a participating community in Outreachy! Woop!

So here are next steps:

1. Mentors, please sign up and register as a mentor on https://www.outreachy.org/

2. I created a dedicated chat space so join this gitter chat https://gitter.im/jenkinsci/outreachy

3. We need to get about 2-3 projects (3months in scope) listed by next week. I'll help co-ordinate these - they can be code, docs, ui, websites, so lots of scope

4. If you can, please show up to Wed Governance meeting in irc to help us secure the funding and show your support

5. I'll schedule a mentor briefing, likely to be Thursday 11th at 6pm CET/5pm BST/9am PT (but again we can finalize time in gitter chat)

Thanks again for all your support!

Tracy

Tracy Miranda

Oct 5, 2018, 4:22:47 PM10/5/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Slight update based on Matt's experience, please skip step 1 for now (you have to register via submit project proposal so we can get to that when we have the projects to propose).

Thanks,
Tracy

Tracy Miranda

Oct 11, 2018, 11:51:23 AM10/11/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Good news, at the governance meeting yesterday the outreachy funding
was approved.

Project proposals are being collected here:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EJuqP3rDO831kOmsSGhNwyjKEvbvjqD6hsmNIczHVE8/edit

I have scheduled a mentor briefing for Monday, inviting all on this
thread. If that time doesn't work for you let me know & we can figure
something out.

Regards,
Tracy