Request to become maintainer on docker-plugin

nicolas de loof

Sep 5, 2017, 1:20:46 PM9/5/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Nigel Magnay
Hi folks,

docker-plugins as 20 pull requests pending for review and no new commits since Nov 16th.
I volunteer to adopt this plugin. Especially I'd like to have docker-plugin support docker swarm mode, so it can distribute builds on a cluster out of the box.

Github-ID: ndeloof

Jenkins-ID: ndeloof

Cheers,

Nicolas

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 5, 2017, 8:28:18 PM9/5/17
to Jenkins Developers, nigel....@gmail.com
Hi,

From the quality PoV, I would really suggest deprecating Docker plugin and recommending Yet Another Docker plugin instead. That plugin progressed much more in terms of stability and Cloud API "implementation correctness" while it's still compatible with Docker Plugin use-cases. Working on Docker Plugin is a valiant goal, but I am afraid it will require re-implementing fixes already available in YAD.

Unfortunately, we cannot recommend YAD instead of Docker plugin, because the plugin is outside the Jenkins organization governance. I have contacted the maintainer multiple times, he declines to move the plugin.

+1 from me regarding the Docker plugin ownership handover though

BR, Oleg

Nigel Magnay

Sep 6, 2017, 3:03:25 AM9/6/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, nicolas de loof
Please - go for it. I don't have the bandwidth these days to support it in anything like a timely manner.

Baptiste Mathus

Sep 6, 2017, 4:10:34 AM9/6/17
to Jenkins Developers, nicolas de loof
As Nigel gave his +1, I went ahead and made you committer Nicolas. Remember to file the necessary PR on https://github.com/jenkins-infra/repository-permissions-updater if/when you want to release.

I tend to agree with Oleg, probably some cleanup already occurred in YAD, but also agreed it's a very borderline plugin in terms of governance: hosted outside the org, but still publishing releases...

Richard Bywater

nicolas de loof

Jesse Glick

Sep 6, 2017, 10:16:00 AM9/6/17
to Jenkins Dev
On Tue, Sep 5, 2017 at 8:28 PM, Oleg Nenashev <o.v.ne...@gmail.com> wrote:
> […] while it's still compatible with Docker Plugin use-cases

One of my reservations about both the `docker-plugin` and the
`yet-another-docker-plugin` (BTW both incorrectly include `-plugin` in
the `artifactId`) is that they try to solve too many things, and are
cluttered with various builders you do not really need. A plugin
should either focus on letting a job request an image for specific
build steps, as `docker-workflow` and
`docker-custom-build-environment` do; or provide a solid `Cloud`
implementation for the case that the whole agent JVM runs inside a
globally configured container (IMO the main reason to use
`docker-plugin`); or something in between, as `docker-slaves`
creatively attempts.

nicolas de loof

Sep 6, 2017, 10:47:46 AM9/6/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I totally agree, and I'm not sure how to fix this. I wonder docker-plugin could be refactored so the cloud agents part is extracted in some "docker-cloud" plugin, and those builders into another one (unfortunately we already have docker-build-step-plugin. Another one would add to the confusion). Docker plugin would then just act as some agregator plugin, maybe only offer some global configuration for Registry / DockerHost