Global Resource Pools

Ryan Cocks

Sep 15, 2016, 6:48:42 AM9/15/16
to Jenkins Developers
Folks,

I have a use case where I have a pool of global ‘resources’ which cannot be used concurrently.

The only implementation of allocating from pools in Jenkins I’ve seen so far is the Port Allocator plugin which can be used to hand out from a pool of integers.

Originally this plugin was conceived to hand out ports on the local node. Developers have tried to extend the Port Allocator plugin with the concept of global pools. But these pull requests keep getting bounced, i.e. 7 and 5 which both implement this.

Can we get clearance to have global pools in the Port Allocator plugin?

If not: this use case is evidently coming up for a number of people given we already have two pull requests for it. So, what would be acceptable?

Warm regards,
Ryan

Jesse Glick

Sep 19, 2016, 1:43:42 PM9/19/16
to Jenkins Dev
On Thu, Sep 15, 2016 at 3:48 AM, Ryan Cocks <ry...@ryancocks.net> wrote:
> I have a use case where I have a pool of global ‘resources’ which cannot be
> used concurrently.
>
> The only implementation of allocating from pools in Jenkins I’ve seen so far
> is the Port Allocator plugin

Lockable Resources?

Baptiste Mathus

Sep 19, 2016, 3:26:48 PM9/19/16
to Jenkins Developers
This plugin is actually orphaned, Ryan, so that explains the fact nothing really moves.