[Experiment] Reviewers Team

Baptiste Mathus

Jan 6, 2016, 3:42:26 PM1/6/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

If you've already tried to get feedback on a PR you were working on, or are interested in helping & learning things by reviewing other's code, read on.

Daniel just helped set up a Jenkinsci GitHub organization new sub-team called 'code-reviewers' to define a group of people willing to try and review code at the request of others.
Here it is. This is something we wanted to try and still very early in the process, don't hesitate to tell us what you think of it here or on IRC.

Hope you find it useful!

Cheers

-- Baptiste

Michael Neale

Jan 6, 2016, 11:08:04 PM1/6/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@batmat.net
I think its a good idea. It's been around for a while but team mentions are not often used: https://github.com/blog/1121-introducing-team-mentions (lately I have heard a few people mention it, but it isn't a new thing as far as I can tell from github).

Cool stuff! Certainly a bit better than @-mentioning someone by name that you would normally ask for a review (as they may be busy).

Robert Sandell

Jan 7, 2016, 6:39:47 AM1/7/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Cool idea!
I'm just sad that gmail doesn't provide me with means of filtering on mail headers so these requests will unfortunately be lost in the rest of the GitHub updates that I get. Unless someone with more gmail filter foo has any tips for me.

/B

Robert Sandell
Software Engineer
CloudBees Inc.

Mark Waite

Jan 7, 2016, 8:03:27 AM1/7/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I've updated https://github.com/jenkinsci/git-client-plugin/pull/196 to request review of a fix for a regression introduced in the most recent release of the git client plugin.  I'm looking forward to feedback.

Mark Waite

Baptiste Mathus

Jan 7, 2016, 8:38:03 AM1/7/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Robert,

Glad you like it. Depends on what you want to filter on, if you mean on the fact that @jenkinsci/code-reviewers alias was target, that info does indeed not seem to be in the email.

But seems like you can use some wildcards and so on.

Like : list:(jenkins*.github.com)  to filter for every notifications from jenkins projects (jenkinsci, jenkins-infra...).

My 2 cents

Daniel Beck

Jan 7, 2016, 10:29:00 AM1/7/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

On 07.01.2016, at 12:39, Robert Sandell <rsan...@cloudbees.com> wrote:

> Unless someone with more gmail filter foo has any tips for me.

All such notifications will contain the string @jenkinsci/code-reviewers in the body that you can filter for (or exclude from the existing filter that hides GitHub notifications).

Baptiste Mathus

Aug 9, 2016, 2:22:56 PM8/9/16
to Jenkins Developers

Small bump: reminder this list

https://github.com/orgs/jenkinsci/teams/code-reviewers

is open to *anyone* willing to review Jenkins code in general (core or plugins). Either you want to grow your skills, or help in general, or both, this is one good place.

Note that being part of that team does *not* require you to review anything where you get asked to.

James Dumay

Aug 10, 2016, 2:42:26 AM8/10/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@batmat.net
All of the blueocean-plugin PRs mention the reviewers team... so If you are looking to get involved in Blue Ocean reviewing is a great place to start!

Jacob Larfors

Jan 5, 2017, 10:44:57 AM1/5/17
to Jenkins Developers, m...@batmat.net
Hello,

just checking that the @jenkinsci/code-reviewers group is still around? Doesnt seem to exist in GitHub anymore... at least I get a 404 error not found

I was hoping to get some feedback on a recent pull request here: https://github.com/jenkinsci/klocwork-plugin/pull/20

Thanks,
Jacob

Daniel Beck

Jan 5, 2017, 10:54:25 AM1/5/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 05.01.2017, at 16:44, Jacob Larfors <ja...@larfors.com> wrote:
>
> just checking that the @jenkinsci/code-reviewers group is still around

It's still around and configured to be visible.

However, you're not a member of the jenkinsci GitHub organization as you haven't accepted the invitation that was sent to you, and it seems teams and mentions are limited to org members.

Daniel Beck

Jan 5, 2017, 11:01:36 AM1/5/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 10.08.2016, at 08:42, James Dumay <jdu...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> All of the blueocean-plugin PRs mention the reviewers team... so If you are looking to get involved in Blue Ocean reviewing is a great place to start!

FTR I asked that this practice be stopped a few weeks ago, as it increased the notification traffic a lot, and the BO developers generally seem to have no problem finding reviewers for their changes.

Now @jenkinsci/code-reviewers should be back to be fairly low traffic and limited to PRs where someone really thinks reviews are needed:

https://github.com/pulls?utf8=%E2%9C%93&q=is%3Aopen+is%3Apr+team%3Ajenkinsci%2Fcode-reviewers

Oliver Gondža

Jan 5, 2017, 2:09:56 PM1/5/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On 2017-01-05 17:01, Daniel Beck wrote:

>> On 10.08.2016, at 08:42, James Dumay <jdu...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>>
>> All of the blueocean-plugin PRs mention the reviewers team... so If you are looking to get involved in Blue Ocean reviewing is a great place to start!
>
> FTR I asked that this practice be stopped a few weeks ago, as it increased the notification traffic a lot, and the BO developers generally seem to have no problem finding reviewers for their changes.

Amen.
--
oliver

Jacob Larfors

Jan 9, 2017, 3:14:22 PM1/9/17
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
Nice, and thanks for the information.
I was recommended to add jenkinsci code-reviewers but perhaps this is not necessary for the low scale plugins I am working on as things have been working fine up until now.

PS - I accepted the invitation now to join jenkinsci (email got lost)