Studying the evolution of Jenkins project

Igor Steinmacher

Jun 7, 2016, 4:03:23 PM6/7/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Hi there,

I'm a researcher studying software evolution. As part of my current research, I'm studying the implications of open-sourcing a proprietary software, for instance, if the project succeed in attracting newcomers. Jenkins was in my list.

To further analyze the impacts of Jenkins migration, we analyzed the git log commit history of your project in terms of number of contributions, number of newcomers, and number of contributors per month. The following figure presents a temporal perspective regarding these three measures.

Given the numbers presented in the graphic, we would like to ask Jenkins developers the following questions:

1. What motivated the project to migrate to Github? How do you evaluate the benefits of this migration?2. Does this snapshot make sense? Did you find any inconsistency on the data?
3. Do you have any internal policy to promote/attract/retain newcomers? If so, do them succeed?
4. Why did the number of contributors increased after its migration to GitHub? Was it expected?

Thanks in advance for your collaboration,

Igor Steinmacher, PhD
http://www.igor.pro.br

Michael Neale

Jun 7, 2016, 7:51:52 PM6/7/16
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Igor. Others are better qualified to answer, but for github - I think most projects that migrate there from other platforms obtain more contribution due to the basic popularity of github, and visibility.

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Jun 7, 2016, 8:01:05 PM6/7/16
to Jenkins Developers
Also, a lot has happened to Jenkins project around that time, such as the renaming, CloudBees, SPI just to name a few. It's going to be hard to untangle what factor contributed how much.