[GSoC2016] is it too late to add a project?

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Mar 4, 2016, 6:54:34 PM3/4/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I'd like to suggest a datamining project for usage statistics or just genrally improving better statistics visualizations. I think it's a fairly independent project that has a lot of rooms for innovations.

Is it too late to add something like this to the list?

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Kanstantsin Shautsou

Mar 5, 2016, 3:50:59 AM3/5/16
to Jenkins Developers
How that differs from CloudBees Jenkins Operation Center (or how called the product that do a lot of graphs)?

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 5, 2016, 9:03:00 AM3/5/16
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Kohsuke,

Yes, the project proposal window is open.
So feel free to go forward and to add the project idea. Would be great to have more information about the proposal, but seems it's related to project infrastructure (Jenkins usage statistics, etc.).

How that differs from CloudBees Jenkins Operation Center (or how called the product that do a lot of graphs)?

It's called CloudBees Jenkins Analytics. It's devoted to a better monitoring/BA of multi-tenant Jenkins instances.
Right now I don't see overlaps between CJA and the proposal at all.

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Mar 7, 2016, 12:54:02 PM3/7/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I'm talking about anonymous usage statistics. Things like how many install what versions, what plugins are common together, cohort analysis of a typical growth path of a Jenkins instance, that sort of things.

CloudBees Jenkins Operation Center is more about statistics that happen inside Jenkins, such as JVM health, build durations, which build agents are busier, value stream analysis, that sort of things.

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Mar 7, 2016, 12:54:55 PM3/7/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kohsuke,

Yes, the project proposal window is open.
So feel free to go forward and to add the project idea. Would be great to have more information about the proposal, but seems it's related to project infrastructure (Jenkins usage statistics, etc.).

Great, I'll do that. I also need to volunteer myself or find some other people who are willing to mentor the project, right?

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 7, 2016, 1:16:37 PM3/7/16
to JenkinsCI Developers
Great, I'll do that. I also need to volunteer myself or find some other people who are willing to mentor the project, right?

Right. In general, we want to have 2+ mentors for each student project. At the current state at least 1 potential mentor is required to drive the discussions within the community.