Proposal: revisiting JUC in 2016

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Oct 19, 2015, 10:51:39 PM10/19/15
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com, jenkin...@googlegroups.com, eve...@lists.jenkins-ci.org
Putting my CloudBees hat on, I'd like to discuss the following proposed changes to the events in 2016, where we are moving away from JUC into a new model.

https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Proposal+-+Revisiting+JUC+in+2016

I put this up for the project meeting agenda in 1.5 week, but I hope to get discussions going well before that.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

James Nord

Oct 20, 2015, 6:03:54 AM10/20/15
to Jenkins Developers, jenkins...@googlegroups.com, eve...@lists.jenkins-ci.org
Taking off my cloudbees hat and putting on my old hat being based in Europe.

Getting approval to attend conferences abroad (outside Europe) for me was not always easy - as it involves large travel and time lost due to this.  As such it was easier to go to a european conference.   I also feel that yes you get more people in USA-CA but that this could just a critical mass and a direct result of its much easier to go to something local than it is to travel 9 hours around the globe.  Do you have stats of where people came from in the last even - where they predominantly from the bay area?
In the London event I met people that where very basic users of Jenkins (just starting) and it was easy for them to go to a local conference.  Would these same users make the same investment to go somewhere accross the globe - I personally don't think so - which would be a big shame.

The JAMs fill a gap - but I'm not sure that this gap is filled yet - or that it will be filled by next year  - certainly there is nothing in the UK that I know of - and even then we would need something based in the north west as well as somewhere around London.

Manuel Jesús Recena Soto

Oct 20, 2015, 7:22:28 AM10/20/15
to Jenkins Developers, jenkins...@googlegroups.com, eve...@lists.jenkins-ci.org
Hello James,

(reply in line)

> Taking off my cloudbees hat and putting on my old hat being based in Europe.
>
> Getting approval to attend conferences abroad (outside Europe) for me was
> not always easy - as it involves large travel and time lost due to this. As
> such it was easier to go to a european conference. I also feel that yes
> you get more people in USA-CA but that this could just a critical mass and a
> direct result of its much easier to go to something local than it is to
> travel 9 hours around the globe. Do you have stats of where people came
> from in the last even - where they predominantly from the bay area?
> In the London event I met people that where very basic users of Jenkins
> (just starting) and it was easy for them to go to a local conference. Would
> these same users make the same investment to go somewhere accross the globe
> - I personally don't think so - which would be a big shame.
>
> The JAMs fill a gap - but I'm not sure that this gap is filled yet - or that
> it will be filled by next year - certainly there is nothing in the UK that
> I know of - and even then we would need something based in the north west as
> well as somewhere around London.

I had the opportunity to attend JUG London and was a great experience.
It would be a pity don't have this event in Europe.

As you pointed, JAM events can fill this gap.

In Spain, there are two JAM starting (Seville and Barcelona). Maybe
someday, we can organize a bigger event. Another open source
communities do something similar.

Regards,

> On Tuesday, October 20, 2015 at 4:51:39 AM UTC+2, Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:
>>
>> Putting my CloudBees hat on, I'd like to discuss the following proposed
>> changes to the events in 2016, where we are moving away from JUC into a new
>> model.
>>

>> https://wiki.jenkins-ci.org/display/JENKINS/Proposal+-+Revisiting+JUC+in+2016
>>
>> I put this up for the project meeting agenda in 1.5 week, but I hope to
>> get discussions going well before that.
>>
>> --
>> Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Manuel Recena Soto
* manuelrecena.com [/blog]
* linkedin.com/in/recena

Robert Sandell

Oct 20, 2015, 7:34:34 AM10/20/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I had a somewhat different problem, that it was hard to motivate the travel expense across the pond for a mere one day conference.
A three day conference would be easier to motivate in my experience; previously working for a larger corporation with large investment in Jenkins at least.
The first Jenkins user conference in 2011 was easy to motivate since it was adjacent to Java One. The others were harder.

Having one bigger one could perhaps also give some breathing room to other more local/smaller conferences on the subject :)

/B

Robert Sandell
Software Engineer
CloudBees Inc.

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 20, 2015, 7:58:12 AM10/20/15
to Jenkins Developers
Well... I'm wearing my OSS contributor hat now.

I think that Kohsuke has mis-stated the proposal a bit. "No JUC in Europe" means that there is "No JUC sponsored by CloudBees in Europe". That's all. CloudBees organizes the events in order to push it's business, so it's eligible to optimize it's expenses.

It does not mean that JUC/Europe cannot happen at all. If somebody sponsors the event (organization, venue, free stickers, etc., etc.), it may happen. So if there is a company/individual wanting to organize it, it may be a good time to make a proposal.

Israel is not so far from Europe, there's also Jenkins User Event Scandinavia, which may become bigger in 2016th. JAMs may also help, but I doubt they can achieve a good coverage. Probably the community could try to organize Jenkins workshops at existing OSS conferences. It may be much more effective, because at such conferences there many users familiar with Jenkins => we could get much talks from the field.

Stephen Connolly

Oct 20, 2015, 8:26:45 AM10/20/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, jenkins...@googlegroups.com, eve...@lists.jenkins-ci.org
Wearing my family hat. Can we please have this at a time when I do not have to worry about school runs or I will never get approval to go ;-)

"oh a three day party in CA near San Francisco? And you expect me to take AL to handle the school run?"

flashbacks of Florida!

Sent from my phone

Christopher Orr

Oct 20, 2015, 10:45:29 AM10/20/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I've had the same problem with trying to justify one-day
inter-continental conference trips, so being longer would help — though
note that this proposal would likely only be a two-day conference for
the majority of potential non-US participants (i.e. they're not likely
to care about Day 0).

Being adjacent to other events makes sense as well — much like happens
for a bunch of events before and after FOSDEM.

On 20/10/15 13:34, Robert Sandell wrote:
> I had a somewhat different problem, that it was hard to motivate the
> travel expense across the pond for a mere one day conference.
> A three day conference would be easier to motivate in my experience;
> previously working for a larger corporation with large investment in
> Jenkins at least.
> The first Jenkins user conference in 2011 was easy to motivate since it
> was adjacent to Java One. The others were harder.
>
> Having one bigger one could perhaps also give some breathing room to
> other more local/smaller conferences <http://www.code-conf.com/jues15/>
> on the subject :)
>
> /B
>
> On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 1:22 PM, Manuel Jesús Recena Soto
> <rec...@gmail.com <mailto:rec...@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
> Hello James,
>
> (reply in line)

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Oct 20, 2015, 4:16:13 PM10/20/15
to jenkins...@googlegroups.com, Jenkins Developers, eve...@lists.jenkins-ci.org
Yes, the downside of not having JUC in Europe has been considered.

One of the problems we had in the past few years with JUC in Europe has been that we have never managed to create a truly pan-Europe event. When we do JUC in Paris, only French people came. Did one in Berlin and only Germans came. This year was in London and neither German nor French came. So I believe a part of what led into the proposal (and Alyssa can correct me if I'm wrong) is that the European audience would be served better by CloudBees-Jenkins Summit part of the proposal, which allows us to run a sizable local event in multiple locations while controlling the production overhead (such as CfP, organizing agenda, etc.)

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Oct 20, 2015, 4:21:11 PM10/20/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, eve...@lists.jenkins-ci.org
Yeah, I've had the same problem with trying to justify one-day
inter-continental conference trips, so being longer would help — though
note that this proposal would likely only be a two-day conference for
the majority of potential non-US participants (i.e. they're not likely
to care about Day 0).

OK, so sounds like we should brainstorm on additional activities in Day 0 that makes the event more attractive.

Maybe hands on labs, plugin development class room?

Being adjacent to other events makes sense as well — much like happens
for a bunch of events before and after FOSDEM.

OK. Do we know events in the bay area that we can piggyback on?

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Alyssa

Oct 20, 2015, 6:12:41 PM10/20/15
to Jenkins Developers, jenkins...@googlegroups.com, eve...@lists.jenkins-ci.org
when JUC EU was planned - the goal has always been to find a central location where folks from diff parts of EU can conveniently attend. But it didn't turn out that way - mainly local people attended. And of course one big event in EU is very costly. The CB-Jenkins Summits will provide the oppty to bring Jenkins to local areas as well as keep overhead down.

Luca Milanesio

Oct 20, 2015, 6:20:20 PM10/20/15
On 20 Oct 2015, at 23:12, Alyssa <at...@cloudbees.com> wrote:

when JUC EU was planned - the goal has always been to find a central location where folks from diff parts of EU can conveniently attend. But it didn't turn out that way - mainly local people attended. And of course one big event in EU is very costly.

Agreed … the London venue should have been *very very* expensive!
One world-wide location in USA would be better, more days and less travelling around the globe.

What about doing a streaming event for people in Europe and Asia to attend remotely?
Possibly organised in cooperation with SkillsMatters in the UK and other similar organisations in the rest of Europe.

Luca.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/0a84666c-6a00-4489-8350-51c5e0cebaf8%40googlegroups.com.

Alyssa

Oct 20, 2015, 6:32:46 PM10/20/15
to Jenkins Developers, jenkins...@googlegroups.com, eve...@lists.jenkins-ci.org
@ James.  majority of the JUC West attendees were from California: San Francisco, San Jose , Sunnyvale, Santa Clara, Mt View, and Palo Alto. For JUC EU - London had the most attendees. Cambridge, Berlin, Dublin came in second but each of these cities had single digit attendees.

Alyssa Tong

Oct 20, 2015, 6:41:48 PM10/20/15
to Jenkins Dev, jenkinsci-users, eve...@lists.jenkins-ci.org
+1 for streaming. i'll make the suggestion to the organizing team.

rdgs,
alyssa

Christopher Orr

Oct 20, 2015, 9:22:52 PM10/20/15
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On 20/10/15 22:21, Kohsuke Kawaguchi wrote:
>> Yeah, I've had the same problem with trying to justify one-day
>> inter-continental conference trips, so being longer would help — though
>> note that this proposal would likely only be a two-day conference for
>> the majority of potential non-US participants (i.e. they're not likely
>> to care about Day 0).
>
> OK, so sounds like we should brainstorm on additional activities in Day
> 0 that makes the event more attractive.

Well, it depends on how many international visitors you want or need to
attract :)

> Maybe hands on labs, plugin development class room?

Sure. I've also been to a few conferences (mainly Android dev) where
there was a full- or half-day barcamp, which I found pretty good.

>> Being adjacent to other events makes sense as well — much like happens
>> for a bunch of events before and after FOSDEM.
>
> OK. Do we know events in the bay area that we can piggyback on?

JavaOne, DockerCon, Velocity, perhaps?

> On 20/10/15 13:34, Robert Sandell wrote:
> > I had a somewhat different problem, that it was hard to motivate the
> > travel expense across the pond for a mere one day conference.
> > A three day conference would be easier to motivate in my experience;
> > previously working for a larger corporation with large investment in
> > Jenkins at least.
> > The first Jenkins user conference in 2011 was easy to motivate since it
> > was adjacent to Java One. The others were harder.
> >
> > Having one bigger one could perhaps also give some breathing room to
> > other more local/smaller conferences
> <http://www.code-conf.com/jues15/>
> > on the subject :)
> >
> > /B
> >
> > On Tue, Oct 20, 2015 at 1:22 PM, Manuel Jesús Recena Soto
> > <rec...@gmail.com <mailto:rec...@gmail.com> <mailto:rec...@gmail.com
> <mailto:rec...@gmail.com>>> wrote:
> >
> > Hello James,
> >
> > (reply in line)

> > <mailto:jn...@cloudbees.com <mailto:jn...@cloudbees.com>>>:
> <mailto:jenkinsci-dev%2Bunsu...@googlegroups.com>.
> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/56265384.20600%40orr.me.uk.

> Kohsuke Kawaguchi

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAN4CQ4y%2BQ%3Dd4YMp238LH59kDTaG_48Lr2_%3DeUSDxAEDz8CQnAg%40mail.gmail.com
> <https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAN4CQ4y%2BQ%3Dd4YMp238LH59kDTaG_48Lr2_%3DeUSDxAEDz8CQnAg%40mail.gmail.com?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Ioannis Moutsatsos

Oct 21, 2015, 7:03:02 AM10/21/15
to Jenkins Users, jenkin...@googlegroups.com, eve...@lists.jenkins-ci.org
Perhaps a global event on the East Coast (NY, Boston?) would be more accessible to both US and European audiences.
Travel to and from these hubs is usually less expensive especially flying from/to Europe.

Best regards
Ioannis

Alyssa Tong

Oct 21, 2015, 11:18:56 AM10/21/15
to Jenkins Dev, Jenkins Users, eve...@lists.jenkins-ci.org
I think meeting on the East Coast is a great idea. The challenge w/ NY is that it's super expensive to do anything :o) and Boston had a good turn out but the Bay Area seems to always have the greatest turn out, the attendance in the Bay Area has doubled to tripled in # compared to other cities..

Alyssa Tong

Oct 21, 2015, 5:48:06 PM10/21/15
to Jenkins Dev, jenkinsci-users, eve...@lists.jenkins-ci.org, Jonathan...@clearlyagile.com
Washington DC had great turnout for JUC this year. I'll put this in the suggestion box as well :o)

@ Jonathan, would you be interested in being a JAM organizer for the DC area? There were 400+ attendees at JUC DC this year so there's definitely Jenkins interest.

thnx
alyssa

Oct 26, 2015, 7:06:31 PM10/26/15
to Jonathan Jenkins, Jenkins Dev, jenkinsci-users, eve...@lists.jenkins-ci.org
wanted to clarify - when you say you'd be able to help out does that mean you'd be able to be an 'organizer'? At the moment we do not have Jenkins Area meetup in DC so technically there's no 'help out' oppty unless someone steps up to be an organizer.

On Fri, Oct 23, 2015 at 2:07 PM, Jonathan Jenkins <Jonathan...@clearlyagile.com> wrote:

Yes I could help out.