Jenkins: Shifting Gears

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Aug 31, 2018, 4:33:59 PM8/31/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I've just posted a message to the fellow Jenkins contributors on jenkins.iohttps://jenkins.io/blog/2018/08/31/shifting-gears/

Any thoughts, feedbacks, etc are appreciated.

Note that the pitch is at a pretty high level, and much of the things need to be designed, discussed, implemented, and so on. Those discussions will happen over coming days and months in here, SIGs, and JEPs, so I suggest we don't turn this into a mega thread of everything that no one can keep track of, like what happened with the email thread at the time of Jenkins 2.
--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Sep 5, 2018, 2:39:47 PM9/5/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi, I just wanted to see what people thought of this? It created quite a reaction in places like Hacker News, but I'm not seeing any reaction in here, which is where I care the most.

Have people had a chance to read/see it? I'm sure you will have opinions. Please let me know.
--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Keith Zantow

Sep 5, 2018, 3:03:24 PM9/5/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kohsuke,

To be honest, theres's a lot to digest. I encourage everyone to read the details rather than skim the headlines as the entirety of what you're talking about is meat rather than fluff.

I think there are a couple bits that are somewhat vague or misunderstood. The relationship between Jenkins, Jenkins X, Cloud Native Jenkins, Jenkins Jolt, etc. is probably one of the most confusing or misunderstood parts of the ecosystem to people who are not particularly familiar with the projects. On the surface, it could appear that some of these are contradictory or completely different things. Perhaps there could be some name mangling of the projects that make things a bit more clear where they fall in the ecosystem, along with a plan to align the parts that make sense would be welcomed.

Cheers,
-Keith

Keith Zantow
Senior Software Engineer
CloudBees, Inc.

CloudBees-Logo.png

E: kza...@cloudbees.com

Baptiste Mathus

Sep 5, 2018, 5:46:02 PM9/5/18
to Jenkins Developers
Side tracking a bit, sorry, beat with me. Not sure for others, but

>  suggest we don't turn this into a mega thread of everything that no one can keep track of

Might also have not had the expected effect.

I think mega-threads, though sometimes hard indeed to follow, also show the level of interest from people. So maybe like a brainstorming session, we shouldn't try and organize it beforehand but actually encourage answers, even those that might sound off topic. Then we see what still 'sticks to the wall'.

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Sep 5, 2018, 6:24:57 PM9/5/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 12:03 PM Keith Zantow <kza...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
Hi Kohsuke,

To be honest, theres's a lot to digest. I encourage everyone to read the details rather than skim the headlines as the entirety of what you're talking about is meat rather than fluff.

I think there are a couple bits that are somewhat vague or misunderstood. The relationship between Jenkins, Jenkins X, Cloud Native Jenkins, Jenkins Jolt, etc. is probably one of the most confusing or misunderstood parts of the ecosystem to people who are not particularly familiar with the projects. On the surface, it could appear that some of these are contradictory or completely different things. Perhaps there could be some name mangling of the projects that make things a bit more clear where they fall in the ecosystem, along with a plan to align the parts that make sense would be welcomed.

OK, I hear a similar sentiment from a few more people, I think I can provide some pictures to help.

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Sep 5, 2018, 6:26:29 PM9/5/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On Wed, Sep 5, 2018 at 2:45 PM Baptiste Mathus <m...@batmat.net> wrote:
Side tracking a bit, sorry, beat with me. Not sure for others, but

>  suggest we don't turn this into a mega thread of everything that no one can keep track of

Might also have not had the expected effect.

I think mega-threads, though sometimes hard indeed to follow, also show the level of interest from people. So maybe like a brainstorming session, we shouldn't try and organize it beforehand but actually encourage answers, even those that might sound off topic. Then we see what still 'sticks to the wall'.

I see, yeah, I did write that. Point taken.