IntelliJ licenses

Daniel Beck

Feb 22, 2016, 5:02:42 PM2/22/16
to Jenkins Developers
Hi everyone,

JetBrains recently changed the rules on open-source licenses, and KK is no longer eligible to manage them.

https://www.jetbrains.com/buy/opensource/?product=idea

Ideally, someone else who qualifies would handle the IntelliJ IDEA licenses for the software project.

Any volunteers?

Daniel

Kanstantsin Shautsou

Feb 22, 2016, 6:07:55 PM2/22/16
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
Terms are not clear: are they about of sharing license of matched people or about using for matched people?

Daniel Beck

Feb 22, 2016, 11:04:54 PM2/22/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Maybe ask JetBrains directly, it's their license terms.

Joseph P

Apr 15, 2017, 6:37:28 PM4/15/17
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
Hi

Since nothing became of the last meeting talking about the licensing issue: http://meetings.jenkins-ci.org/jenkins-meeting/2016/jenkins-meeting.2016-03-30-18.00.html
I would like to step up as the contact person for Jetbrains

I will send an email to Jetbrains asking about their OS license.
When I get a response I will add it here, and if further actions are required put it on the meeting agenda

Joseph P

Apr 28, 2017, 4:27:02 PM4/28/17
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net, k...@kohsuke.org
So I got a reply from Jetbrains and they would be willing to supply us with licenses expect for those that get paid to work on jenkins or sell a jenkins product (ie. Cloudbees).
However they mentioned Kohsuke could still be the administrator but anyone could apply as long as they project lead or core committer.

Here is the emails between Jetbrains and me

-------

Hello Joseph,

Our apologies for a delay with a response from our side. Seems like your me=
ssages were blocked by Spam filter.

We used to support Jenkins project in our OS Program before the change in t=
he rules. Our contact from your side has been Kohsuke Kawaguchi. To apply f=
or the OS licenses on behalf of an OS project one should be the project lea=
d or a core committer. Especially when a project is big as yours. [Here](ht=
 is mentioned Kohsuke Kawaguchi is no longer eligible to manage them. Why d=
o you think so and who is the team lead now?

We look forward to your response. Should you have any further questions - w=
e are happy to help. Have a nice day!

-------

Hi

Thanks for getting back to me

Kohsuke is still the project lead, though he works for Cloudbees, which sel=
ls enterprise grade Jenkins.

Which also exclude most of the core contributor, since they work for Cloudbees, from applying to the JetBrains OS license.

So according to a Jenkins meeting they saw the need to find a contributor that was not working directly for cloudbees,
That did not fall under the "Projects that are sponsored by a commercial company or organization, or those with employees paid to work on the project are not eligible"

And according to those meeting batmat one of Jenkins core contributor, that does not work for Cloudbees, were suppose to figure out the license owner for Jenkins.

He has regrettably been too busy from my understanding, this is where I com=
e in as a Plugin maintainer decided to take action.

But if we could figure something out.
I would happily put it on next meeting agenda for the Jenkins project March 1st or March 15th:
Looking forward to your response :)

/Joseph

-------

Hello Joseph,

Thank you for a prompt and detailed response. Sorry for a short delay from my side.

I've talked to the PMM for IntelliJ IDEA. We can support Jenkins with the free OS licenses.
Kohsuke Kawaguchi can still remain the administrator for your project.
This means he can send the request and distribute the licenses. He is not eligible for the free OS license - that's true.

Do you wish to apply on behalf of Jenkins in general or on behalf of the plugins? How many licenses are needed?

We look forward to your response. Should you have any further questions - we are happy to help. Have a nice day :-)

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Apr 28, 2017, 7:04:51 PM4/28/17
to Joseph P, Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
Thanks. I've submitted a renewal request and cited this conversation. Do you know which person in JetBrains you have been talking to? I'd like whoever going to review this request to be able to connect dots on their sides.
--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Joseph P

Apr 28, 2017, 11:00:10 PM4/28/17
to Kohsuke Kawaguchi, Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
The person from Jetbrains I wrote with was Nadya Davydova Community Support Manager