2019 Elections: voting is delayed

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Oct 15, 2019, 9:02:37 AM10/15/19
to JenkinsCI Developers
The proposed time table that we published earlier had Oct 14th as the start of voting, but due to a logistical challenge of running a vote with this many people, we need a bit more time to sort this out.

So the start of voting will be delayed. I currently do not have an ETA, but hopefully it shouldn't take too long.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Marky Jackson

Oct 15, 2019, 9:08:22 AM10/15/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
KK,
Understood.
I think it would be a good exercise post-election to have an open retrospective. Among the many reasons, I also feel it will give the community an opportunity to see how a project of this magnitude handled things like this and others in the open.
Thanks kindly for all you and other do for Jenkins, I for one am truly thankful.

{
    "regards" : {
         "name" : “marky”,
         "phone" : "+1 (408) 464 2965”,
         "email" : “marky.r...@gmail.com",
         "team" : “jackson5“,
 “role” : “software engineer"
     }
 }

Tracy Miranda

Oct 16, 2019, 11:22:22 AM10/16/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I can shed some light on the challenges here.

This year's election will run with the Condorcet Internet Voting System, a system pretty much used widely with other OSS projects/foundations.
As with any software, Condorcet has its limitations which it shares in the FAQ - basically it is not stress tested for 6 figures voting and suggests it would be better to have sanitized email lists for voting.

For Jenkins elections the eligible voter criteria is very inclusive i.e. Eligible voters are those who have an account on jenkins-ci.org prior to Sep 1 (See Board Election Process and 2019 update).
Being the massively successful project that it is there are ~100,000 accounts that meet this criteria. In practice some of these accounts are dormant,bots, etc.
The reality of those who will engage in the election is likely far, far smaller (3 figures or more would be awesome!).

So what is likely now that we reach out to the potential voter base and request folks to opt-in to the election in order to receive a ballot. Users who do not respond are by default opt-out. The expectation is that this process cuts down the voter numbers but also leaves us with a set of highly engaged voters. Additionally it would be good to identify this group for CDF-related elections too.

There are a couple of ways we can do this in practice, each with pros & cons, and likely we should allow a suitable amount of time for folks to register.
The original election dates were set out with an expectation these issues could be resolved beforehand but given folks involved are juggling multiple responsibilities,things did not work out in a timely way.

I'm sure we'll figure out something practical yet effective and make this election happen - just not as soon as originally hoped (story of my life :).

Tracy

Marky Jackson

Oct 18, 2019, 12:36:26 PM10/18/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Sitting here with Oleg and just found out that I am included in the board member elections, I withdraw my nomination for the board position.
I would like to continue forth on the infra officer nomination.

{
    "regards" : {
         "name" : “marky”,
         "phone" : "+1 (408) 464 2965”,
         "email" : “marky.r...@gmail.com",
         "team" : “jackson5“,
 “role” : “software engineer"
     }
 }

On Oct 15, 2019, at 3:02 PM, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <k...@kohsuke.org> wrote:

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Oct 18, 2019, 8:13:57 PM10/18/19
to JenkinsCI Developers

Richard Bywater

Oct 18, 2019, 9:01:10 PM10/18/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Given that there's been a few people who have requested to be removed from the list, would it make sense for the election nomination process to be updated whereby a nominee has to accept their nomination?

The worst case scenario is that someone doesn't spot that they've been nominated and ends up elected even though they have no wish. Obviously not likely to end up in that position but appears it would be a possibility with the current process.

Richard.

Daniel Beck

Oct 19, 2019, 5:12:01 AM10/19/19
to Jenkins Dev

> On 19. Oct 2019, at 02:13, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <k...@kohsuke.org> wrote:
>
> Updated
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/15rJYkBjWLGZTL87xeJ4P2Y1LNn7C0EBb0wkDVUSfLmQ/edit#

You did not update the changelog that you added when I had to decline.

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Oct 21, 2019, 11:52:26 AM10/21/19
to JenkinsCI Developers
Thank you. Fixed.

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Oct 21, 2019, 11:53:24 AM10/21/19
to JenkinsCI Developers
Yes, we talked about the exact same thing.

I'm sure we'll do a retrospective after the whole thing is over, and this will be one of the obvious improvements.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Marky Jackson

Oct 23, 2019, 6:20:46 AM10/23/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
After deep consideration I would like to rescind my nomination as officer of infra..
Thank you kindly for the opportunity to even have a shot.

On Oct 15, 2019, at 6:02 AM, Kohsuke Kawaguchi <k...@kohsuke.org> wrote:

Olblak

Oct 28, 2019, 5:07:05 AM10/28/19
to Jenkins Developers ML
Hi Everybody,

I would like to bring additional information regarding the election specifically about infrastructure challenges.
As you know since we can't invite 100.000 emails addresses, in the condorcet voting tool, we are looking for ways to reduce that number by identifying contributors interested to participate to the election while getting rid of bots, spammers,etc.

Until now we identify two ways of doing that,

1 - Google Form

We send a google form to every jenkins account with a simple question, "Would you like to participate (Yes,No)", wait for one week and then use those email in the condorcet tool

While this solution seems to be the simplest one, it also has limitation:
  1. We need a google account to participate, last time I checked, one third of Jenkins account were using gmail.com
  2. Google forms as limitation about how many email we can send per day, but we could use another service like sendgrid to send an email with the form link

2 - Custom Application

Another solution would be to write a simple application that listen on a specific endpoint.
With the jenkins infra sendgrid account, we send an email to every jenkins account, containing a link to validate if the receiver want to participate or not.

I wrote such application prototype here

As a regular contributor, you receive  an email on  add...@example.com containing a link to
once you click on it, your profile is validated in the database

As an admin, you can access two endpoints
GET - /participants?poll=poll_id, to export a csv with every participants for a specific poll id

POST - /participants?poll=poll_id&group=<any ldap group>, this endpoint retrieve every jenkins account from ldap  for a specific ldap group, generate a unique token for each of them, and then insert the data in a postgresql database.

While I think the custom application will perfectly fit our need, by having a form directly from an email,  I am concerned to not have enough time to dedicate to that.
Because it's one thing to write a prototype, it's another to polish it and use it at scale.
If we go down this way, I'll need some volunteer(s) to test and/or write some code.

So I am looking for suggestions on following topics

1. Is there a better way to collect email's participants for the election?
2. What would be the best approach between custom application versus google form?
3. Is there anybody out there interested to help on this?

Cheers,

---
-> gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 52210D3D
---

Daniel Beck

Oct 28, 2019, 7:31:20 AM10/28/19
to Jenkins Dev

> On 28. Oct 2019, at 10:06, Olblak <m...@olblak.com> wrote:
>
> 1 - Google Form

Have you asked our Chinese contributors regarding the feasibility of this approach for them?

Rick

Oct 28, 2019, 8:00:12 AM10/28/19
to Developers Jenkins
Thanks for the reminder from Daniel.
As far as I know, not every contributor from China can access google.com dut to the policy.

Rick

Oct 28, 2019, 8:01:26 AM10/28/19
to Developers Jenkins
I can be a volunteer to help to maintain the poll application.

Matt Sicker

Oct 28, 2019, 10:00:32 AM10/28/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
In case it's helpful, at Apache, we use a custom voting application: https://steve.apache.org/

--
Matt Sicker
Senior Software Engineer, CloudBees

Tracy Miranda

Oct 28, 2019, 4:44:42 PM10/28/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Following on from what Olivier shared, I'd like to propose some update dates with a bunch of caveats.
Looks like, subject to testing and last 10% of things going well we should be in a position to start rolling out emails to invite folks to register to vote.
We'll allow ~10 days to make sure we reach everybody before we go ahead and open up voting.
Voting itself will be a 2 week period. Having not done this before might be a few obstacles in the way but for now this seems reasonable to me.
Which means we are on target for new reps announced first week of Dec - which will be contributor summit/JenkinsWorld.

Oct 31, 2019: Voter registration begins
Nov 11, 2019: Voting begins
Nov 24th, 2019: Voting closes at 5pm Pacific Time
Dec 3rd, 2019: New representatives announced

Let me know thoughts and will keep folks posted as we keep pressing to make this happen.

Tracy

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Oct 29, 2019, 12:11:38 PM10/29/19
to JenkinsCI Developers
My apologies for taking a while, but I've updated the doc to reflect this.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Oct 29, 2019, 12:13:22 PM10/29/19
to JenkinsCI Developers
Just wanted to publicly thank Olivier and Tracy for driving this important work forward!!

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Daniel Beck

Nov 1, 2019, 9:30:28 AM11/1/19
to Jenkins Dev

> On 28. Oct 2019, at 21:44, Tracy Miranda <tmir...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> Oct 31, 2019: Voter registration begins

Given that it's Nov 1, where are we with this?

Are there Jira (or GH) issues tracking progress of this entire process, that someone interested, but not involved, could follow?

Olblak

Nov 1, 2019, 11:47:29 AM11/1/19
to Jenkins Developers ML
Hi Daniel,

As far as I know, there is no jira ticket and it's a good point that we should have that
As I said several days ago, I wrote a simple application to collect email and we are testing that approach at the moment with a a small group of people. Basically they received an email inviting them to participate to the election

To recall the process

Step 1:
We send an email to every jenkins account containing a link to 'https://polls.jenkins.io/#/participate', mentioning your email account, your unique token, and and poll id
Step2:
After a period, every members who confirmed there participation, are invited in the Condorcet tool to participate to the election.

---
-> gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 52210D3D

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/C7E0248E-9F74-4010-87CD-7D1408537AFD%40beckweb.net.

Tracy Miranda

Nov 4, 2019, 2:37:38 PM11/4/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

We're now in a good position to start sending out voter registration emails. Please look out for an email from elec...@jenkins.io with the title ‘2019 Jenkins Election - Invitation to Participate’.
The email will have details on how to register to vote for the elections. Please note we will likely be sending out emails in batches so over the course of the next few days.
Once they are all sent I will confirm on the dev list so we can troubleshoot for anyone who has not received an email.
Thanks again to Olivier for pulling together a lot of the pieces to make this happen!

Thanks,
Tracy

Tracy Miranda

Nov 8, 2019, 9:28:29 AM11/8/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Here's a post on jenkins.io with election update https://jenkins.io/blog/2019/11/08/board-elections/ and what to expect next.
Thanks to Mark Waite for helping with this & Oleg for reviews.

Also I have withdrawn my candidacy for a board seat as I am doing a bunch behind the scenes with voter registration, etc and would like to stay focussed on overseeing the election process fairly.
I expect in my role as CDF board member to work closely with the new board and help out wherever I can to keep things moving forward in Jenkins.

Tracy

Marky Jackson

Nov 8, 2019, 1:54:06 PM11/8/19
to Jenkins Developers
This is an admirable thing to do Tracy and speaks immensely to your dedication to this project and as a leader, I HUGELY ADMIRE YOU

> https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/C7E0248E-9F74-4010-87CD-7D1408537AFD%40beckweb.net.

Olblak

Nov 9, 2019, 11:34:50 AM11/9/19
to Jenkins Developers ML
Hey,
Some updates with the actual campaign to identify contributors interested by participating to the election

Currently they are 730 people who successfully registered for the next stage

And here some stats from Sendgrid regarding all the emails sent since yesterday, obviously those numbers should still evolve.
So it's too early to take conclusion

90,684: Requests
9,316: Bounces
80,971: Delivered
13,734: Unique Opens
974: Unique Clicks
611: Unsubscribes
6: Spam Reports

---
gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 52210D3D

Tracy Miranda

Nov 11, 2019, 2:50:37 PM11/11/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Marky - thanks for the kind words.

Olivier - thanks for the detailed stats - 730 registered, 🙌
Somehow I also find the 0.01% spam reports strangely comforting - we spend a non-zero amount of time worrying how best not to be spammy - good to see it is worth worrying about but the numbers put it in the right perspective.

Tracy

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Nov 12, 2019, 6:49:07 PM11/12/19
to JenkinsCI Developers
I've updated the nominee personal statement to reflect the withdrawal of Tracy.

--
Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Robert Sandell

Nov 13, 2019, 6:29:44 AM11/13/19
to Jenkins Developer List
I haven't received any email to register for voting, at least not a personal one. I've received two to various group mailing lists but not one connected to my Jenkins account.

/B

--
Robert Sandell
Software Engineer

Olblak

Nov 13, 2019, 7:06:37 AM11/13/19
to Jenkins Developers ML
I haven't received any email to register for voting, at least not a personal one. I've received two to various group mailing lists but not one connected to my Jenkins account.

Have you checked in your spam folder in your corporate email address?
I see that your account uses your corporate email address and also that you didn't confirm your participation
Did you receive an email from 'elec...@jenkins.io'

---
gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 52210D3D
---

Olblak

Nov 13, 2019, 8:25:54 AM11/13/19
to Jenkins Developers ML
Apparently, 'jenkins...@googlegroups.com' endup in the participation list, so the first person who clicked on the email was able to cast an additional vote on behalf of 'jenkinsci-cert mailing list'.
We still have some improvement to identify unique contributors

---
gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 52210D3D
---

Marky Jackson

Nov 13, 2019, 8:40:24 AM11/13/19
to Jenkins Developers
Is there a way to know who cast that vote? This is concerning from a transparency perspective.
My hope is that a document is being kept regarding issues faced during this entire process so it can become part of a hopeful retrospective, and that this is all done in the open. Items like the ones faced can cause concern of fair outcomes of voting for this project and having that shadow cast upon an OSS project is not a good look.
Just my $.2

Robert Sandell
Software Engineer
CloudBees, Inc.
CloudBees-Logo.png
Twitter: robert_sandell

Olblak

Nov 13, 2019, 9:04:40 AM11/13/19
to Jenkins Developers ML
We know the vote id as it was share on that mailing list but we can't know who cast the vote on behalf of jenkins-cert. I don't know if we can invalidate a specific vote based on the vote id.

---
gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 52210D3D

Robert Sandell

Nov 13, 2019, 9:14:22 AM11/13/19
to Jenkins Developer List
> Have you checked in your spam folder in your corporate email address?

Yes, twice and searched through the rest of my account in case it was routed to some strange folder.
And then I searched again with a closer look and it turned out it had been hidden in the middle of the cert team's conversation :)
Sorry for the false alarm.

/B

Jakub Bocheński

Nov 15, 2019, 11:26:56 AM11/15/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi, I tried to register
After recovering the email from my spam folder I clicked "I want to participate" but I get an error

> Your participation can't be confirmed, please contact a Jenkins administrator

Is this the right place to "contact a Jenkins administrator"?

Jakub Bocheński

Nov 15, 2019, 12:05:45 PM11/15/19
to Jenkins Developers