Jira - Confirmed status

Richard Bywater

Sep 11, 2017, 2:26:29 AM9/11/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
A while back there was discussion on possible changes to the Jira workflow which I'm not sure if they got anywhere or not.

However whilst I was just triaging some issues on the HTML Publisher component, it occurred to me there is no real way to highlight issues that have just been submitted by people but need more info (or I'm still trying to verify that it is a problem) vs an issue that I've confirmed is an issue.

Right now it seems that the only way to do this would be to move it to In Progress which then makes people thing I'm actively working on it which I may or may not be.

An "ideal" workflow (well, one that is slightly easier to work with) in my mind would be something like Open->Confirmed->In Progress->Resolved->Closed. Similarly if it wasn't really an issue, something like Open->Rejected->Closed (or just plain Open->Closed perhaps but it would be nice to have that intermediate state where it still looks like discussion can occur on the issue) would make sense.

Can each component have different workflows or is it one workflow to rule them all?

Richard.

Daniel Beck

Sep 11, 2017, 3:10:38 AM9/11/17
to Jenkins Developers

> On 11. Sep 2017, at 08:26, Richard Bywater <ric...@byh2o.com> wrote:
>
> An "ideal" workflow (well, one that is slightly easier to work with) in my mind would be something like Open->Confirmed->In Progress->Resolved->Closed. Similarly if it wasn't really an issue, something like Open->Rejected->Closed (or just plain Open->Closed perhaps but it would be nice to have that intermediate state where it still looks like discussion can occur on the issue) would make sense.

FWIW the SECURITY project has a workflow like that, with Untriaged (unconfirmed), Open, etc. and it's made a lot of sense for us. The semantics for anything not a bug are a bit unclear though, and could cause confusion.

Workflows are project-wide (or perhaps per issue type/per project, not sure), so it wouldn't be specific to your component. But AFAICT additional states are relatively low impact, if some maintainers don't want to use them they don't have to (just like 'In Review').