repository-connector plugin maintainence

Jae Gangemi

Jan 8, 2018, 12:59:41 PM1/8/18
to Jenkins Developers
i'm trying to reach the maintainers of the repostitory-connector plugin to see if they are still interested in maintaining it and if not, what steps i need to do in order to take over and provide support.

thanks!!

--
-jae

Baptiste Mathus

Jan 9, 2018, 4:36:53 PM1/9/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hello!

Thank you for your interest! We've documented the process on this page: https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Adopt+a+Plugin

To sum up, you want to put them in CC (hint: use git history, there should be a bunch of emails there in commits) here, and either they answer, or we have a typical 2 weeks timeout before giving you the necessary permissions to take over.

Thanks again

Jae Gangemi

Jan 9, 2018, 6:22:24 PM1/9/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, do...@fortysix.ch, mic...@rumpfonline.de

  thanks!

  adding original maintainers (as listed in wiki page) to cc list.

-jae

domi

Jan 10, 2018, 1:39:56 AM1/10/18
to Jae Gangemi, Jenkins Developers, mic...@rumpfonline.de
Hi Jae,

I’m more then happy if you want to help out with the repository-connector!
The reason why I did not answer to your first mail is, that my subscription to the jerkins-dev googlegroup does not work anymore - I’m fighting with it since months and have no idea why it does not work…
/Domi

Jae Gangemi

Jan 10, 2018, 10:38:18 AM1/10/18
to Jenkins Developers

  awesome!

  jenkins: jgangemi (jgangemi at gmail)
  github: jgangemi

On Tue, Jan 9, 2018 at 2:36 PM, Baptiste Mathus <m...@batmat.net> wrote:
Hello!

Thank you for your interest! We've documented the process on this page: https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Adopt+a+Plugin

To sum up, you want to put them in CC (hint: use git history, there should be a bunch of emails there in commits) here, and either they answer, or we have a typical 2 weeks timeout before giving you the necessary permissions to take over.

Thanks again
i'm trying to reach the maintainers of the repostitory-connector plugin to see if they are still interested in maintaining it and if not, what steps i need to do in order to take over and provide support.

thanks!!

--
-jae

-jae

Baptiste Mathus

Jan 14, 2018, 3:22:11 PM1/14/18
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks for your patience.
Just added you as a committer Jae.

Obviously you will want to go through PRs for changes, and leave some time to Domi to review it as much as possible.

When/if you wish to release, you'll need to file a PR against the permissions repo, but that's probably not needed yet at that point.

Cheers and welcome!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/e5755176-9209-43ad-8b50-db4f7b93121e%40googlegroups.com.

Jae Gangemi

Jan 22, 2018, 4:19:28 PM1/22/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, do...@fortysix.ch

  would it be possible to get admin access to this repo? i'd like to set up travis to build pull requests but i don't currently have access.

  i have cc-ed domi here. i tried reaching out to touch base and discuss this last week but i have not heard back and wanted to cover my bases.

  thanks!!

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CANWgJS7DtV529r5jvroKu-um3tWCjCQzFmcVg17szQiJ90P96g%40mail.gmail.com.

-jae

Joseph P

Jan 22, 2018, 5:19:10 PM1/22/18
to Jenkins Developers

-jae

Jae Gangemi

Jan 22, 2018, 5:41:16 PM1/22/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

  interesting, i didn't know that existed.

  unfortunately it doesn't look like it will block merging if the build fails or post back status updates to the PR which would be useful in preventing some mistakes (i opened a PR the other day and missed a commit/push that i only found out about after someone tried to pull the PR and build it locally).

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/ebab169e-ba98-4e29-b9f8-6291a88c610d%40googlegroups.com.

-jae

Daniel Beck

Jan 22, 2018, 6:07:38 PM1/22/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, do...@fortysix.ch

> On 22. Jan 2018, at 22:19, Jae Gangemi <jgan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> would it be possible to get admin access to this repo? i'd like to set up travis to build pull requests but i don't currently have access.

I changed the accurev-plugin Developers team to admin access.

Daniel Beck

Jan 22, 2018, 6:08:42 PM1/22/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 22. Jan 2018, at 23:41, Jae Gangemi <jgan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> unfortunately it doesn't look like it will block merging if the build fails or post back status updates to the PR which would be useful in preventing some mistakes (i opened a PR the other day and missed a commit/push that i only found out about after someone tried to pull the PR and build it locally).

It's unclear what you mean.

https://github.com/jenkinsci/repository-connector-plugin/settings/branches allows you to protect branches to prevent merges while PR checks are failing. It has nothing to do with the tool that posts commit statuses.

Jae Gangemi

Jan 22, 2018, 6:54:58 PM1/22/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

  right - but how is the context that is required indicating the build was successful set?

  oh wait...is that handled by some special internal magic by whatever plugin is being used to do the builds vs having to call some step/publisher in the Jenkinsfile itself to set the context?

-jae

Jae Gangemi

Jan 22, 2018, 7:02:10 PM1/22/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

  replace context with status check in the above - context is how it's referred to in the api and not through the website.
--
-jae

Daniel Beck

Jan 23, 2018, 4:27:36 AM1/23/18
to Jenkins Developers

> On 23. Jan 2018, at 00:54, Jae Gangemi <jgan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> right - but how is the context that is required indicating the build was successful set?
>
> oh wait...is that handled by some special internal magic by whatever plugin is being used to do the builds vs having to call some step/publisher in the Jenkinsfile itself to set the context?

That's built in to GitHub Branch Source Plugin. Docs here:
https://go.cloudbees.com/docs/cloudbees-documentation/cje-user-guide/index.html#_github_pull_requests

Look at any plugin repo that has a Jenkinsfile and you're going to see plenty of commit statuses, linking back to ci.jenkins.io.

domi

Jan 23, 2018, 4:30:02 AM1/23/18
to Jae Gangemi, Daniel Beck, Jenkins Developers

Hey Jae,

I don’t know why my last email did not reach you, but I did answer you a few days ago…
Here is a copy:

Hi Jae,

There is no need to enable travis, as every Jenkins Plugin hosted in the Jenkins GH Org, we can make use of the Jenkins Project Infrastructure - also it would be very strange to have a Jenkins project to need Travis to build there PRs…
The Repository Connector seem not yet integrated into this env, but I think we should aim for this solution. Most probably the only thing missing is the “Jenkinsfile”: https://github.com/jenkinsci/config-file-provider-plugin/blob/master/Jenkinsfile
Here is an example of an other plugin of mine: https://ci.jenkins.io/blue/organizations/jenkins/Plugins%2Fconfig-file-provider-plugin/activity
In terms of the future… I think the first would be to upgrade the parent pom to  org.jenkins-ci.plugins:plugin this would ease a lot of things and should keep us up to date with the latest requirements when it comes to plugin maintenance.
Other things:
- pipeline support, I did not have the time to check https://github.com/jenkinsci/repository-connector-plugin/pull/21
- upgrade/replace of aether, aether is no longer an active project and is now (as far as I understand) replaced by https://maven.apache.org/resolver/

PRs: unfortunate I’m very limited in terms of time right now - but I fully trust you and you can move things forward! If you want me to have a look to, just mention me in the PR comments (@imod) and I will do my best.
Releases: the same rule as with PRs: I trust you! If you think a release is ready, go for it or ask me to do one. The only thing I ask you for here, is that you try to update the release notes on the wiki too - as a user, I hate releases where I have no idea what changed.

…in general: I trust you and I think that we only can move forward if we both do so.

Regards Domi

domi