Grant timja immediate permissions to commons-lang3-api plugin

Mark Waite

Jul 18, 2022, 11:31:51 PM7/18/22
to Jenkins Developers
A release of the Apache mina API plugins (core and common) have exposed a cyclic dependency between the mina plugins, configuration as code, and other plugins.  Details are into from https://issues.jenkins.io/browse/JENKINS-69034 .  A workaround is available, but a fix would be much better for users than the workaround.

The preferred fix needs a new release of the commons-lang3-api plugin.  The current maintainer has not responded to previous requests nor to the current request that asks to grant Tim Jacomb permission to maintain the plugin.

The usual process would require a 2 week wait for the adoption request to "time out".  I propose an exception in this case based on the need to deliver a new release of the commons-lang3-api-plugin.  Tim is the Jenkins release officer, a long-standing contributor to the Jenkins project, and a strong contributor.

I propose that Tim be granted permission immediately to maintain the  commons-lang3-api plugin as requested in the RPU pull request.

Mark Waite

Gavin Mogan

Jul 18, 2022, 11:52:46 PM7/18/22
to Jenkins Developers
your first link doesn't actually goto
https://issues.jenkins.io/browse/JENKINS-69034

I'm very much +1 with the mess of that sshd plugin has caused all day.
I've been redirecting threads and issues and stuff.

Gavin

Basil Crow

Jul 19, 2022, 1:20:17 AM7/19/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+UINT64_MAX

On Mon, Jul 18, 2022 at 8:31 PM Mark Waite <mark.ea...@gmail.com> wrote:

Raihaan Shouhell

Jul 19, 2022, 1:55:04 AM7/19/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1

This is break is quite severe

Cheers,
Raihaan

Daniel Beck

Jul 19, 2022, 2:42:21 AM7/19/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
On Tue, Jul 19, 2022 at 5:31 AM Mark Waite <mark.ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
The preferred fix needs a new release of the commons-lang3-api plugin.  The current maintainer has not responded to previous requests nor to the current request that asks to grant Tim Jacomb permission to maintain the plugin.

The usual process would require a 2 week wait for the adoption request to "time out".  I propose an exception in this case based on the need to deliver a new release of the commons-lang3-api-plugin.  Tim is the Jenkins release officer, a long-standing contributor to the Jenkins project, and a strong contributor.

I propose that Tim be granted permission immediately to maintain the  commons-lang3-api plugin as requested in the RPU pull request.

As I wrote in the RPU PR, the easy fix without plugin governance challenges is to remove the ill-advised dependency from configuration-as-code, reverting jenkinsci/configuration-as-code-plugin#1979 [of which Tim is already a maintainer]. It seems unnecessary to go over maintainers' heads while that's an option. While this is the only plugin with the dependency, there's no benefit in conflict prevention anyway, and the PR provides no justification.

Tim Jacomb

Jul 19, 2022, 4:46:23 AM7/19/22
to Jenkins Developers
I've temporarily reverted it

Once the plugin is sorted we will re-add it to JCasC. We have fairly frequent pain in conflicts from both commons-text and commons-lang3 and this was an attempt to put an end to that.