Growing community via a stronger Twitter presence

Tracy Miranda

Jul 17, 2018, 6:02:04 AM7/17/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

I would like share some ideas and makes some proposals to improve Jenkins presence on Twitter via the @jenkinsci (& related) twitter accounts.

The @jenkinsci account has a massive following though mostly has automated tweets on blogs/youtube vids and retweets. The former have limitations in terms of tagging folks, etc.

Based on experiences in Eclipse community and the setup of the @eclipsejavaide account here are some proposals I would like to champion:

1. Allow >1 person to tweet from the account
@eclipsejavaide have a core team of 3 who manage the account via tweetdeck. They have a strategy in place which guides their posting content & interaction with users. For example, the content focus is on tips, news and support.

2. Provide regular stats on twitter growth
The core team would provide regular (monthly) updates to the mailing list on number of followers, impressions and top tweets e.g. http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/ide-dev/msg01769.html

3. Setup a 'Tip of the Day' framework to encourage community contributions
The account had a 'Tip of the Day' going out every day which normally included a gif e.g. https://wiki.eclipse.org/Tip_of_the_Day/Eclipse_Tips/Now_where_was_I
I could see how we could do something similar with Jenkins - this included monitoring a hashtag e.g. in our case we could use #JenkinsTips as a way for others to mark tweets that could be retweeted.

Please let me know thoughts and I'll add to agenda for governance meeting this Wednesday.

Thanks,
Tracy

Daniel Beck

Jul 17, 2018, 6:03:21 AM7/17/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 17. Jul 2018, at 12:02, Tracy Miranda <tmir...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> The former have limitations in terms of tagging folks, etc.

What does this mean?

Tracy Miranda

Jul 17, 2018, 6:06:25 AM7/17/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Tagging authors of blog posts can't be done automatically, see https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/WEBSITE-499

Tracy Miranda

Jul 17, 2018, 6:11:53 AM7/17/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Also images from blog posts aren't picked up e.g. this tweet https://twitter.com/jenkinsci/status/1017585375856988160 has some great pics in post but the tweet itself is dull.

Daniel Beck

Jul 17, 2018, 6:18:26 AM7/17/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 17. Jul 2018, at 12:11, Tracy Miranda <tmir...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> Also images from blog posts aren't picked up e.g. this tweet https://twitter.com/jenkinsci/status/1017585375856988160 has some great pics in post but the tweet itself is dull.
>
> On Tue, Jul 17, 2018 at 11:06 AM, Tracy Miranda <tmir...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
> Tagging authors of blog posts can't be done automatically, see https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/WEBSITE-499

Thanks. Yes, all of that would be nice.

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 17, 2018, 10:39:21 AM7/17/18
to Jenkins Developers
+1 for all proposals.
If somebody has capacity to improve the Twitter presence, it would help a lot.
I have also reopened https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/WEBSITE-499 taking the discussion

BR, Oleg

R. Tyler Croy

Jul 17, 2018, 11:45:50 AM7/17/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
(replies inline)

On Tue, 17 Jul 2018, Tracy Miranda wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I would like share some ideas and makes some proposals to improve Jenkins
> presence on Twitter via the @jenkinsci (& related) twitter accounts.
>
> The @jenkinsci account has a massive following though mostly has automated
> tweets on blogs/youtube vids and retweets. The former have limitations in
> terms of tagging folks, etc.

I definitely agree that we can improve the Twitter presence, but I disagree
disagree with the assessment here that the following has largely been through
automated tweets. I have been manually cuhrating this account for the better
part of eight years (guess who clicks the retweet buttons :)).

> 1. Allow >1 person to tweet from the account
> @eclipsejavaide have a core team of 3 who manage the account via tweetdeck.
> They have a strategy in place which guides their posting content &
> interaction with users. For example, the content focus is on tips, news and
> support.

I agree with using TweetDeck, what's important to me are the policies and trust
delegated to those speaking on behalf of the project. For example, maintaining
ac common tone and reasonable cadence are both important to me. Contrasted to
the Twitter presence of my employer which is a firehose of nonsensical hashtags
and images, and likely has significantly less impact than @jenkinsci.

I'm not sure if you're suggesting this specifically or just referring to the
Eclipse Foundation's work, but I really really really don't believe we should
pretend to provide _any_ "support" via Twitter. We genuinely don't have time to
keep up with the jenkinsci-users mailing list, let alone Jira tickets, and
encouraging the use of Twitter as a support channel I believe would only make
things worse.

> 2. Provide regular stats on twitter growth
> The core team would provide regular (monthly) updates to the mailing list
> on number of followers, impressions and top tweets e.g.
> http://dev.eclipse.org/mhonarc/lists/ide-dev/msg01769.html

A good idea, but Twitter Analytics doesn't to my knowledge have any easy
automated export of some of this data. Somebody else would need to do this
manually, which I'm not going to volunteer for :P

I should note the policy I have advocated for on the Jenkins Infra list for our
use of Google Analytics, which is: any use of the analytics must be done
publicly. For example, if you wanted to see how some content performed which
was important to you or your employer, you would need to share that information
with the Jenkins project first and foremost, rather than utilizing privileges
to answer personal or professional questions with the analytics.

> 3. Setup a 'Tip of the Day' framework to encourage community contributions
> The account had a 'Tip of the Day' going out every day which normally
> included a gif e.g.
> https://wiki.eclipse.org/Tip_of_the_Day/Eclipse_Tips/Now_where_was_I
> I could see how we could do something similar with Jenkins - this included
> monitoring a hashtag e.g. in our case we could use #JenkinsTips as a way
> for others to mark tweets that could be retweeted.

"X of the day" is a pattern that doesn't really make sense on a platform like
Twitter these days. So much content is curated and bubbled up to users
depending on favorites/retweets that the volume-based approach to Twitter
marketing simply doesn't make sense. The platform strongly incentivizes fewer,
but more socially impactful, tweets these days.

Additionally, I think it's important to use the @jenkinsci twitter account as a
trustworthy reputable source of information that doesn't feel too much like
"noise", since security and LTS notices are also pushed through that channel.

> Please let me know thoughts and I'll add to agenda for governance meeting
> this Wednesday.

Generally I'm very supportive of this idea, but would you mind taking a stab at
writing a JEP or proto-JEP on your thoughts for managing access and content
controls for @jenkinsci? Clearly defining expectations for contributors will
make it much easier for me to delegate trust that this communication channel I
built from scratch will be in good hands.

Thanks for taking the effort on :D

signature.asc

R. Tyler Croy

Aug 13, 2018, 3:22:22 PM8/13/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Following up on this thread, Tracy's taken the initiative to create a good JEP
describing the proposed process here:
https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/pull/175

As the primary poster of @jenkinsci, I'm really looking forward to sharing some
responsibilities with other passionate twitter/jenkins contributors :)

signature.asc

Tracy Miranda

Aug 14, 2018, 8:34:37 AM8/14/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Tyler, Daniel & Mark for the feedback so far.

I've updated the JEP based on this: https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/pull/176

Please review and let me know any further thoughts.

Tracy

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 17, 2018, 8:39:42 AM8/17/18
to Jenkins Developers
I like the JEP draft in the current state.

IMHO it would be great to extend Infrastructure Requirements a bit:
  • A new Tweetdeck account is created
  • Jenkins INFRA team has access to Tweetdeck so it can handle the requests if needed
  • The account is documented on the Jenkins INFRA wiki pages or jenkins.io
BR, Oleg

On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 8:22 PM, R. Tyler Croy <ty...@monkeypox.org> wrote:

Following up on this thread, Tracy's taken the initiative to create a good JEP
describing the proposed process here:
    https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/pull/175

As the primary poster of @jenkinsci, I'm really looking forward to sharing some
responsibilities with other passionate twitter/jenkins contributors :)

R. Tyler Croy

Aug 17, 2018, 12:42:23 PM8/17/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
(replies inline)

On Fri, 17 Aug 2018, Oleg Nenashev wrote:

> I like the JEP draft in the current state.
>
> IMHO it would be great to extend Infrastructure Requirements a bit:
>
> - A new Tweetdeck account is created
> - Jenkins INFRA team has access to Tweetdeck so it can handle the
> requests if needed

These two already exist.

> - The account is documented on the Jenkins INFRA wiki pages or jenkins.io
>
> BR, Oleg
>
> On Tuesday, August 14, 2018 at 2:34:37 PM UTC+2, Tracy Miranda wrote:
> >
> > Thanks Tyler, Daniel & Mark for the feedback so far.
> >
> > I've updated the JEP based on this:
> > https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/pull/176
> >
> > Please review and let me know any further thoughts.
> >
> > Tracy
> >
> > On Mon, Aug 13, 2018 at 8:22 PM, R. Tyler Croy <ty...@monkeypox.org
> > <javascript:>> wrote:
> >

> >> Following up on this thread, Tracy's taken the initiative to create a
> >> good JEP
> >> describing the proposed process here:
> >> https://github.com/jenkinsci/jep/pull/175
> >>

> >> As the primary poster of @jenkinsci, I'm really looking forward to
> >> sharing some
> >> responsibilities with other passionate twitter/jenkins contributors :)
> >>

> >> --

signature.asc

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 19, 2018, 2:52:52 PM8/19/18
to Jenkins Developers
These two already exist.
Nice 2 know
Once Tweetdeck gets documented somewhere on Jenkins infra pages (e.g. just a link to the JEP), I think it's fully ready to go.

P.S: Maybe it's a bit off-topic, but probably we should change avatar of the Twitter account. It still has a Jenkins 2.0 announcement image.

arch

Aug 19, 2018, 5:58:36 PM8/19/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Good to see Jenkins community is growing quickly, Twitter is also a great and very popular platform.
And I hope more and more Chinese people could involve into the Jenkins community, know what happened in the Jenkins community, clear the way how to contribute. WeChat is very popular in China, almost every Chinese people are using WeChat, maybe for personal life or work. I think maybe we can publish some messages or news into Enterprise WeChat. We can think about sync with Twitter or addition from Chinese Localization SIG. If anyone is interested in this proposal, please let me know. Thanks.

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 19, 2018, 6:13:21 PM8/19/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
Yes, having such resources would be a great help to promote the local Jenkins communities and events. If you are interested to create them, thumbs up! Just be sure you can dedicate enough time to maintain this resources in the active state.

Personal experience: In Jenkins RU we use Twitter (@jenkins_ru) but it is not that effective, because it is just time consuming to track and repost content (tip: I will appreciate contributions!). We also have a localized Gitter channel which is pretty active. But I believe that we could have had more discussions if we were using a chat popular Russia (Telegram is blocked there, but apparently it is the most popular chat AFAICT). I'd guess WeChat would be a way to go in your case.

Best regards,
Oleg

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAMM7nTGzvyRWwAufkXXM6Y3fVP6RrJK7sx4G-PY5GraZxH0QZQ%40mail.gmail.com.

arch

Aug 19, 2018, 6:40:10 PM8/19/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I can handle this. Yeah, WeChat is the Chinese version Twitter. Everyone loves WeChat. Gitter is awesome. But just a few people to use it, we prefer WeChat. And the Enterprise WeChat is more official.
But there is one problem, only enterprise or organization can register. If we want to do this, we need Jenkins support.

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 19, 2018, 7:43:42 PM8/19/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
But there is one problem, only enterprise or organization can register. If we want to do this, we need Jenkins support.

Jenkins has no legal entity, it leaves under umbrella of SPI. I am not sure that Jenkins qualifies from the legal PoV, even if such registration agreement is acceptable from the project,s PoV (e.g. whether we can accept WeChat censorship, etc.). Could you provide a list of requirements to such organizations?

BR, Oleg

arch

Aug 30, 2018, 9:32:27 AM8/30/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
There isn't any description of this in WeChat website. It just requires an organization number. We can try it. Or if you think it's ok then I can apply the account as the name of my company.
Yes, we can't talk about policy in China.

arch

Sep 28, 2018, 7:22:07 AM9/28/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
How is it going?

Tracy Miranda

Oct 2, 2018, 6:44:50 AM10/2/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

As an update this is progressing.

Thanks to all those who would like to be involved. For now I recommend you join https://gitter.im/jenkinsci/jenkins-community and tag me on tweet suggestions and I will schedule them out to go out.
Then we can work on expanding the fold to make this easier.

For WeChat, that would be good to do but looks like there are some potential legal issues to sort out. Maybe we can schedule a call next week to discuss?

Tracy

How is it going?

arch

Oct 2, 2018, 9:15:30 AM10/2/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
OK, I have joined the room. I'd like to discuss this.

How is it going?

arch

Oct 26, 2018, 10:06:22 PM10/26/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi racy Miranda, did I missed the meeting? I'd like to take the initiative to work on Jenkins in Wechat.

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 29, 2018, 4:58:32 PM10/29/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
Hi,

I would like to get access to the Jenkins Twitter account so that I can help with tweets in the EU timezone and with GSoC-related stuff. Would it be possible?

W.R.T WeChat, just go forward IMO. It may require a trademark usage request, but I do not see blockers from our side.

BR, Oleg

arch

Oct 29, 2018, 10:25:22 PM10/29/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
As we discussed before. It'll need an organization number for creating WeChat.

Baptiste Mathus

Oct 30, 2018, 6:00:17 AM10/30/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hey I think you'll need to treat us, at least me, as kids with regards to this.
I've personally no idea what an 'organization number' means and how the Jenkins Project would ever get one.

arch

Oct 30, 2018, 10:12:06 PM10/30/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
For WeChat Offical Accounts Platform, there are four account types. At first, I prefer the Service Account. But I need Organization name and Organization Code if I choose Service Account.
Maybe I should take the Subscription Account.

Oleg Nenashev

Oct 31, 2018, 3:52:54 AM10/31/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
Yes, it was discussed above.
Jenkins project cannot provide this data, because it has no legal entity.

My suggestion would be to register a chat on a local company as you suggested above:
  1. Select a name for the chat, e.g. "Jenkins WeChat Channel" or whatever cool (I am bad at naming)
  2. Approve Trademark at the Jenkins Governance meeting: https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Approved+Trademark+Usage
  3. Send WeChat registration request
Such approach would allow to make the chat official and to prevent  concerns from other community members about the chat being operated by a company.
W.r.t the company to own the trademark, it may be your company as suggested above. Or maybe another company if we are able to find a partner interested in it.

Best regards,
Oleg

arch

Oct 31, 2018, 5:06:38 AM10/31/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
We should think about the concerns. But maybe running WeChat Service Account in a local company is a better solution for now. To make sure the Jenkins Board members have the full control is necessary. So other people could make a request to join the management team. I'll discuss about the details with my company.

arch

Nov 1, 2018, 2:55:36 AM11/1/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
We all agree with this. I think it's good for Jenkins Community and Chinese users(developers). It could let more Chinese people get messages and information from Jenkins Community. So if there are no other concerns. I'll work on this.
First of all, I going to make sure every contributor in China could involve it. I think that create a repo in jenkins-infra to store articles is a good way. So people could review the article.

arch

Nov 1, 2018, 3:02:24 AM11/1/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
About trademark. Do I need to create an issue in JIRA or other places?

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 1, 2018, 3:10:10 AM11/1/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
No need in JIRA.
Please just start a new Developer ML thread (this one is about Twitter) and add the item to the next governance meeting agenda