Jenkins conference questions

Rick

Feb 1, 2019, 3:51:55 AM2/1/19
to Jenkins Developers, jenkins-advocacy...@googlegroups.com, Alyssa Tong
hi,

As we know, there is a page introduce the Jenkins Area Meetup in https://jenkins.io/projects/jam/. That's very good. It's clear for everybody. But I have some confusions about the Jenkins conference. I barely can't find any description about it.

In the last Jenkins Advocacy and Outreach SIG meeting, we got some discussion about this. Oleg gave me a link https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Approved+Trademark+Usage.

So in my opinion, hosting a Jenkins conference needs to get a trademark usage to approve. But I don't know whether the approval is permanent. I think a guideline for these might be very helpful.

If there's any misunderstanding, please correct me.

Best regards,

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 1, 2019, 1:12:30 PM2/1/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Rick,

First of all, thanks a lot to you and your company for the interest in organizing the Jenkins conference! There not so many entities organizing conferences, and we do not have clear guidelines for that unfortunately. IMHO everybody is encouraged to organize Jenkins-related conferences, as long as they request the trademark usage permission and comply with Code of Conduct.

Alyssa Tong is a Jenkins Event officer, and she might be able to help with the organizing the event.

So in my opinion, hosting a Jenkins conference needs to get a trademark usage to approve

Yes, if you want to have "Jenkins" in the conference name

So in my opinion, hosting a Jenkins conference needs to get a trademark usage to approve. But I don't know whether the approval is permanent. I think a guideline for these might be very helpful.

The approval is permanent unless the user of the trademark violates the usage conditions && the approval is revoked by the Jenkins board.
We have never had a case for that in the community tho

BR, Oleg

Alyssa Tong

Feb 1, 2019, 7:31:40 PM2/1/19
to Jenkins Dev
Apologies for the delayed response as i'm traveling. Thank you Oleg for providing a thorough response :)

Hi Rick,

Oleg has pretty nailed it in his response.  For what it's worth,  we do not have a page w/ set guidelines for conferences as it's a larger and complex scale than meetup groups.  Typically people willing to put together a conference has previous conference organization experiences. Also, they look at previous conferences i.e Jenkins World, JUC Israel, etc and would follow similar format.  I've worked closely with Jenkins conference organizers to help guide them through the process, i.e obtain trademark, event details, and promotions to name a few. Am happy to work with you on your event as well. Pls feel free to reach out directly if I can be of any help.

thnx
alyssa

Rick

Feb 1, 2019, 9:05:16 PM2/1/19
to Developers Jenkins
Thank Oleg and Alyssa. Very clear for me.