GSoC proposal about the Multi-branch for Gitlab

arch

Dec 3, 2018, 8:52:54 PM12/3/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
hi:

I made a proposal about the Multi-branch support for Gitlab.

Here is the doc link.

Any comments are welcome.

Thanks,
Rick

Oleg Nenashev

Dec 4, 2018, 7:19:17 AM12/4/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Rick,

Thanks for starting this discussion! I think it is good to be published as a draft project idea on jenkins.io.
I suggest to also bring up this topic in the Pipeline Authoring SIG (e.g. just adding it to CC).

Best regards,
Oleg

arch

Dec 5, 2018, 8:45:47 AM12/5/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Agree with this.

Rick

Jan 3, 2019, 5:53:30 AM1/3/19
to Jenkins Developers
I've made some changes. Consider that the current proposal could be a little scope for GSoC. How about let it covers multi git provider. Like gitea and gitlab.

Ryan

Jan 7, 2019, 8:13:14 PM1/7/19
to Jenkins Developers
FYI, I made a comment - It's worth noting that GitLab CI is not available in the Community Edition, which makes Jenkins the best available alternative. A strong integration point between Jenkins and GitLab Community Edition makes for a very convincing open source stack when considering CI/CD tools.

I think this is an excellent, and very welcome feature that's been missing for quite some time.  I applaud the effort, and hope this comes-to-be.

Tobias Gruetzmacher

Jan 9, 2019, 8:23:17 AM1/9/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

On Mon, Jan 07, 2019 at 05:13:14PM -0800, Ryan wrote:
> FYI, I made a comment - It's worth noting that GitLab CI is not
> available in the Community Edition, which makes Jenkins the best
> available alternative. A strong integration point between Jenkins and
> GitLab Community Edition makes for a very convincing open source stack
> when considering CI/CD tools.

just as a correction: That's not true. GitLab CI is available in the
Community Edition. See
https://about.gitlab.com/product/continuous-integration/ for details.
The Debian project is running a big GitLab Community Edition instance
with GitLab CI: https://salsa.debian.org/public

From my personal experience, GitLab CI is better integrated with GitLab
(naturally), but Jenkins offers more flexibility (for example with
integration of test result reporting and third-party services).

> I think this is an excellent, and very welcome feature that's been
> missing for quite some time.  I applaud the effort, and hope this
> comes-to-be.

Dito. For the record: I'm personally administrating a pretty big Jenkins
instance at work with GitLab integration and having better integration
would certainly help us (see for example
https://github.com/jenkinsci/gitlab-plugin/pull/600)

Regards, Tobias