Create plugins that require oracle jdbc diver

Miguel Campos

Sep 13, 2020, 9:09:40 AM9/13/20
to Jenkins Developers

Dear group,
I hope you can help me so get my head arroun on how is the right way of doing this.
I'm trying to build a plugin that that needs to work with databases My primary target is oracle database. but since I want to make this pluin public I will try to make it also work with other databases like mysql and postgress

but oracle is a must for me.

I thought on make the ojdbc available to jenkins in a similar way that is done for the mysql driver: https://github.com/jenkinsci/database-mysql-plugin

Unfortunately I hae learn that due to license issues ojdbc is not on maven repos.
and I think that if I include somehow the jar into my hpi file that won't be suitable to made it to the official jenkins plugins repository.

so how should I handle this.
Create the plugin with a big warning sign  and make the user responsible of adding the ojdbc diver manually to jenkins install?

Thanks of answers.

Tim Jacomb

Sep 13, 2020, 9:36:10 AM9/13/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Miguel

I would recommend adding instructions to your plugin on how users can install it.

The driver should be added to the  $JENKINS_HOME/jdbc-drivers folder:

Thanks
Tim

John Patrick

Sep 13, 2020, 11:06:21 AM9/13/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Oracle does have a maven repo, so you can add the repository into your
pom, but anyone/anything wanting to build it would need to add
something into their settings.xml inorder to download those
dependencies. As per this guide
https://blogs.oracle.com/dev2dev/get-oracle-jdbc-drivers-and-ucp-from-oracle-maven-repository-without-ides

John

Mark Waite

Sep 13, 2020, 11:10:18 AM9/13/20
to jenkinsci-dev
On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 9:06 AM John Patrick <nhoj.p...@gmail.com> wrote:
Oracle does have a maven repo, so you can add the repository into your
pom, but anyone/anything wanting to build it would need to add
something into their settings.xml inorder to download those
dependencies. As per this guide
https://blogs.oracle.com/dev2dev/get-oracle-jdbc-drivers-and-ucp-from-oracle-maven-repository-without-ides

While that would work to build the plugin, that plugin would not be allowed to be hosted in the Jenkins infrastructure because it includes components that are not open source.  Since Miguel said that he intends to make the plugin public, I assume that he intends to have it hosted in the Jenkins infrastructure so that it is available from the Jenkins update center and the source code is hosted in the Jenkins GitHub organization.

Mark Waite

John

On Sun, 13 Sep 2020 at 14:09, Miguel Campos <mcam...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear group,
> I hope you can help me so get my head arroun on how is the right way of doing this.
> I'm trying to build a plugin that that needs to work with databases My primary target is oracle database. but since I want to make this pluin public I will try to make it also work with other databases like mysql and postgress
>
> but oracle is a must for me.
>
> I thought on make the ojdbc available to jenkins in a similar way that is done for the mysql driver: https://github.com/jenkinsci/database-mysql-plugin
>
> Unfortunately I hae learn that due to license issues ojdbc is not on maven repos.
> and I think that if I include somehow the jar into my hpi file that won't be suitable to made it to the official jenkins plugins repository.
>
> so how should I handle this.
> Create the plugin with a big warning sign  and make the user responsible of adding the ojdbc diver manually to jenkins install?
>
> Thanks of answers.

Miguel Campos

Sep 13, 2020, 1:44:35 PM9/13/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thans for your answer.

I saw early today that oracle released their ojdbc jar to maven central.
Does that mean any license change?
Or still can not go as a dependency into my plugin?

I'm a bit lost here.
And it definitelly will be a pity having to install it afterwards as a dependency.

This pluging is going to save my life and I hope it will help others with similar issues.
On the other hand inf no one needed so far 🤦‍♂️ may be no one cares.  But for my work is really important and it's being fun and I'm learning a lot during the process.
You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAO49JtG7dt0hLgDk881SWCtrcsKDoE3AgeB1ZaEgsZAez1iZGQ%40mail.gmail.com.

Tobias Gruetzmacher

Sep 24, 2020, 8:43:50 AM9/24/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

On Sun, Sep 13, 2020 at 07:44:14PM +0200, Miguel Campos wrote:
> I saw early today that oracle released their ojdbc jar to maven central.
>
> Does that mean any license change?

Not in a significant way. These artifacts are governed by this license:
https://www.oracle.com/downloads/licenses/oracle-free-license.html -
Oracle just made it easier to consume the drivers:
https://www.oracle.com/database/technologies/maven-central-guide.html

(IANAL)

> Or still can not go as a dependency into my plugin?

Correct.

With the existing database plugin framework
(https://plugins.jenkins.io/database/ and related), it would be feasible
to create an "Oracle DB" plugin, which would only download the Oracle
driver from Maven Central after the user accepted the license...

Regards, Tobias

Miguel Campos

Sep 24, 2020, 1:32:36 PM9/24/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks I will have to inveatigate that posibility.