Crawler: Reporting failures & merging PRs

Tim Van Holder

Feb 12, 2021, 3:09:37 PM2/12/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

two weeks ago I noticed that my global tool configuration wasn't listing the most recent SDK.
Looking on the update center, I found that the files were indeed out of date.

Investigating further showed there was indeed a failure in my crawler script, so I fixed it and submitted a PR.
This got approved not too long after.

However, it still hasn't been merged, and there's now 2 SDKs that have been released but are not listed.

Can something be done to:
a) detect crawler failures more easily, and
b) make it easier to have these PRs reviewed and merged?

For a), given the scripts are run in locked down configurations, there's no way (that I know of) to see the actual failures. Perhaps a list of failing scripts could be mailed to this list every time the crawler runs (or only after 3 consecutive failures or something, to make it less spammy when there are transient failures)?

For b), I'm not sure if there's a role that could be pinged in a comment. Or some other mechanism to get this looked at. It's frustrating to see a problem (potentially long after it started, due to a)), fix it quickly, and then wait weeks to have that fix applied.

Tim Jacomb

Feb 12, 2021, 3:42:34 PM2/12/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Code owners could be added to automatically request review

jenkins-infra/core and tools have access to merge there, you won’t be able to tag them though unless you’re a member of the org

You can always ping in #jenkins-infra on freenode IRC

I’ve merged the PR that you were referring to