LTS schedule winter break

Daniel Beck

Nov 11, 2020, 3:48:10 AM11/11/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi everyone,

We have an LTS release scheduled for December 30, which probably isn't useful: The RC testing period is from Dec 16 to Dec 30. Plus who wants to release things the day before NYE?

I propose we add a two-week break between 2.263.1 release and 2.263.2 RC, postponing all future RCs and releases by two weeks accordingly.

Before:
Dec 2 - 2.263.1 Release
Dec 16 - 2.263.2 RC
Dec 30 - 2.263.2 Release
etc.

After:
Dec 2 - 2.263.1 Release
Dec 30 - 2.263.2 RC
Jan 13 - 2.263.2 Release
etc.

This should give us a useful RC testing period in early January. Since this is the .2 release, a slightly longer backporting period in December could help getting more fixes in for issues discovered in .1 as well.

While the RC would be scheduled for Dec 30, it could always be prepared earlier if nobody would be around in late December to do it. If that doesn't work out and it is published in early Jan, that wouldn't be too much of a delay either.

WDYT?

Daniel

Antonio Muñiz

Nov 11, 2020, 4:01:20 AM11/11/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1

Antonio Muñiz
Human, Engineer
CloudBees, Inc.

Ildefonso Montero

Nov 11, 2020, 4:08:45 AM11/11/20
to Jenkins Developers
+1

Raul Arabaolaza

Nov 11, 2020, 4:15:24 AM11/11/20
to Jenkins Developers
+1

bmu...@cloudbees.com

Nov 11, 2020, 4:42:01 AM11/11/20
to Jenkins Developers
+1

fque...@cloudbees.com

Nov 11, 2020, 4:54:20 AM11/11/20
to Jenkins Developers
+1

Marky Jackson

Nov 11, 2020, 6:05:29 AM11/11/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1

> On Nov 11, 2020, at 12:48 AM, Daniel Beck <m...@beckweb.net> wrote:
>
> Hi everyone,

Baptiste Mathus

Nov 11, 2020, 8:15:47 AM11/11/20
to Jenkins Developers
+1, makes sense especially to preserve the lives of the people involved.

Mark Waite

Nov 11, 2020, 8:25:53 AM11/11/20
to jenkinsci-dev

Tim Jacomb

Nov 11, 2020, 9:01:25 AM11/11/20
to Jenkins Developers
Is someone going to want to do an RC on 'Dec 30 - 2.263.2 RC' though?

could we leave the RC date as the 16th and then release it on the 13th?

(creating more RCs as needed if required)

Daniel Beck

Nov 11, 2020, 9:16:13 AM11/11/20
to JenkinsCI Developers
On Wed, Nov 11, 2020 at 3:01 PM Tim Jacomb <timja...@gmail.com> wrote:
Is someone going to want to do an RC on 'Dec 30 - 2.263.2 RC' though?

I address that in my proposal, that can always be created earlier if necessary due to scheduling/vacation issues. If you implement it as you propose, there will still be an RC on the 30th, just two weeks old. No matter when the actual RC is created, it's probably a good idea to do backporting and backporting review fairly early in any case.

Vlad Silverman

Nov 11, 2020, 1:32:53 PM11/11/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 11, 2020, 3:41:37 PM11/11/20
to Jenkins Developers
I am pretty sure that our Release Automation infra would not mind to cut a release on Dec 30, but there is still a lot of manual work involved in cutting an LTS release.
I am +1 for postponing, especially if there are no major issues to be addressed.

Postponing the release would also give more time for ramp-up to a new release officer whose term starts on Dec 03.

Best regards,
Oleg

Tim Jacomb

Nov 11, 2020, 3:53:38 PM11/11/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Well RC builds aren’t automated yet...

Victor Martinez

Nov 11, 2020, 6:43:31 PM11/11/20
to Jenkins Developers
+1

Just a quick question regarding the winter break, even if the release dates are not known yet I wonder whether the calendar could be potentially changed to reflect a potentially release freeze for the last two weeks of the year and the new week of next year by default? This is something that have been happening for the last years as de facto standard,.

Cheers

Oliver Gondža

Nov 12, 2020, 2:41:55 AM11/12/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hey, Thank you all for the inputs. I approve the suggested timeline, so
the calendar is updated.

Please do not count on the exact RC date in late December.

--
oliver