Plugin Hosting Requests

Slide

Apr 1, 2021, 11:05:39 PM4/1/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Everyone,

As I brought up last year, I am having less time to work on Jenkins because of work responsibilities. It's time for me to reduce my time on Jenkins again sadly. I have been handling many of the plugin hosting requests that come in, running the checker and doing code reviews on the plugins prior to them being accepted into the jenkinsci org on GitHub. I will no longer have time to do that in the near future and would like to help migrate that work to someone else who is interested in helping out the project. Is anyone interested in learning about this and becoming involved?

Regards,

Alex

Gavin Mogan

Apr 2, 2021, 12:52:59 AM4/2/21
to Jenkins Developers
I'm not sure its a good idea for me to take on more tasks, but I can help out more if needed. That being said, the dev list is full of people contributing, it might be worth asking on the users mailing list to see if there's anyone new interested in helping out, at least the first round of screening new hosting requests.

Aditya Srivastava

Apr 2, 2021, 7:18:02 AM4/2/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Hey Alex,
I am a newbie here, so I am not sure if I am eligible, but I sure am interested in helping out.
I'd love to learn more about the screening part and I've done code reviews before for my _small_ open-source org, so I guess that experience would come in handy.
I am excited to learn more about this and get involved.

Thanks and Regards,
Aditya Srivastava

Mark Waite

Apr 2, 2021, 7:28:32 AM4/2/21
to Jenkins Developers
That's great Aditya.  We're glad to have additional help.  I'm not the hosting expert, but wanted to thank you for joining the infrastructure meeting last week.  We look forward to involving in the Jenkins project in more ways.  Thanks again!

Slide

Apr 2, 2021, 9:52:32 AM4/2/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aditya,

I'll tag you on some of the upcoming issues so you can see the process. We use the irc bot to do some initial checking on the repository and Jira issue to make sure the developer provides the necessary information. You can join the #jenkins-hosting channel on Freenode to see the process. Thanks for being willing to help out!

Regards,

Alex

Aditya Srivastava

Apr 2, 2021, 9:55:05 AM4/2/21
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 4:58 PM Mark Waite <mark.ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
That's great Aditya.  We're glad to have additional help.  I'm not the hosting expert, but wanted to thank you for joining the infrastructure meeting last week.  We look forward to involving in the Jenkins project in more ways.  Thanks again!

Hello Mark,
The pleasure was all mine. I was truly amazed by looking at the numbers of daily downloads and TBs level data that moves around. Also had a chat later with Gareth about the same on an ad-hoc call. Learning a lot :)

Thanks and regards,
Aditya Srivastava

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 2, 2021, 10:33:27 AM4/2/21
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks a lot for all your contributions Alex!

Last year we have started the Hosting Team in Jenkins, but unfortunately it did not fly. At least we have several contributors with permissions and up-to-date guidelines for the hosting process. There was also a significant improvement in the hosting process automation, thanks to Alex and Tim.

I used to maintain the hosting process several years ago, and I will be able to help with processing hosting requests. My time is also limited, and it would be great to have more contributors involved. I will be happy to provide mentorship to those who are interested.

Best regards,
Oleg Nenashev

Olblak

Apr 6, 2021, 7:47:14 AM4/6/21
to Jenkins Developers ML
Hi,

Thank you Alex for your email, I am really glad when we have the time to correctly prepare that kind of transition.
I mean It's totally normal that contribution time evolves.  :)
This sounds like the perfect time for someone to step up, and I would be very happy to help with that transition.

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 13, 2021, 2:16:39 PM4/13/21
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

Is anyone interested in mentorship from the Jenkins contributors to become a part of the hosting team?
I am organizing the onboarding process for event organizers, and I can help with the Hosting team as well.

Best regards,
Oleg

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 27, 2021, 7:45:04 AM4/27/21
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

I have started a Doodle for the knowledge transfer session about the Hoting process: https://doodle.com/poll/xiqmx4hxfdt8s4in?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link . Hopefully Alex would be available so that we could discuss and document parts not yet documented in https://www.jenkins.io/project/teams/hosting/ and other related pages. If you are interested to contribute, please vote for the timeslots!

Best regards,
Oleg