Move stable/jenkins kubernetes chart to jenkinci GitHub org

Torsten Walter

Aug 24, 2020, 3:06:35 PM8/24/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi together,

Maybe some of you have used the stable/jenkins helm chart to install our favorite CI tool in Kubernetes.

At the moment is it hosted in the https://github.com/helm/charts repository, which is already in maintenance mode and all charts from there will be de-listed from the Helm Hub. And on Nov 13, 2020 the support for that repository will formally end, and the repo will be marked obsolete

Therefor chart maintainers are currently moving charts to different organizations.

I am one of the maintainers of the stable/jenkins chart and I am proposing to move it to https://github.com/jenkinsci. I find that to be the most fitting place as most of the jenkins plugins also reside there. It could help to continue supporting it in the future.

Some data about the helm chart. Unfortunately, there seems to be no usage statistics to tell how many people are using it or how many downloads it has.
I checked its git history and noticed that it's first git commit is already from September 2016 and that it received over 300 contributions from 181 contributors since then. An older version of it is even used in jenkins-x-platfrom.

How could a migration look like? Ideally, we could get a repository and admin permission on it so that we could set everything up. I've seen https://www.jenkins.io/doc/developer/publishing/requesting-hosting/, but hosting a helm chart is a bit different than a Jenkins plugin. Also with the recent discussion about forked repositories in GitHub I am not sure if that's still the desired process or if it would be easier to just move a repository to the new org.

So far I prepared a git repository https://github.com/torstenwalter/helm-charts which could either be moved or forked into the jenkinci org. It contains  the whole history of the helm chart. It's using Apache License 2.0, as that was used by the original repository.
CI is set up using chart-releaser and chart-testing GitHub Actions.

Let me know what you think of it and if a move to jenkinci GitHub org would be ok.

Best regards
Torsten Walter

Matt Sicker

Aug 24, 2020, 3:18:13 PM8/24/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Based on repositories like https://github.com/jenkinsci/docker and
https://github.com/jenkinsci/kubernetes-operator I'd imagine that
jenkinsci is the perfect organization for this!

Matt Sicker
Senior Software Engineer, CloudBees

Gavin Mogan

Aug 24, 2020, 3:30:25 PM8/24/20
to Jenkins Developers, Jenkins Infrastructure
We've been fighting with the helm chart in #jenkins-infra all weekend.

Its a horrendous mess full of hacks by people who barely understand jenkins let alone k8s and helm.
Like for example, all plugins are downloaded every time, and thrown in a saved PVC, but never retrieved from there.
They are also saved into the jenkins ref directory, which is copied without overwriting into your install. Which means if it downloads a newer version of a plugin, it won't overwrite it.

I think it's worth making an official helm chart, but I don't think we should base it on the "helm/stable" one, maybe just take some of the useful features.

Marky Jackson

Aug 24, 2020, 3:31:22 PM8/24/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Jenkins Developers
I can help with this.

{
    "regards" : {
         "name" : “marky”,
         "phone" : "+1 (408) 464 2965”,
         "email" : “marky.r...@gmail.com",
         "team" : “jackson5“,
 “role” : “software engineer"
     }
 }

On Aug 24, 2020, at 12:30 PM, 'Gavin Mogan' via Jenkins Infrastructure <jenkin...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins Infrastructure" group.
To view this discussion on the web, visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkins-infra/CAG%3D_Duswqk66igJ5z60JsibmwP2Qo8zk0TTrPvyWJKHhr-OqGw%40mail.gmail.com.

Tim Jacomb

Aug 24, 2020, 3:39:55 PM8/24/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Torsten

We were just discussing this today on IRC strangely enough and I was planning to reach out to you about this.

I take your point Gavin about there being issues with it but this helm chart has a lot of adoption and it’s best to improve what we have (and I’d be happy to help)

The easiest way is for you to create a hosting request in Jenkins Jira, we can then fork it and you can delete your origin repo

Thanks
Tim

Torsten Walter

Aug 24, 2020, 3:40:05 PM8/24/20
to Jenkins Developers
I am happy to join a call to see if we can address your issues.

Torsten Walter

Aug 24, 2020, 3:50:45 PM8/24/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Tim,

thanks for offering your help. I created a hosting request: https://issues.jenkins-ci.org/browse/HOSTING-1015

I also think that the chart could be improved. For example I'd like to get rid of all the XML configuration options. They've been added at a time when JCasC did not exist. With JCasC support now I would prefer to offer only a single configuration option and configuration as code would be cleaner from my point of view. I think keeping XML configuration made it easier for people to do a transition, but removing them would make maintenance easier and also help the user which option to choose.

Regards
Torsten

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 24, 2020, 4:22:25 PM8/24/20
to Jenkins Developers
As discussed in another channel, I am +1 for hosting.
Thanks for starting the thread, Torsten!

Best regards,
Oleg

Gavin Mogan

Aug 24, 2020, 4:25:48 PM8/24/20
to Jenkins Developers
Agreed on all the xml
I think all the ssl stuff should go too, k8s has had ingress for a long time now which handles it a lot better than jenkins does.
https://github.com/helm/charts/blob/master/stable/jenkins/values.yaml#L226-L236 should probably get changed to a hash and use the plugin manager tool (https://github.com/jenkinsci/plugin-installation-manager-tool) which should be now in the docker image
everything slave should get renamed to agent as per the rename years ago
everything that uses jenkins ref directory should get fixed to use the jenkins home directory. I think a lot of the hacks people have added have been attempting to get around this

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 24, 2020, 4:32:56 PM8/24/20
to Jenkins Developers
W.r.t a call, I suggest to do it under the umbrella of the Cloud Native SIG.
I won't be able to host meetings until Sep 18 at least, but I am perfectly fine if someone else hosts the meeting.
Tim and Marky have permissions from those who replied in this thread.

Marky Jackson

Aug 24, 2020, 4:51:22 PM8/24/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
signature.asc

Torsten Walter

Aug 24, 2020, 5:00:17 PM8/24/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Cool! I could try to prepare some slides. Like Kubernetes manifests used, functionality and some reasoning behind it (at least what I know). We could also add enhancement suggestions like discussed in this thread. Thank you for the feedback this will help making it better.

@Marky could you create a dummy presentation e.g. Goggle Slides or whatever you normally use for meetings? I could then start to prepare something.

Marky Jackson

Aug 24, 2020, 5:41:30 PM8/24/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I sent you a separate email with a link to a slide deck you can use.

signature.asc

Torsten Walter

Aug 24, 2020, 6:07:37 PM8/24/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Tim,

thank you for approving the hosting request.That was really quick. I did not expect that ;-)

I removed my original repository as requested "Please remove your original repository so that the jenkinsci repository is the definitive source for the code.". GitHub now shows https://github.com/jenkinsci/helm-charts as forked from  slide/helm-chart.

Is it possible to get https://github.com/apps/dco and https://github.com/apps/stale installed to the new repository? Or could you suggest an alternative for it?

Regards
Torsten

Gavin Mogan

Aug 24, 2020, 6:39:58 PM8/24/20
to Jenkins Developers
For deploying we should check if the artifactory has support for it

Otherwise we can adapt my shared pipeline that deploys to GitHub pages

Tim Jacomb

Aug 26, 2020, 7:23:01 AM8/26/20
to Jenkins Developers, Gavin Mogan
Issues are open now, I've raised a few, @Gavin Mogan (or anyone else) your feedback here would be greatly appreciated

Torsten Walter

Sep 1, 2020, 3:24:10 PM9/1/20
to Jenkins Developers
I just wanted to let you know that the migration is completed and the first version was released from https://github.com/jenkinsci/helm-charts. The chart can be downloaded from https://charts.jenkins.io/.
The repository is set up in a way that it can host multiple charts. So for example the chart which installs the kubernetes-operator could also be hosted there. Looking forward to contributions from the community.

Thanks a lot to everyone who helped making this happen!

Best regards
Torsten