Any issue with the Release Drafter app

Pierre Beitz

Jul 18, 2020, 9:41:52 AM7/18/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hello

 I noticed today that Release Drafter is not picking up a merged PR (label is bug).
The repository (https://github.com/jenkinsci/audit-trail-plugin) has been configured with the Release Drafter app since June 9, 2019.
Last successful run of Release Drafter on this repository is on May 2.
I found

Pierre Beitz

Jul 18, 2020, 9:46:02 AM7/18/20
to Jenkins Developers
Sorry, message was sent too soon...

I found another message from May 16 (https://groups.google.com/forum/#!msg/jenkinsci-dev/g4z-in-uTcE/X9eImwv9CwAJ) reporting an issue too.
I also investigated the repositories that are given as example in https://github.com/jenkinsci/.github/blob/master/.github/release-drafter.adoc and none seem to have had a release drafter made release since May either.

My current theory is that something has been broken in between May 2 and May 16, but I have no idea what.
I cannot find any logs to help.

Anybody still able to have Release Drafter working?
The readme (https://github.com/jenkinsci/.github/blob/master/.github/release-drafter.adoc) is stating that we should prefer the App over the github action, is it something that changed?

Thanks

Mark Waite

Jul 18, 2020, 10:01:47 AM7/18/20
to jenkinsci-dev
The git client plugin 3.1.1 release changelog was generated by release drafter 11 days ago.  https://github.com/jenkinsci/git-client-plugin/releases/tag/git-client-3.3.1

Tim Jacomb

Jul 18, 2020, 2:51:08 PM7/18/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Pierre Beitz

Jul 18, 2020, 3:09:23 PM7/18/20
to Jenkins Developers
I switched to gh actions and it's now working as expected (plus I have the logs in case of failure :)).

Thanks for the help!

Jesse Glick

Jul 20, 2020, 10:28:46 AM7/20/20
to Jenkins Dev
On Sat, Jul 18, 2020 at 9:46 AM Pierre Beitz <pib...@gmail.com> wrote:
> The readme is stating that we should prefer the App over the github action

Where do you get that from?

> It is up to the plugin maintainers to choose the way how they use Release Drafter.

I would suggest updating documentation to emphasize that the GH Action
is more predictable. It is also suggested for new plugins here:

https://github.com/jenkinsci/archetypes/pull/155/files#diff-a5ae691e4fcc564fd4336cb5188cc84bR1

Pierre Beitz

Jul 20, 2020, 11:00:10 AM7/20/20
to Jenkins Developers
> Where do you get that from?

> I would suggest updating documentation to emphasize that the GH Action
is more predictable.

Proposed a change that is also aligned with the official deprecation of the Release Drafter app: https://github.com/jenkinsci/.github/pull/38

Arnaud Héritier

Jul 20, 2020, 11:24:54 AM7/20/20
to Jenkins Developers
I updated my configuration to use the GH action too
Is there still an interest to use Oleg's version instead of the official one ?

-----
Arnaud Héritier
Mail/GTalk: aheritier AT gmail DOT com
Twitter/Skype : aheritier

Tim Jacomb

Jul 20, 2020, 12:27:23 PM7/20/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Olegs patches were merged afaik

I use the official one in my plugins / at work

Arnaud Héritier

Jul 20, 2020, 1:05:08 PM7/20/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Great I will switch back to the official one 👍

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 21, 2020, 6:59:23 AM7/21/20
to Jenkins Developers
Yes, the official one works pretty well right now. It lacks stability w.r.t. fetching the actual changelog. Iit has no "previous release tag" parameter, and there are assumptions there, but my branch is the same.
+1 for updating to GitHub actions by default