Microsoft is going to retire Azure plugins?

hr....@gmail.com

Feb 11, 2021, 5:53:23 AM2/11/21
to Jenkins Developers
Looks like Microsoft wants to retire, whatever that means, most of the Jenkins plugins for Azure on  February 29, 2024.

Is this just another way of putting plugins up for adoption?

Mark Waite

Feb 11, 2021, 8:00:00 AM2/11/21
to jenkinsci-dev
New topic for the Jenkins infra team, planning the migration of ci.jenkins.io from Azure cloud to another cloud provider.  The ci.jenkins.io instance relies on:
  • Azure Container Agents plugin
  • Azure VM Agents plugin
  • Azure Storage plugin
I've added the topic to the Jenkins infra meeting agenda.

Tim Jacomb

Feb 11, 2021, 8:22:18 AM2/11/21
to Jenkins Developers, xuzh...@microsoft.com
I think it just means that Microsoft are going to stop 'officially' supporting them

I assume someone else could adopt them

Olblak

Feb 11, 2021, 11:29:04 AM2/11/21
to Jenkins Developers ML
hold on, 2024 is pretty far for the Jenkins infra project and as Timja says, it just means that Microsoft won't support them anymore

Oleg Nenashev

Feb 11, 2021, 11:51:13 AM2/11/21
to Jenkins Developers
Many of the referenced Azure plugins are not actively developed/maintained at the moment, it practically does not change much. Some of them have got new maintainers a few month ago, so likely there was a handover to another team taking care of life support for such components at MS. So I would not expect much development to happen there, unless there are new architectural features (e.g. pluggable storage) with enough customer demand.

Mark Waite

Feb 11, 2021, 7:41:40 PM2/11/21
to jenkinsci-dev
I should have been more precise.  I think the infrastructure team should discuss the impact of Microsoft's stopping maintenance of those plugins.

We've been willing to discuss a possible migration from the Jenkins wiki because we're concerned about the effort to maintain it.  We maintain the Jenkins wiki with very little administrative effort, yet are concerned enough about risk from administration that we included it as a discussion topic and assigned me to create a migration plan.  If we're willing to discuss the administration risk of the Jenkins wiki, I think we owe it to ourselves to discuss the ci.jenkins.io risk from the loss of Azure plugin maintainers.  If the infrastructure team decides that Microsoft end of maintenance for those plugins in 2024 is not an issue, that's a fair choice, but I think it needs to be discussed.

We needed 12 months to move the Jenkins Jira server to a new provider from the start of discussions to completion of the migration.  A service as crucial as ci.jenkins.io will need longer than that.  Feb 2024 is 36 months away.  I think we should start the discussions.

I'll start a discussion thread in the Jenkins infra mailing list.

Mark Waite