Proposal: Release Jenkins weekly on Tuesday

Mark Waite

May 18, 2020, 1:30:13 PM5/18/20
to Jenkins Developers
The Jenkins core release automation process has released Jenkins weekly versions since 2.232.  Thanks to Olivier Vernin for his work on the project!

The most recent few weeks have run a weekly build on Monday.  The build typically runs during the European working day Monday, with options to spill into the U.S. working day.

I propose that we move the weekly build to Tuesday so that I don't need to prepare the weekly changelog on Sunday night.  That will allow us to continue running the build during the European working day and will allow the changelog to be prepared on Monday instead of Sunday.

If Tuesday is unacceptable for some reason, I'm open to consider Wednesday as release day rather than Tuesday.

Mark Waite

mike cirioli

May 18, 2020, 2:34:42 PM5/18/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I don’t have a large stake in the outcome of this decision, but it sounds like a pretty reasonable request to me.

-mike cirioli

Marky Jackson

May 18, 2020, 2:35:58 PM5/18/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1

> On May 18, 2020, at 11:34 AM, mike cirioli <mikec...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I don’t have a large stake in the outcome of this decision, but it sounds like a pretty reasonable request to me.
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/B92D481E-1423-4167-9B66-AA355442D7F6%40gmail.com.

Daniel Beck

May 18, 2020, 2:47:19 PM5/18/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 18. May 2020, at 19:30, Mark Waite <mark.ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I propose that we move the weekly build to Tuesday so that I don't need to prepare the weekly changelog on Sunday night.

FWIW I proposed my favored approach in https://groups.google.com/d/msg/jenkinsci-dev/kVjOddydLEI/5-xDPIW7AQAJ but got no responses.

Tim Jacomb

May 18, 2020, 2:55:43 PM5/18/20
to Jenkins Developers
+1 to Moving to Tuesday

Mark Waite

May 18, 2020, 2:56:21 PM5/18/20
to jenkinsci-dev
I should have commented there. Sorry about that.

I'm uncomfortable creating the changelog on Friday for a release on Monday, but I can test drive that in the next weekly.  It is a very nice proposal that does not require any change of the day of the weekly release.  I worry that creating the changelog on Friday with release on Monday seems like it would either preclude merge on Saturday and on Sunday (for those who wish to do so) or require that we use a branch for weekly releases (which I'd rather not include in this proposal).

Daniel Beck

May 18, 2020, 3:18:02 PM5/18/20
to Jenkins Developers
Easy fix: Whoever wants to merge something on a weekend is responsible for updating the changelog.

If this isn't done, and you've merged fixes a few times, you lose commit access.

Tim Jacomb

May 18, 2020, 3:27:55 PM5/18/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Or we could possibly move weekly changelog to GitHub release only?

I think that would make it it more less effort by being automated + slight tweaks on top

Thoughts?

Mark Waite

May 18, 2020, 4:02:30 PM5/18/20
to jenkinsci-dev
On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 1:18 PM Daniel Beck <m...@beckweb.net> wrote:
Easy fix: Whoever wants to merge something on a weekend is responsible for updating the changelog.

If this isn't done, and you've merged fixes a few times, you lose commit access.

That seems like it will dissuade maintainers from merging on weekends.

The changelog won't be available for most pull request authors to submit a proposal with their pull requests because it doesn't become available until Friday.  If a maintainer starts the 24 merge clock on Friday, then when the clock is finished on Saturday, the maintainers performing a weekend merge would need to update the pull request they are merging with the changelog entry.

Mark Waite

> On 18. May 2020, at 20:55, Mark Waite <mark.ea...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I worry that creating the changelog on Friday with release on
> Monday seems like it would either preclude merge on Saturday and on Sunday
> (for those who wish to do so)

Jeff Thompson

May 18, 2020, 4:10:11 PM5/18/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

+1 on moving to Tuesday. A nice, easy solution, where nobody has expressed any downsides.

-1 to adding further complexity to the merge process and extending issues over the weekend. This is too prone to unintentional mistakes.

Jeff

Oleg Nenashev

May 18, 2020, 4:35:27 PM5/18/20
to Jenkins Developers
I am +1. we should stop doing any planned weekend work.
Doing releases on Tuesday gives reviewers time to review and integrate changes submitted over the weekend.
I would be fine with even doing it Wednesday or Thursday, but in such case we would be getting into the collisions with the LTS and Core security releases

On 5/18/20 2:02 PM, Mark Waite wrote:
On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 1:18 PM Daniel Beck <m...@beckweb.net> wrote:
Easy fix: Whoever wants to merge something on a weekend is responsible for updating the changelog.

If this isn't done, and you've merged fixes a few times, you lose commit access.

That seems like it will dissuade maintainers from merging on weekends.

The changelog won't be available for most pull request authors to submit a proposal with their pull requests because it doesn't become available until Friday.  If a maintainer starts the 24 merge clock on Friday, then when the clock is finished on Saturday, the maintainers performing a weekend merge would need to update the pull request they are merging with the changelog entry.

Mark Waite

> On 18. May 2020, at 20:55, Mark Waite <mark.e...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I worry that creating the changelog on Friday with release on
> Monday seems like it would either preclude merge on Saturday and on Sunday
> (for those who wish to do so)

Baptiste Mathus

May 18, 2020, 4:54:00 PM5/18/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I'm all for making Mark and other active contributors' lives simpler.
So proposed solution to release on Tuesdays seems easy enough as a short-term one.

For longer-term, I agree fully with Tim.
This should probably be automated and changelog be ready before merging. Maybe we could use some automation and auto-merging way, like the tooling would merge automatically after 24 hours of "ready-for-merge" label + some TBD check on the changelog readiness itself before merging?

Oleg Nenashev

May 18, 2020, 4:59:41 PM5/18/20
to JenkinsCI Developers

This should probably be automated and changelog be ready before merging. Maybe we could use some automation and auto-merging way, like the tooling would merge automatically after 24 hours of "ready-for-merge" label + some TBD check on the changelog readiness itself before merging?

We have some progress in automating changelog drafts, but ultimately this story needs to be finalized. So far a manual copy-editing of changelogs is required to achieve a good quality of our changelogs, still a lot to improve in our pull request merge process.

Speaking of that, would appreciate feedback in https://github.com/jenkinsci/core-changelog-generator/pull/12 which adds support for Markdown outputs to the Jenkins Core changelog generator.
Once it is integrated, we could add Jenkins changelog automation right inside the Release Pipeline.

Best regards,
Oleg

You received this message because you are subscribed to a topic in the Google Groups "Jenkins Developers" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/CAPyTVp3A%2BEcg7C58Zmi%2BeT5jvic5bDRyVqhKbTH8tL5uXse5Ww%40mail.gmail.com.