JEP-224 and ExtendedRead - Time to graduate to GA?

Tim Jacomb

Aug 13, 2020, 4:47:12 PM8/13/20
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all

Thoughts on graduating to GA:
  • Agent/ExtendedRead
  • Job/ExtendedRead
  • Overall/SystemRead
GA would mean:
  • Enabled by default
  • Beta API restriction removed from Overall/SystemRead
  • Only weekly line affected for now, wouldn't be GA in LTS until the line after 2.249
Note: enabling by default doesn't make a huge practical difference as the extended-read-permission plugin is depended on by role strategy and matrix-auth and installing that plugin enabled the permission, which means that any updated instance has had this automatically enabled, as can be seen in this graph:

image.png

Background:

Job/ExtendedRead was introduced into Jenkins in 2009, and has seen many plugins adopt it over the years, but was disabled by default to gather feedback and because of a concern over the permissions matrix getting too wide.

Agent/ExtendedRead was introduced in 2013, but didn't see much adoption as it was only added for the REST API in core, undocumented and the extended-read-permission plugin didn't enable it like it did for jobs. This was fixed in 2.238, with access being extended to all agent views.

Overall/SystemRead was introduced in 2.222 as part of JEP-224, it added onto the initial Job/ExtendedRead by extending the jelly controls to have a read only appearance, replacing text boxes with text, and disabling controls like radio buttons and checkboxes. Initially it was just used on the System configuration page, but many patches were landed up till 2.239 to cover most of Jenkins core. Additionally Cloud Stats, JCasC, Simple Disk Usage, Matrix Auth and Role Strategy plugins have been updated.

I've created draft PRs for updating the status of the JEP and Jenkins core pending feedback.

Thoughts +1, -1, ±0?

Thanks
Tim

Tim Jacomb

Aug 13, 2020, 4:59:20 PM8/13/20
to Jenkins Developers
Minor correction matrix auth doesn't depend on the plugin and role strategy will no longer depend on it after https://github.com/jenkinsci/role-strategy-plugin/pull/139 is merged
(Both have a minimum core of 2.222.x)

Antonio Muñiz

Aug 14, 2020, 7:24:22 AM8/14/20
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1

Antonio Muñiz
Human, Engineer
CloudBees, Inc.

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 24, 2020, 12:31:46 PM8/24/20
to Jenkins Developers
+1 from me as a BDFL delegate in this story.
I believe that the community process has been followed, and that all necessary quality gates have been passed.
If there is no negative feedback, I plan to merge the pull request and mark the pull request as accepted

Best regards,
Oleg
+1