Hacktoberfest 2019 highlights + swag budget request

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 19, 2019, 4:55:12 AM11/19/19
to JenkinsCI Developers
Hi all,

During Hacktoberfest 2019 we were able to attract a lot of contributions from newcomer contributors, including contributions to critical areas like Jenkinks core, website (including contributing pages), JCasC, and other areas. I am still working on the final blogpost, but here are some stats:
  • 124 first-timer contributors in jenkinsci and jenkins-infra orgs (jenkins-zh is not included in stats), a spike in commits from returning contributors
  •  ~250 confirmed Hacktoberfest pull requests
  • Key highlights (Draft notes).  Sorry if I missed something in highlights, still processing the data, please correct it in this thread.
    • Jenkins Core:
      • Update center UX improvements
      • SpotbugsBugs cleanup
      • Code cleanup and refactoring
    • jenkins.io
    • JCasC
      • JCasC demos are now tested within CI
      • Documentation cleanup, new demos
    • Plugin Documentation
    • Warnings NG and downstream components
      • Better support of multi-module Maven projects, Parser fixes, Pipeline integrations
    • Jenkins CLI in Go
      • New commands: Support installing specific plugin versions, support of editing Pipelines from CLI, downloading artifacts, etc.
    • Chinese Localization Plugin and cn.jenkins.io
      • New translations for plugins
      • cn.jenkins.io patches and blogpost translations
    • Jenkinsfile Runner
      • Vanilla packaging rework and stabilization
      • FAT JAR packaging
      • CLI rework: new options, interactive CLI support
      • JCasC and Plugin Installation Manager tool are now included into Jenkinsfile Runner packages by default
    • Platform Labeler Plugin:
      • Added support for several platforms (SUSE, Scientific Linux, Fedora, etc.)
 This graph summarizes the activity pretty well, see the spike on Oct 01 :)
image.png

I hope we will be able to retain some contributors in longer term. In order to do so, it would be great to send them some swag to recognize their contributions. I would like to ask the Governance meeting on Nov 20 to approve the 500 USD or 1000 USD for Swag. It will be used for the delivery of stickers to top Hacktoberfest contributors + for production of a "thank you" letter which would be also included in Swag. Next year we can do more, but even this could be a good start.

Would appreciate feedback w.r.t swag. I will also start a retrospective survey later this week to collect feedback about Jenkins@Hacktoberfest in general.

Best regards,
Oleg

linuxsuren

Nov 19, 2019, 7:25:08 PM11/19/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Give the contributors a confirm is great. No mater what it is. Plus from me.

Mark Waite

Nov 19, 2019, 7:56:06 PM11/19/19
to jenkinsci-dev
+1 from me as well.  Good investment and good encouragement to remind them to continue contributing.

Thanks!
Mark Waite

YanJun Shi

Nov 19, 2019, 9:00:03 PM11/19/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
+1 from me. It's a virtuous cycle.

--
Shi Yanjun(yJunS)

Olblak

Nov 20, 2019, 3:12:35 AM11/20/19
to Jenkins Developers ML
Strong +1 from me, sending a letter with few stickers is nice, especially if we can get a Jenkins Hacktoberfest logo for this :)

---
gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 52210D3D
---

Oleg Nenashev

Gavin

Nov 20, 2019, 1:28:28 PM11/20/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Is there an SVG? I think there's too many colors to 3d print but I kinda want to see it I can simplify it

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/8614379b-10a1-43a0-ba1b-5646683d19ba%40googlegroups.com.