Heads Up: JIRA DVCS integration disabled on issues.jenkins-ci.org

R. Tyler Croy

Nov 15, 2016, 12:51:04 PM11/15/16
to in...@lists.jenkins-ci.org, jenkin...@googlegroups.com
After a couple months of experimenting, and countless builds in ci.jenkins.io
failing because rate-limits on GitHub's APIs were exceeded, I have disabled the
DVCS integration from JIRA<->GitHub.

According to numbers shared by GitHub Support, the JIRA integration was
consuming 80%+ of our quota and unfortunately hitting these rate limits mean
builds have been intermittently failing for pull requests and branches in
ci.jenkins.io.

If you're interested in seeing this integration re-enabled, I encourage you to
contact Atlassian support and help them fix their plugin to hammer the API less
than it does now.

Cheers
- R. Tyler Croy

Code: <https://github.com/rtyler>
Chatter: <https://twitter.com/agentdero>

% gpg --keyserver keys.gnupg.net --recv-key 1426C7DC3F51E16F
signature.asc

Oleg Nenashev

Nov 15, 2016, 1:38:28 PM11/15/16
to R. Tyler Croy, Jenkins INFRA group, JenkinsCI Developers
Cold we just use a separate GitHub account for JIRA?
This integration is generally useful.

Arnaud Héritier

Nov 15, 2016, 1:45:26 PM11/15/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, R. Tyler Croy, Jenkins INFRA group
yes, good point oleg, it was a doubt I had. The quota is by account of for an org ?
Otherwise we create a dummy technical account for Jira ?

-----
Arnaud Héritier
Mail/GTalk: aheritier AT gmail DOT com
Twitter/Skype : aheritier

Arnaud Héritier

Nov 15, 2016, 2:36:35 PM11/15/16
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Jenkins INFRA group, R. Tyler Croy
Github quota are per users thus using a dedicated account for jira may be an option.

R. Tyler Croy

Nov 15, 2016, 3:51:24 PM11/15/16
to Oleg Nenashev, Jenkins INFRA group, JenkinsCI Developers
(replies inline)

On Tue, 15 Nov 2016, Oleg Nenashev wrote:

> Cold we just use a separate GitHub account for JIRA?
> This integration is generally useful.

That would be against the GitHub terms of service
https://help.github.com/articles/github-terms-of-service/#a-account-terms
signature.asc

Marcin Zajączkowski

Mar 14, 2017, 5:08:22 PM3/14/17
to Jenkins Developers, o.v.ne...@gmail.com, in...@lists.jenkins-ci.org
jenkins-ci is a quite large organization. Rate limit may not be adequate to that number of projects/builds. Have you guys tried to contact GitHub support and talk about that?

In addition, having a knowledge what exactly (which part) is a problem in the Jira <-> GitHub integration maybe it would be good to create a ticker/issue in Jira's own issue tracker (if there is none already) to be able to discuss things with guys from Atlassian, follow (potential) progress and/or vote on that feature?

Marcin

Daniel Beck

Mar 14, 2017, 5:28:56 PM3/14/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Jenkins INFRA group

> On 14.03.2017, at 22:08, Marcin Zajączkowski <msz...@wp.pl> wrote:
>
> Have you guys tried to contact GitHub support and talk about that?

http://lists.jenkins-ci.org/pipermail/jenkins-infra/2016-October/000893.html

Marcin Zajączkowski

Mar 14, 2017, 5:49:18 PM3/14/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks Daniel.

To be fair GitHub support responded very professionally. Unfortunately I
don't see any low-hanging fruit :(.

Marcin

--
http://blog.solidsoft.info/ - Working code is not enough

Stephen Connolly

Mar 14, 2017, 5:55:17 PM3/14/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Has the GitHub Branch Source 2.0.4 rate limit throttling been effective?

Sent from my phone