Re: Jenkins Contributor Summit @ cdCon 2022

Alyssa Tong

Jan 20, 2022, 1:42:51 PM1/20/22
to Kara de la Marck, jenkin...@googlegroups.com, jenkins-advocacy...@googlegroups.com
HI Kara,

Thank you for the invite. Are you looking for the summit to be virtual or in person?

thnx,
alyssa

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 2:28 AM Kara de la Marck <kdela...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
Hi all,

We're looking forward to cdCon, 7-8 June, in Austin Texas!

CFP is open so please submit your talks!  https://events.linuxfoundation.org/cdcon/program/cfp/

In addition, we'd like to invite the Jenkins Community to hold a one day Jenkins Contributor Summit as part of cdCon.

Please respond with your interest, who would like to participate, and who will be leading the organization of the event.

Kind regards,

Kara de la Marck
Continuous Delivery Foundation

Alyssa Tong

Jan 21, 2022, 7:00:14 PM1/21/22
to Kara de la Marck, jenkin...@googlegroups.com, jenkins-advocacy...@googlegroups.com
Thank you. I'll add this to the next Jenkins Adv & Outreach Sig meeting for discussion.

On Thu, Jan 20, 2022 at 11:00 AM Kara de la Marck <kdela...@linuxfoundation.org> wrote:
Hi Alyssa,

To a large degree, this can be decided by the organizers of the Jenkins Contributor Summit. Physical space has been allocated at the cdCon venue for an in-person Jenkins Contributor Summit. However, organizers may wish to enable remote contributors to participate as well, through zoom, etc.

Tony Noble

Jan 25, 2022, 6:31:15 AM1/25/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Apologies if I'm way off track or asking something there's a well known answer to, but:

Is there a mailing list or group for end users who are willing to test incremental builds of plugins and report back?

In this instance, I'm at the point where I'm ready to release the XTrigger-lib-related plugins (urltrigger, fstrigger, ivytrigger etc) which have been updated to use the newly-released XTrigger-API plugin, which in turn has been updated to use the EnvInject-API plugin instead of EnvInject lib.  In theory, this is a non-breaking change, as no functionality of configuration should be changing, but obviously under the hood, it's pretty significant.

I'm updating the versions of the plugins from 0.xx to 1.xx to signify a major update, but is there anything else I can do to lessen any potential shock to end-users?  If an 'early adopter' group exists, that would be ideal, but any other suggestions would be welcome.

Tony

Baptiste Mathus

Jan 25, 2022, 7:23:50 AM1/25/22
to Jenkins Developers
I think you just want to use the users mailing list to try and find interested users.

And for lessening the impact, you may want to use an experimental release so they're only visible to users who opt-in:

Cheers

Tim Jacomb

Jan 25, 2022, 7:26:06 AM1/25/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
You can post on community.Jenkins.io and see if anyone will try it out

If there’s bug fixes happening posting on the issues and asking for people to try it

Apart from that there isn’t anything and you generally won’t get feedback till it breaks something

Tim Jacomb

Jan 25, 2022, 7:26:49 AM1/25/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
As far as I know no one uses experimental releases :p

Mark Waite

Jan 25, 2022, 8:34:14 AM1/25/22
to Jenkins Developers
On Tuesday, January 25, 2022 at 5:26:06 AM UTC-7 Tim Jacomb wrote:
You can post on community.Jenkins.io and see if anyone will try it out

If there’s bug fixes happening posting on the issues and asking for people to try it

Apart from that there isn’t anything and you generally won’t get feedback till it breaks something

Tim's experience matches mine.  The people most likely to help with testing an early release of a plugin are the people directly involved in any bugs or issues resolved in the upcoming release.  Even there the participation rate (for me) is usually less than 50%.  Others typically do not test a plugin pre-release.

If the plugin is not yet using incrementals, be sure that you enable incrementals so that it is easier for configuration as code users to decide to test a pre-release.

Mark Waite

Alyssa Tong

Jan 27, 2022, 12:58:28 PM1/27/22
to Kara de la Marck, jenkin...@googlegroups.com, jenkins-advocacy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Kara,

per discussion at Jenkins Adv & Outreach meeting today, we'd like to accept CDF's offer to host a Jenkins contributor summit along with cdCon in Austin, TX.  I'm sure we'll talk more on upcoming deliverables, etc.

BR,
alyssa

Kara de la Marck

Jan 31, 2022, 8:43:59 AM1/31/22
to Alyssa Tong, jenkin...@googlegroups.com, jenkins-advocacy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alyssa,

Fantastic! We are super happy to hear that the phenomenal Jenkins community will be hosting a Jenkins Contributor Summit at cdCon 2022. 🎉

CFP for cdCon is still open and we look forward to reading lots of submissions from the Jenkins community!

CFP closes Friday, February 18 at 11:59 PM PST. Link to CFP info herehttps://events.linuxfoundation.org/cdcon/program/cfp/#overview

Kind regards,

Kara de la Marck
Continuous Delivery Foundation

Kara de la Marck

Feb 3, 2022, 10:07:46 AM2/3/22
to Alyssa Tong, jenkin...@googlegroups.com, jenkins-advocacy...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alyssa,

Thank you for taking the lead on organising the Jenkins Contributor Summit at cdCon 2022!

To ensure the Jenkins Contributor Summit is allocated a space at cdCon, could you please fill out this form: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/e/1FAIpQLSfJGFdQhFAbScBt3y3sW0WCQMl903X9T3ycmix0PpB2Zq8aoQ/viewform

The deadline to fill out the above form and formally request space at cdCon is February 28.

For the Contributor Summit, we should normally be able to provide breakfast, snacks at breaks, and beverages throughout the day.
The form (above) helps determine the number of participants for whom food and drinks will be provided.

Thank you.

Kind regards,

Kara de la Marck
Continuous Delivery Foundation

Victor Martinez

Mar 9, 2022, 12:02:08 PM3/9/22
to Jenkins Developers
Hi there,

I'd like to know if there will be Jenkins Contributor Summit at cdCon 2022

Thanks

Mark Waite

Mar 9, 2022, 12:55:00 PM3/9/22
to jenkinsci-dev
Yes, there will be a Jenkins Contributor Summit at cdCon.  The CDF has agreed to support our desire to bring people together for a Jenkins contributor summit in Austin TX.

We haven't started the detailed planning yet, but that will start soon.

Mark Waite

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/a1ba09a1-7644-4b44-8af1-e7d3049f08bdn%40googlegroups.com.

Victor Martinez

Mar 13, 2022, 7:47:36 AM3/13/22
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks Mark, I'll be attending the cdCon and just wanted to know if there was some rough idea what day it might happen.

Alyssa Tong

Mar 14, 2022, 5:59:43 PM3/14/22
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Victor,

Great you’ll be joining us. Let me find out of our exact date and get back to you.

BR,
Alyssa

Alyssa Tong

Mar 24, 2022, 1:08:33 PM3/24/22
to Jenkins Dev
Hi Victor,

apologies for the delay in response. I was informed yesterday the Jenkins contributor 'eta' is Friday 10 June. Official announcement will be made next week when the agenda is published.

Btw - congrats on being a speaker at cdCon.

Looking forward to seeing you in June.

alyssa