debugger doesnot stop at breakpoints while debugging Jenkins core in Intellij

varun vikas

Sep 3, 2019, 2:25:30 PM9/3/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

I am trying to remote debug Jenkins core code.
I run command java -jar -agentlib:jdwp=transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=n,address=8000 jenkins.war
jenkins started successfully on port 8000.

Now I do remote debugging and set some breakpoints , but debugger is not stopping at breakpoints.
I am not able to find out , what may be the issue.

I have set breakpoints in jenkins\core\src\main\java\hudson\WebAppMain.java file.

Thanks,
Varun

Manuel Ramón León Jiménez

Sep 3, 2019, 3:18:16 PM9/3/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Could you change the address to 5000 and remote debugging on this port?

Ullrich Hafner

Sep 3, 2019, 3:20:10 PM9/3/19
to Jenkins Developers
Try to start with suspend=y (it will suspend the VM until the debugger has been attached).

Then start the debugger and see if the Jenkins process starts correctly. If not, then your port in the debugger configuration needs to be adjusted.

varun vikas

Sep 3, 2019, 4:50:55 PM9/3/19
to Jenkins Developers
 Thanks @Hafner and @Manuel.

After making change suspend=y. and address=5000
It starts working.

Thanks,
Varun