Topic for Governance Meeting Tomorrow

Mandy Hubbard

Jul 31, 2018, 4:44:19 PM7/31/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

I'll be joining the governance meeting tomorrow to make a formal grant request, and Alyssa suggested that I introduce the topic first in this forum so that you will have context for tomorrow. I am requesting a travel grant to cover my expenses to attend Jenkins World in San Francisco as a speaker.  I believed my company planned to cover my travel expenses when I confirmed I would be speaking at Jenkins World.  A few days later, I was told that the company will not fund my travel, therefore, I am requesting a grant.  The grant information is located here: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1xbK9hbEMzg2oXNdxPDA6K-u3IWzbyVs2atqmzHu6VDE/edit. Please feel free to reach out with any questions you may have.

Regards,
Mandy Hubbard

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 31, 2018, 5:41:24 PM7/31/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Mandy,

DevOps World | Jenkins World is a commercial event. Have you tried reaching out to the conference organizer and asking for sponsorship? Usually conference orgs pay for speakers.

If we talk about grants for community members, 2k USD is quite an ask. We sponsor GSoC students this year, but it mostly comes from a dedicated GSoC budget (according to the recent changes - all of the cost). They also committed to do community stuff at the conference and after that. I ask for the following:
  • How does Jenkins Community or Jenkins project benefit from your visit to the conference?
  • In which community activities would you commit to participate (e.g. staffing the community booth during the conference, contributor summit, hackathon, etc.)?
  • Are you ready to write a blogpost and summarize your visit to the conference?
  • etc.
I do not vote against, but I would like to see a justification from the community

Best regards,
Oleg

Mandy Hubbard

Jul 31, 2018, 6:28:34 PM7/31/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Oleg,

I did reach out to the conference organizers, and they suggested that I apply for this grant.

Did you have a chance to review the information in the Google doc?  My presentation, Disposable Jenkins, got excellent reviews at Jenkins World last year.  I did two blog posts before, an interview with DevOps.com during, and a fireside chat style interview with Joyent's head of product management while I was in SF for Jenkins World. I came in early so that I could attend the contributor's summit and dinner. All of my speaking engagements have included Jenkins front and center, usually including a live demo. I am happy to write a blog post before and after and spend some time helping to staff the community both.

I know $2000 is large sum of money, which is why I won't be able to keep my speaking engagement without funding.  If you feel this should be covered by conference organizations, can you please direct me to the person with whom I should be speaking?

Thanks you,
Mandy

Daniel Beck

Jul 31, 2018, 6:30:22 PM7/31/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
FWIW https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Travel+Grant+Program is still around, even though nobody has applied in the last few years. It doesn't go up to 2000 USD though.

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 31, 2018, 8:20:09 PM7/31/18
to Jenkins Developers
Yes. 500 USD is something mentioned in Wiki, I doubt we can go beyond that unless there is a weight-in from the Jenkins board.
500 USD does not make much difference, right?

If you feel this should be covered by conference organizations, can you please direct me to the person with whom I should be speaking?

Alyssa is the best contact AFAICT.

Best regards,
Oleg

Alyssa Tong

Jul 31, 2018, 9:24:31 PM7/31/18
to Jenkins Dev
I think Mandy's travel grant request to DW-JW SF is reasonable. I'll let the board determine approval/grant amount however I see DW-JW as a community event, or at least it contain many aspects of 'community' within it. After all, it is the largest gathering of Jenkins contributors and users.
Mandy's talk was submitted as a community session and I feel that it fit the Travel Grant Program requirement.

AFAIK, the DW-JW organizers does not have a speaker travel budget. They don't profit from these events as it's super expensive to host and deliver a quality event.

Thnx,
alyssa

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-dev/8d2e8eb4-d955-4386-9f38-a6828ed1f010%40googlegroups.com.

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 1, 2018, 10:16:10 AM8/1/18
to Jenkins Developers
If I do not join the discussion, there is my +1 for the travel grant if and only if it is limited to 500 USD.

Regarding a 2k USD grant, it needs a much more serious discussion IMO. One may say that the GSoC decision at the last Governance meeting is a precedent of that, but there is a difference: GSoC has a separate budget income from Google. Extra money will not exceed 500 USD per student which is within the Travel Grant policy. Also, students without permanent job usually have pretty limited financial resources.

I definitely want to meet Mandy at DW-JW, but I am not ready to vote for the 2k grant in the current state. More opinions are needed. The Travel Grant guidelines say that the response will be provided 4 weeks before the event, so technically we have an option to continue the discussion and to vote at the next Governance meeting.

AFAIK, the DW-JW organizers does not have a speaker travel budget. They don't profit from these events as it's super expensive to host and deliver a quality event.

As any other organizer of such events, they do not profit from the event directly. But there is a lot on the Marketing and goodwill side, and that's why these events happen at all. Jenkins project also benefits a lot from this event from the marketing standpoint.

BR, Oleg

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Aug 1, 2018, 12:55:40 PM8/1/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I'm going to miss the project meeting today, but it'd be great to apply the program we defined to help her participate in the event.

Kohsuke Kawaguchi

Mark Waite

Aug 1, 2018, 1:06:03 PM8/1/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I'll miss the governance meeting as well today, but I support the $500 travel grant to help Mandy attend Jenkins World.

R. Tyler Croy

Aug 1, 2018, 1:45:40 PM8/1/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
(replies inline)

On Wed, 01 Aug 2018, Daniel Beck wrote:

> FWIW https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Travel+Grant+Program is still around, even though nobody has applied in the last few years. It doesn't go up to 2000 USD though.

Weighing in with my crumbled board member hat on, I'm fully in favor of
utilizing the existing travel grant program for this. I am not in favor of
creating a greater one-off reimbursement without a properly structured and
agreed upon program in place.

Generally I support increased use of travel grants. I'm hopeful that some of
the "Jenkins Software Foundation" concepts we've been exploring with Linux
Foundation, as I highlighted in last year's Contributor Summit, will enable a
more sizable budget for travel grants in the future.

Cheers

signature.asc

Tracy Miranda

Aug 1, 2018, 1:54:41 PM8/1/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mandy - wow that's an impressive list of presentations you've done on Jenkins! Nice to meet you & great to have you promoting the work of the community far and wide, that's awesome.

All,

Definitely a +1 on standard travel grant.

Additionally I would endorse the community to go further. Having been part of open-source communities for >10 years when it comes to diversity and inclusion specifically women/under-represented minorities in tech, open source communities actually have the worst track record. It's a combination of factors but the end result is the same. By experience it is even difficult trying to find women/minorities to sponsor to participate and as a result we don't reflect the societies we are part of. I am committed to changing this however I can. As an aside I have been discussing diversity scholarships with CloudBees as something we should do going forward - I was just too late in the cycle to get anything in place for this year.  That being said if we can do something more in Jenkins community we absolutely should.

If it is a properly structured program in place then I would suggest something like a diversity or merit-based grant, maybe even more generic like PSF grant program.

Tracy

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 2, 2018, 6:47:47 AM8/2/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

Just to summarize the yesterday's governance meeting (log, notes):
  • We voted for the 500 USD travel grant. The vote passed
  • We voted for additional 500 USD grant. The vote did not pass
  • Mandy needs full coverage in order to attend the conference, 500 USD grant is not enough
  • We agreed to continue working on possible options to get the travel covered
  • Action items:
    • Tracy Miranda to prepare an updated travel grant proposal
If there is somebody in this thread who may be interested to sponsor Mandy's trip to DevOps World | Jenkins World, please reach out to Mandy, Tracy and Alyssa.

There was also a great point from Tracy about the Diversity program for the Jenkins project. IMHO we should split it out to the separate discussion and continue it separately from this request, it is a nice initiative w.r.t. the community health (if done properly).

Best regards,
Oleg

Baptiste Mathus

Aug 3, 2018, 7:58:57 AM8/3/18
to Jenkins Developers
Belated, but I'm all for supporting travel grants for active contributors. Mandy is in my opinion definitely eligible to that definition.