Plugin maintenance: slack-plugin

Gustavo Maia

Jul 7, 2017, 10:28:04 AM7/7/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi. I've been talking with Sam Gleske about helping to maintain the slack-plugin and he asked me to go ahead and submit the request here. Here's the main conversation:
https://github.com/jenkinsci/slack-plugin/pull/324
I've @ mentioned Kurt on the PR as well, but haven't got a response yet. Kurt, is it ok if I step up and try to help?

Here's my info:
Github ID: gurumaia
Jenkins infra account: gurumaia

Thanks

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 13, 2017, 12:39:52 PM7/13/17
to Jenkins Developers, kma...@cloudbees.com, Sam Gleske
Commonly we give the maintainer two weeks to respond before transferring the ownership.
Added Kurt to Cc just in case, so let's count from here. OTOH maybe no need to wait since there is +1 from Sam.

Please ping me in this thread on July 27 if there is no response from Kurt.

BR, Oleg

Kurt Madel

Jul 13, 2017, 12:41:31 PM7/13/17
to Oleg Nenashev, Jenkins Developers, Sam Gleske
+1 for me.

-Kurt
--
Kurt Madel
Director, Worldwide Solution Architects

Oleg Nenashev

Jul 13, 2017, 12:58:57 PM7/13/17
to Kurt Madel, Jenkins Developers, Sam Gleske
Thanks Kurt!

Added gurumaia to the committer list.
@Sam, @Gustavo who does want to be the default assignee in JIRA?

BR, Oleg

Gustavo Maia

Jul 13, 2017, 1:31:23 PM7/13/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Kurt Madel, Sam Gleske
I believe leaving one of Kurt or Sam as the default assignee for now is a good bet. This is my first plugin adoption so I might start a little slow.

Shall I add myself as a maintainer on the pom.xml?

Also, should all discussion regarding the plugin happen through here?

Thanks,
Gustavo Maia

Sam Gleske

Jul 13, 2017, 10:49:49 PM7/13/17
to Jenkins Developers, kma...@cloudbees.com, sam.m...@gmail.com
Hey Gustavo,
Yes, please add yourself as a maintainer to pom.xml.  It helps users know they can ping you as well as what timezone you're in.  Feel free to open a separate PR or update your existing open PR.

Sam Gleske

Jul 13, 2017, 10:57:01 PM7/13/17
to Jenkins Developers
Gustavo,
When you're ready to attempt your first release, feel free to reach out to me for assistance if you feel you need it.

Gustavo Maia

Jul 18, 2017, 7:18:08 AM7/18/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Sam Gleske
Hi Sam, thanks for the help. I've just updated my currently open PR:

I'm still trying to figure out what the merging and release process looks like for Jenkins plugins. Can someone link me some documentation about this or maybe give me an overview level of the steps I'd need to go through?
With that information on hand I think I'd be able to go ahead and perform a first release.

Thanks!

On Thu, Jul 13, 2017 at 11:57 PM, Sam Gleske <sam.m...@gmail.com> wrote:
Gustavo,
When you're ready to attempt your first release, feel free to reach out to me for assistance if you feel you need it.

Daniel Beck

Jul 18, 2017, 7:41:14 AM7/18/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 18. Jul 2017, at 13:17, Gustavo Maia <guru...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm still trying to figure out what the merging and release process looks like for Jenkins plugins. Can someone link me some documentation about this or maybe give me an overview level of the steps I'd need to go through?

https://wiki.jenkins.io/display/JENKINS/Hosting+Plugins#HostingPlugins-Releasingtojenkins-ci.org should have everything you need. Note the message on permissions from the previous section.

Sam Gleske

Aug 4, 2017, 2:17:41 PM8/4/17
to jenkinsci-dev
I have also documented the release process in https://github.com/jenkinsci/slack-plugin/blob/master/RELEASE.md

The merging process is typically up to the maintainers of each project.  As far as I know, there's no set standard for how changes get included project-wide in Jenkins.  On projects in which I'm active I typically do the following:

- Give roughly a week for anybody to provide feedback.
- During that week I'll review myself; build the PR; test plugin upgrades; ensure that old functionality is not broken; etc
- Then I merge it.
- Then roughly monthly I'll cut a new plugin version release following RELEASE.md (or sooner if I deem that's necessary on a case by case basis)

I prefer to encrypt my email

GPG FINGERPRINT 4096 KEY
8D8B F0E2 42D8 A068 572E
BF3C E8F7 3234 7257 E65F

https://keybase.io/samrocketman

curl https://keybase.io/samrocketman/key.asc | gpg --import -

Learn how to encrypt your email with the Email Self Defense guide:
https://emailselfdefense.fsf.org/en/

Gustavo Maia

Aug 14, 2017, 6:54:35 AM8/14/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hey guys, it's been a while but I think now I'll have a bit more time to dedicate to this.

I'm now in the process of merging and releasing my first version. I noticed there is a project setup for this plugin here:
https://jenkins.ci.cloudbees.com/job/plugins/job/slack-plugin/
But it seems to be disabled and I don't seem to have access to that jenkins instance. Can I get access?

I'll move forward with this release because it's being actively requested but for the next ones, I'd like to have a Jenkins job to build it continuously. If this isn't the right jenkins instance to use, is there one I could use?

Thanks!

Oleg Nenashev

Aug 14, 2017, 7:08:13 AM8/14/17
to JenkinsCI Developers
Hi Gustavo,

We have moved the plugin CI to Jenkins' own infrastructure.
In order to enable it, you just need to add Jenkinsfile to the repo root.

BR, Oleg

Gustavo Maia

Aug 14, 2017, 8:20:09 AM8/14/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com