Fixing pot holes in Blue Ocean UI?

Craig Rodrigues

Feb 2, 2019, 6:38:02 PM2/2/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi,

I like the Blue Ocean UI a lot!  I am trying to use Blue Ocean
as my "daily driver" when interacting with Jenkins.
I spend a lot of my day starting/stopping jobs, examining logs,
editing build descriptions, and disabling/enabling builds.

However, there are some gaps in the Blue Ocean UI.

The gaps are small, but annoying enough that I need to keep switching
back to the classic UI.  This is annoying.

I mentioned this in this other discussion thread: https://groups.google.com/d/msg/jenkinsci-dev/zNukeuLK4Og/DGwWnJyGCAAJ
, but wanted to pull out this list to a separate discussion.

Here are my top pet peeves, which I classify as "pot holes":

If anyone wants to collaborate on fixing these bugs, please communicate on the Gitter channel: https://gitter.im/jenkinsci/blueocean-plugin

--
Craig

Craig Rodrigues

Feb 2, 2019, 6:45:38 PM2/2/19
to Jenkins Developers, Michael Neale
Michael,

I submitted this PR to import the blueocean-executor-info-plugin into the blueocean-plugin
via a git subtree merge, to preserve history:

https://github.com/jenkinsci/blueocean-plugin/pull/1909

blueocean-executor-info-plugin is not perfect, but having it inside the blueocean-plugin core is
better than not having it.

--
Craig

On Mon, Jan 21, 2019 at 9:01 PM Michael Neale <mne...@cloudbees.com> wrote:

To Craig's point - that is a great and fairly reasonable hitlist to make something end to end useful. On the first one I put a comment (not sure if pipeline jobs can be disabled at all...) but it is valid. The others are doable (the hard one is editing build info - as that is where extensible GUIs of plugins can kick in - but likely the scope can be contained here to be reasonable to make something useful end to end). That would be great!

For the executors one - we could resurrect the old executor visualisation plugin (this was mostly done as a demo of extensibility, but perhaps it is time to fold it in) - there is some code here: https://github.com/jenkinsci/blueocean-executor-info-plugin which may be useful for that (doesn't need to be its own plugin, really...)

Michael Neale

Feb 3, 2019, 5:06:53 PM2/3/19
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks Craig.

I think that makes a lot of sense - that was kept separate for historic reasons that no longer matter.

I think there may be some more work to do to get it clean (as it was part of some acceptance test in the past) but can continue that on the PR.

Craig Rodrigues

Feb 6, 2019, 4:31:46 AM2/6/19
to Jenkins Developers
Thanks, Michael!

and click on the Details link next to continuous-integration/blueocean/pr-head that
takes me to a broken link.  It looks like there is a misconfiguration in the
settings for ci.blueocean.io and github integration.

Can someone fix that?

--
Craig

Gavin Mogan

Feb 7, 2019, 5:47:00 PM2/7/19
to Jenkins Developers
I've been poking at that link for a few weeks now. I'm pretty sure it's a side effect of the github-oauth-plugin configuration/plugin that is installed but I have to setup a dev instance to confirm.

For now if you login to the instance, the link will work.

David Lin

Feb 12, 2019, 9:03:00 PM2/12/19
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Craig,

I was just pointed to this thread (Thanks @Michael!). We have JENKINS-53022 on our radar already to fix, we were just finalizing some Acceptance Test repairs and releasing a chunk of fixes. So it should be coming up soon.

As for JENKINS-52825, we're not exactly sure if it makes sense to pull it into the root of Blue Ocean since it's already a plugin and was never fully completed. Hopefully it still works for you that way.

JENKINS-53019 and JENKINS-55691 will also be picked up to be completed soon after the next release as well.

Thanks again for your suggestions and contributions. It's very helpful, keep them coming!

 - David

Michael Neale

Feb 12, 2019, 9:53:41 PM2/12/19
to Jenkins Developers
On JENKINS-52825  have reopened and can discuss on the PR in place (as a bunch of work already there).

Craig Rodrigues

Feb 22, 2019, 12:40:47 AM2/22/19
to Jenkins Developers
Gavin,

In this pull request:

which is broken.

Do you know where in the config we can fix this?

--
Craig

On Thu, Feb 7, 2019 at 2:47 PM 'Gavin Mogan' via Jenkins Developers <jenkin...@googlegroups.com> wrote:
I've been poking at that link for a few weeks now. I'm pretty sure it's a side effect of the github-oauth-plugin configuration/plugin that is installed but I have to setup a dev instance to confirm.

For now if you login to the instance, the link will work.

Gavin Mogan

Feb 22, 2019, 12:55:30 AM2/22/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hey Craig,

The short version is no, don't know where to fix it.

In some spare time I did a bunch of investigation, which I don't have access to my notes right now, but it essentially should be somewhere in https://github.com/jenkinsci/github-oauth-plugin/blob/master/src/main/java/org/jenkinsci/plugins/GithubRequireOrganizationMembershipACL.java#L82 (or at least that plugin) and some interaction with the https://github.com/jenkinsci/display-url-api-plugin plugin.

It hasn't been a priority for me (since there's a work around, and I've been focusing on BO specific items) to try to reproduce on my own instance where i can enable the debugger and walk through things.

I will say it bugs me enough that I *will* look into it, just not right now.

Work around
2) Click on redirect link

Gavin Mogan

Feb 23, 2019, 12:55:32 PM2/23/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Okay, ci.blueocean.io has now been updated to 2.150.3, and updated all the plugins.

It seems the CI urls now work properly, and I don't see any issues.

So go us! no need to deep dive into things.

I'll delete the backup in a couple days if nothing else comes up.

Gavin

Michael Neale

Feb 26, 2019, 6:32:19 PM2/26/19
to Jenkins Developers
So just checking in on this excellent list as of this week:

Jennifer Briden

Feb 26, 2019, 6:43:22 PM2/26/19
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hello! Yes, we have prioritized those issues and a few minor UI improvements.

Craig, I'd like to set up some time with you to introduce myself and establish a way to more quickly and directly get your input. I will reach out to you in email via my CloudBees address, if that works for you.

Jenn

Craig Rodrigues

Mar 2, 2019, 1:18:13 PM3/2/19
to Jenkins Developers