Naming convention for sprints in Jira

Daniel Beck

Mar 13, 2017, 3:06:07 PM3/13/17
to Jenkins Developers, James Dumay
Hi everyone,

it seems sprints in Jira are globally visible (across projects), and, when editing an issue, provide little context as to what that sprint is.

I think some sort of prefix in names should be adopted by everyone using sprints in Jira -- basically James D right now -- to make it easy to see what it relates to. "1.1" is just too light on context. In James' case, BO, Blue Ocean, or similar would be helpful.

In SECURITY related "sprints" (not really, but still helps plan) I've started using the 'SECURITY' prefix for sprints. So, for example, the 'sprint' released on Feb 1 was "SECURITY: Collins".

WDYT?

Daniel

James Dumay

Mar 13, 2017, 4:49:00 PM3/13/17
to Daniel Beck, Jenkins Developers
SGTM
--
James Dumay
Product Manager

James Dumay

Mar 13, 2017, 4:54:29 PM3/13/17
to Daniel Beck, Jenkins Developers
Though this is one of those situations where if we used JIRA correctly (anything having its own lifecycle should have a project) we could avoid the name spacing issues (with the added bonus of being able to use Release Versions - no more confusion as to what has shipped or not...)

Stephen Connolly

Mar 13, 2017, 5:07:47 PM3/13/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Daniel Beck
Yeah but then we'd have lots of fun as the same issue moves through 1000's of products because the user didn't know which one to file in

Daniel Beck

Mar 13, 2017, 5:13:09 PM3/13/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 13.03.2017, at 21:54, James Dumay <jdu...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
>
> Though this is one of those situations where if we used JIRA correctly (anything having its own lifecycle should have a project) we could avoid the name spacing issues (with the added bonus of being able to use Release Versions - no more confusion as to what has shipped or not...)

SECURITY does and I still see a list of your sprints in JENKINS when I edit SECURITY issues.

Kanstantsin Shautsou

Mar 15, 2017, 12:39:15 PM3/15/17
to Jenkins Developers, m...@beckweb.net
The best way for maintainer is not to use jenkins JIRA at all. Now it messed with statuses created for somebody needs. While in GH issues you have only list of issues and PRs related to code.

Daniel Beck

Mar 15, 2017, 12:54:52 PM3/15/17
to Kanstantsin Shautsou, Jenkins Developers

> On 15.03.2017, at 17:39, Kanstantsin Shautsou <kanstan...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Now it messed with statuses created for somebody needs.

What are you referring to?

Kanstantsin Shautsou

Mar 15, 2017, 5:03:51 PM3/15/17
to Jenkins Developers, kanstan...@gmail.com, m...@beckweb.net
Triangle and etc, or it finally removed?

Oleg Nenashev

Mar 27, 2017, 4:26:16 AM3/27/17
to Jenkins Developers, kanstan...@gmail.com, m...@beckweb.net
Which project in JIRA do you mean? I do not recall such statuses in the JENKINS project. If you mean labels, than it is a separate story.