FYI: On naming SCM implementation and extension plugins

Stephen Connolly

Oct 6, 2017, 5:23:55 AM10/6/17
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
I have published my recommendations on naming SCM API implementation and extension plugins:

Also my guidance on where functionality should land:

Carles Capdevila Tejada

Apr 17, 2018, 11:10:20 AM4/17/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi Stephen,

I have a (not yet hosted) plugin which does the same as Github Organization, but for Gitblit. Right now it's called gitblit-branch-source, following the naming of the respective Github and BitBucket plugins.

I'm thinking on requesting it to be hosted in the Jenkins community repositories; should I change it before into gitblit-scm? I hope it doesn't prevent users from finding it as its naming deviates from such big plugins as Github and BitBucket :'D

Thank you for your attention.

Jesse Glick

Apr 17, 2018, 12:18:13 PM4/17/18
to Jenkins Dev
On Tue, Apr 17, 2018 at 11:10 AM, Carles Capdevila Tejada
<capde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> should I change it before into gitblit-scm?

According to the doc, since

https://plugins.jenkins.io/gitblit

does not exist, you should use that.

> I hope it doesn't
> prevent users from finding it as its naming deviates

Users will not typically find plugins by `shortName`; rather by
display name and tags.

Stephen Connolly

Apr 21, 2018, 8:59:54 AM4/21/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
<capde...@gmail.com> wrote:
> should I change it before into gitblit-scm?

According to the doc, since

https://plugins.jenkins.io/gitblit

does not exist, you should use that.

The doc Jesse is referring to is:

On the basis that there is no gitblit plugin currently, use gitblit

> I hope it doesn't
> prevent users from finding it as its naming deviates

Users will not typically find plugins by `shortName`; rather by
display name and tags.

Sent from my phone

Carles Capdevila Tejada

Apr 23, 2018, 3:44:34 AM4/23/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
gitblit will be the name then, thanks Jesse and Stephen!! :)