jep-200 issue

eugen.h...@whitesourcesoftware.com

Apr 9, 2018, 12:28:43 PM4/9/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi , I am trying to make our plugin working with latest jenkins release (2.107.1) and encountered some issue.

Reading the blog about the security hardening here : https://jenkins.io/blog/2018/01/13/jep-200/

there is an instruction to run maven command to check compatibility
mvn test -Djenkins.version=2.102 -Denforcer.skip=true

but this fails with "Failure to find org.jenkins-ci.main:jenkins-war:jar:war-for-test:2.102 "

(it does not fail however with mvn test -Djenkins.version=2.60 -Denforcer.skip=true)

I can see that the jar artifact is missing here https://repo.jenkins-ci.org/releases/org/jenkins-ci/main/jenkins-war/2.114/ but looking for other options .

Any ideas ?

Thanks
Eugen H.

Jesse Glick

Apr 9, 2018, 1:57:02 PM4/9/18
to Jenkins Dev
On Mon, Apr 9, 2018 at 12:28 PM,
<eugen.h...@whitesourcesoftware.com> wrote:
> mvn test -Djenkins.version=2.102 -Denforcer.skip=true
>
> but this fails with "Failure to find
> org.jenkins-ci.main:jenkins-war:jar:war-for-test:2.102 "

You need to use a newer parent POM—at least 2.30.

Eugen Horovitz

Apr 10, 2018, 2:26:42 AM4/10/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jesse,

Thanks a lot for your reply .
now getting different error :

Could not resolve dependencies for project org.jenkins-ci.plugins:whitesource:hpi:18.2.1-SNAPSHOT:
Failure to find org.jenkins-ci.main:jenkins-war:executable-war:2.102 in https://repo.jenkins-ci.org/public/
 was cached in the local repository, resolution will not be reattempted until the update interval of repo.jenkins-ci.org has elapsed or updates are forced -> [Help 1]

Any ideas ?
Thanks !

Eugen Horovitz

Senior software engineer

WhiteSource empowers businesses to develop better software
by harnessing the power of open source

Jesse Glick

Apr 10, 2018, 9:50:33 AM4/10/18
to Jenkins Dev
On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 2:25 AM, Eugen Horovitz
<eugen.h...@whitesourcesoftware.com> wrote:
> Could not resolve dependencies for project org.jenkins-ci.plugins:whitesource:hpi:18.2.1-SNAPSHOT:
> Failure to find org.jenkins-ci.main:jenkins-war:executable-war:2.102 in https://repo.jenkins-ci.org/public/

Stop overriding the version of `maven-hpi-plugin` in your POM. The old
version you are specifying does not work any more. Let it get picked
up by the parent.

For that matter, there is a bunch of other stuff in your POM which can
and should be deleted. The configuration of `maven-compiler-plugin`,
for example.

Eugen Horovitz

Apr 10, 2018, 11:30:39 AM4/10/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Jesse ,

I did all the changes and still got the same errors..
I am probably still missing some important stuff... I am newbie in jenkins plugin development and I will be greatfull if you can have a look.

maven fails to build and also this

mvn test -Djenkins.version=2.102 -Denforcer.skip=true
from https://jenkins.io/blog/2018/01/13/jep-200/

Thanks a lot

Slide

Apr 10, 2018, 11:45:14 AM4/10/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Why are you skipping the enforcer?

On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 3:50 PM, Jesse Glick <jgl...@cloudbees.com> wrote:
On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 2:25 AM, Eugen Horovitz
<eugen.h...@whitesourcesoftware.com> wrote:
> Could not resolve dependencies for project org.jenkins-ci.plugins:whitesource:hpi:18.2.1-SNAPSHOT:
> Failure to find org.jenkins-ci.main:jenkins-war:executable-war:2.102 in https://repo.jenkins-ci.org/public/

Stop overriding the version of `maven-hpi-plugin` in your POM. The old
version you are specifying does not work any more. Let it get picked
up by the parent.

For that matter, there is a bunch of other stuff in your POM which can
and should be deleted. The configuration of `maven-compiler-plugin`,
for example.

Eugen Horovitz

Senior software engineer

WhiteSource empowers businesses to develop better software
by harnessing the power of open source

Jesse Glick

Apr 10, 2018, 1:18:09 PM4/10/18
to Jenkins Dev
On Tue, Apr 10, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Eugen Horovitz
<eugen.h...@whitesourcesoftware.com> wrote:
> I did all the changes

https://gist.github.com/eugenhoro/f73f4d666c64ea809e6a6711a0e40ed3#file-whitesource-pom-xml-changed-L150

<version>1.112</version>

Delete.

Daniel Beck

Apr 10, 2018, 4:16:54 PM4/10/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

> On 10. Apr 2018, at 17:44, Slide <slide...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> Why are you skipping the enforcer?

It's the recommendation from https://jenkins.io/blog/2018/01/13/jep-200/#testing-plugins-against-jenkins-2-102-and-above

I think this is specific to testing against a newer core, otherwise there would be a ton of unnecessary problems.

Oleg Nenashev

Apr 11, 2018, 1:00:55 AM4/11/18
to Jenkins Developers
I did all the changes and still got the same errors..

Hi Eugen,

Your pom.xml still explicitly defines the macen-hpi-plugin version (line 150 in your gist).
To build the plugin you need to either remove it or change to the version provided by the parent POM.

P.S: Maven Release Plugin and FindBugs Plugin definitions could be also removed, new Plugin POM bundles them. But it should not block the build

Best regards,
Oleg

Eugen Horovitz

Apr 11, 2018, 9:22:09 AM4/11/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
@Jesse , @Oleg, @Daniel, @Slide. Thank you very much guys .It really helps me going forward solving this ..
After doing all the changes, still having some issues compiling ..

Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-enforcer-plugin:3.0.0-M1:enforce (display-info) on project whitesource: Some Enforcer rules have failed. Look above for specific messages explaining why the rule failed.
with some rules details.. I guess I will need to fix the dependencies version and try again (?)

Thanks a lot guys again  !

Eugen

Eugen Horovitz

Apr 11, 2018, 9:28:39 AM4/11/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com

Jesse Glick

Apr 11, 2018, 9:49:54 AM4/11/18
to Jenkins Dev
On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 9:21 AM, Eugen Horovitz
<eugen.h...@whitesourcesoftware.com> wrote:
> Failed to execute goal org.apache.maven.plugins:maven-enforcer-plugin:3.0.0-M1:enforce (display-info) on project whitesource: Some Enforcer rules have failed. Look above for specific messages explaining why the rule failed.

You did not tell us which rule violations were displayed, but anyway
perhaps this time you forgot to include `-Denforcer.skip`?

Eugen Horovitz

Apr 11, 2018, 10:55:37 AM4/11/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Now it compiles fine and it seems to "play" :) ! Thanks Jesse .I really appreciate the effort.

Jesse Glick

Apr 11, 2018, 1:51:27 PM4/11/18
to Jenkins Dev
On Wed, Apr 11, 2018 at 10:54 AM, Eugen Horovitz
<eugen.h...@whitesourcesoftware.com> wrote:
> The rule violations : https://gist.github.com/eugenhoro/44e1495ff8d182c8760edeec0982d020

Some of those would be corrected by just, say, updating the
`maven-plugin` dep. Others look like real mistakes in your
dependencies. For example, you are declaring an explicit dependency on
a version of `wss-agent-api-client` older than what your other
dependency `whitesource-fs-agent` claims to require, which could
result in linkage errors at runtime. Anyway, something to address when
next updating your parent POM.

Eugen Horovitz

Apr 12, 2018, 2:31:58 AM4/12/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Thanks a lot Jesse.
We will consider all these things when upgrading .

Kind Regards,
Eugen