Re: [GCI-mentors] GCI 2018 org applications open September 6-17 - contest begins October 23rd for students

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 2, 2018, 6:47:55 AM9/2/18
to Supun Wanniarachchi, Jenkins GSoC Mentors, JenkinsCI Developers
Hi Supun,

// Added Jenkins Developers group to CC

FYI, Google Code-in (GCI) is a contest to introduce pre-university students (ages 13-17) to open source software development. IMHO participating GCI is a great advantage to the community and hope its bit different experience for all of us. Last year GCI was very successful and 25 opensource mentoring organizations participated [1]. I think this year we also can apply as a mentoring organization. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I think it may be interesting to the Jenkins community. Our main challenge would be to create enough small tasks which should be doable by a newbie contributor. It should be possible for "Design" and "Documentation" sections, QA and research are also possible. Regarding Coding, it will require processing of newbie-friendly tasks and describing them properly. It is certainly doable, but we need a number of contributors, especially in the following timeframes:
  • Sep 06 - Sep 17 - Applications
  • Oct 23 - Dec 27 - Contest
In my case, I am not available to drive the applications period, my schedule is fully packed due to the DevOps World | Jenkins World prep work. November-December will be also quite busy for me, I prefer to not commit on being an active mentor during this period. If somebody is interested to be an organization admin (e.g. Supun), I will be happy to provide as much assistance as I can.

Would anybody from Jenkins Developers be interested in participating? Generally it requires creating/describing small tasks in the area of your interest (plugins you maintain, etc.)

Best regards,
Oleg

On Thu, Aug 30, 2018 at 7:59 AM Supun Wanniarachchi <supunp...@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi All,

FYI, Google Code-in (GCI) is a contest to introduce pre-university students (ages 13-17) to open source software development. IMHO participating GCI is a great advantage to the community and hope its bit different experience for all of us. Last year GCI was very successful and 25 opensource mentoring organizations participated [1]. I think this year we also can apply as a mentoring organization. Your suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Best Regards,
Supun.

Sep 2, 2018, 7:00:09 AM9/2/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com, Supun Wanniarachchi, Jenkins GSoC Mentors
I'd love to - I've got a couple of small tasks in my plugins, and I've happy to help mentor a Student into doing it. Not only for fun, but also to give back. What should be our next steps?
Supun.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gci-mentors/a0aa5a28-3853-4f4f-a547-7cb816932147%40googlegroups.com.

Thank You & Best Regards,

Supun Wanniarachchi | Software Engineer

Sysco LABS | 55A Dharmapala Mw, Col. 03
( Mobile: +94716326119 | Blog: blog.supun.me)

Github LinkedIn Twitter

Ajit Rajshekar Gunge

Sep 2, 2018, 7:16:13 AM9/2/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi Aldrin,
Would like to get involved.Please let me know the process and start contributing.

Regards,
Ajit

Supun.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gci-mentors/a0aa5a28-3853-4f4f-a547-7cb816932147%40googlegroups.com.

Thank You & Best Regards,

Supun Wanniarachchi | Software Engineer

Sysco LABS | 55A Dharmapala Mw, Col. 03
( Mobile: +94716326119 | Blog: blog.supun.me)

Github LinkedIn Twitter

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 2, 2018, 7:32:27 AM9/2/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

Thanks for the interest. I'd guess the first steps would be to....
  1. Review existing JIRA tickets in your areas of interest. If there are easy and well described tickets, mark them with a "newbie-friendly" label
  2. If the "newbie-friendly" tickets comply with Google Code-in requirements (est. 3-5 hours), mark them with a "google-code-in" label
It would be a good starting point. If we get enough "google-code-in" tickets ready by the next week, it will make sense to apply.

Best regards,
Oleg

Kristin Whetstone

Sep 5, 2018, 12:21:36 PM9/5/18
to Aldrin Leal, Jenkins Developers, Supun Wanniarachchi, Jenkins GSoC Mentors
From my perspective, I'd love to get help with some of the documentation tasks.  I'd like to participate, and would be willing to help out wherever needed.

Thanks!
Kristin

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "Jenkins GSoC Mentors" group.
To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/jenkinsci-gsoc-mentors/CALpo8NuKRZ%3D-qjs91%3DU9vu%3Dii%2BByFwJ6KoVuKu8qROQPd0ADgg%40mail.gmail.com.

Kristin Whetstone
Software Engineer

CloudBees, Inc.

CloudBees-Logo.png

E: kwhet...@cloudbees.com

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 10, 2018, 3:12:58 AM9/10/18
to Jenkins Developers
Hi all,

First question in the application form: "Is your organization prepared to provide between 150 and 500 tasks for students to complete?"
Is our organization really ready to do so? I am not sure

Best regards,
Oleg
Supun.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gci-mentors/a0aa5a28-3853-4f4f-a547-7cb816932147%40googlegroups.com.

Thank You & Best Regards,

Supun Wanniarachchi | Software Engineer

Sysco LABS | 55A Dharmapala Mw, Col. 03
( Mobile: +94716326119 | Blog: blog.supun.me)

Github LinkedIn Twitter

Tracy Miranda

Sep 13, 2018, 6:39:19 AM9/13/18
to jenkin...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

This sounds good. Given we can do more than just coding tasks, i.e. documentation, outreach, training I am happy to help find suitable issues to work on and support this effort.

Tracy

Kristin Whetstone
Software Engineer

CloudBees, Inc.

CloudBees-Logo.png

E: kwhet...@cloudbees.com

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 13, 2018, 7:46:46 AM9/13/18
to JenkinsCI Developers
Whatever we do for Google Code-In, it may be also useful for Hacktoberfest next month. We can use tasks not fitting GCI criteria for it (see the format from the last Hacktoberfest). Unfortunately was unable to add it to the yesterday's Governance Meeting agenda due to the Confluence issues.

+1 from me for applying. I will find time to create at least 20 issues for GCI

BR, Oleg

Kristin Whetstone
Software Engineer

CloudBees, Inc.

CloudBees-Logo.png

E: kwhet...@cloudbees.com

Supun Wanniarachchi

Sep 14, 2018, 5:22:21 PM9/14/18
to Oleg Nenashev, ald...@leal.eng.br, jenkin...@googlegroups.com, jenkinsci-g...@googlegroups.com, kwhet...@cloudbees.com
Hi all,

As we discussed during the last meeting[1] I have been started to create Draft Tasks[2]. We need to create at least 25 tasks before the Organization Application Deadline: September 17. Please add your tasks in "Google Code-In 2018 Draft Tasks"[2] document before the application deadline.

Best regards,
Supun.

Supun.

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/gci-mentors/a0aa5a28-3853-4f4f-a547-7cb816932147%40googlegroups.com.

Thank You & Best Regards,

Supun Wanniarachchi | Software Engineer

Sysco LABS | 55A Dharmapala Mw, Col. 03
( Mobile: +94716326119 | Blog: blog.supun.me)

Github LinkedIn Twitter

Kristin Whetstone
Software Engineer

CloudBees, Inc.

CloudBees-Logo.png

E: kwhet...@cloudbees.com

Oleg Nenashev

Sep 16, 2018, 6:43:52 PM9/16/18
to Supun Wanniarachchi, ald...@leal.eng.br, JenkinsCI Developers, Jenkins GSoC Mentors, Kristin Whetstone
I have added basic information to the profile, so technically we are "green". All main fields are entered.
But there are some missing ones which are really important:
  • Common Task information for students. IMO it should be a page on jenkins.io. Left empty for now
  • Short instructions or tips to be displayed with every task. May include limited Markdown. Example: See http://link for information on how to checkout, build, and run the code. Don't forget to join the IRC channel to ask mentors questions.
    • OR: A URL for a web page that will be linked to from every task in the "Working with Jenkins project" section
IMHO we need a jenkins.io landing page for Google Code-In similarly to what has been created for GSoC.

Anyway, in the current state Google Code-In is a high-risk project. We need more contributors to make it efficient (task editors, code reviewers) to make it efficient. Any contributions to the issue list will be appreciated, this is the most critical part right now

Best regards,
Oleg